Mock Offseason

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That’s an area that’s very doable. It would likely take a 4th rounder packaged with #12.
Initially I was thinking go OT by #44 area and then re-up at OG in the 4th-5th round. Those are areas with relatively good success and 1OT and 1OG should allow us plenty of competition. Now with Madison back in the mix I think we still go OT but we can push OG to that 5th-6th round area.
That takes pressure off OG in round 4 and opens an avenue to use #114/#150 to move up several spots to #10
I see that as a plausible scenario to nab a top 5-6 non-Offensive talent who is more of a sure thing.
There’s only a few players I would do this for I believe White or Oliver are worthy of that.

Yup. The more I read about Oliver, the more I like. If he somehow slips to a spot that we can trade up to get him and not loose that #30 pick, I'm in. I think he could add a lot of flexibility for Pettine and finally make the front 7, along with the Smith Brothers pretty formidable. Sadly, I think he might go as high as top 6 and it would take our #12 and #44 to move up that high.

I like White, but not sure I would move up too far to take him. There will be some equally (in my mind) players available at #12.

Reaction score
Yup. The more I read about Oliver, the more I like. If he somehow slips to a spot that we can trade up to get him and not loose that #30 pick, I'm in. I think he could add a lot of flexibility for Pettine and finally make the front 7, along with the Smith Brothers pretty formidable. Sadly, I think he might go as high as top 6 and it would take our #12 and #44 to move up that high.

I like White, but not sure I would move up too far to take him. There will be some equally (in my mind) players available at #12.
Here’s an impressive angle on Oliver. The Pack has always liked these highly athletic types, but just rarely had the draft firepower to make it happen.
https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/28/18285842/ed-oliver-pro-day-combine-draft-stats

I think #44+#12 would get us pick #6 overall straight up. Maybe also land us #132. Not sure the Giants would want to team up though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Initially I was thinking go OT by #44 area and then re-up at OG in the 4th-5th round. Those are areas with relatively good success and 1OT and 1OG should allow us plenty of competition. Now with Madison back in the mix I think we still go OT but we can push OG to that 5th-6th round area.

With Madison being a long shot to make the team I don't think him returning to the team should alter the draft plans in any way.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s only a few players I would do this for I believe White or Oliver are worthy of that.
I was reading your post and thinking, only White or Oliver are worth a trade up. Both of these players are immediate impacts that elevate this defense.

Of course I'm assuming Bosa, QWill and Allen are long gone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Nice production value there Amish.

A few thoughts.

While I like Lindstrom a lot and would be fine with taking him, it would seem that they have their immediate starters at guard penciled in already in Taylor and Turner.

But but but but but but, we can take a TE with 12th pick that won't start? Oh yeah, I am the master of contradiction. :eek:

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like every year there are players like this that become the talk of the draft, mainly due to the combine and often you are right, they fall on draft day because the scouts and the GM's don't buy into the hype. Metcalf might be worth a flyer late in round 1 and I will probably eat those words when he is all world in 3 years, but the Packers really need to hit a home run with their first pick. So much that if their #1 target is available at #9, I wouldn't be mad to see them work out a deal with Buffalo to move up to get him.
Metcalf is a great athlete who plays football. Get me a guy like Devin White who is a great football player who is a great athlete.

Metcalf seriously underperformed in college. He lost a lot of 50/50 jumpers to guys who are 4" shorter and not nearly as athletic. He can be jammed at the line and taken out of the play. If college talent can do this how will he do in the pros? Some gm/coach will be enamored with the possibilities and be certain they can coach him up. I'm thinking he is going to have a tough time and he wont rise to the challenge.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am sorry for your ignorance. It's called 12 personnel.

If the Packers draft a TE 12th to play spot duty 12 PERSONNEL then we have the wrong people in the front office!

My God your MAKING MY EYES HURT!!!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers draft a TE 12th to play spot duty 12 PERSONNEL then we have the wrong people in the front office!

My God your MAKING MY EYES HURT!!!!!

Well ya see Brandon, the big idea would be to play in 12 personnel for one season and then replace that FA bust crush of yours. Try to keep up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well ya see Brandon, the big idea would be to play in 12 personnel for one season and then replace that FA bust crush of yours. Try to keep up.

If they EXPLODE THE MIDDLE like I believe they will Graham will be more then fine and will get praise all season in this new offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am sorry for your ignorance. It's called 12 personnel.

While it seems LaFleur likes to use two tight ends I highly doubt the Packers will primarily use 12 personnel.

The league average of the formation being used was below 20% of the offensive snaps both in 2016 and '17.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it seems LaFleur likes to use two tight ends I highly doubt the Packers will primarily use 12 personnel.

The league average of the formation being used was below 20% of the offensive snaps both in 2016 and '17.

He used it around half the time last year. We shall see. I'm not married to Hockenson in the 1st by any means.

D

Deleted member 6794

He used it around half the time last year. We shall see. I'm not married to Hockenson in the 1st by any means.

I don't have any credible numbers on formations used last season but it's true that LaFleur used an average of over 1.5 tight ends per offensive snap with the Titans in 2018.

Therefore it's reasonable to expect the Packers TE snap count to increase next year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they EXPLODE THE MIDDLE like I believe they will Graham will be more then fine and will get praise all season in this new offense.

Even if he recovers as a receiver, he's a horrendous blocker which takes on new implications under LaFleur. And he's getting cut either way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even if he recovers as a receiver, he's a horrendous blocker which takes on new implications under LaFleur. And he's getting cut either way.

Well LET IT ALL OUT THEN!!! You have 12 more days to live your 12th PICK TE WET DREAM OUT.

I am not going to FANTASY LAND with CERTAIN POSTERS ANY LONGER!!!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't have any credible numbers on formations used last season but it's true that LaFleur used an average of over 1.5 tight ends per offensive snap with the Titans in 2018.

Therefore it's reasonable to expect the Packers TE snap count to increase next year.

Marcus Mariota isn't our QB so I am not expecting those same numbers to continue with LaFluer. I am also not expecting for us to turn into a run first team.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

And once again if they felt that bad about him he would of ALREADY BEEN CUT.

D

Deleted member 6794

Marcus Mariota isn't our QB so I am not expecting those same numbers to continue with LaFluer. I am also not expecting for us to turn into a run first team.

I don't expect the Packers to use tight ends as often as the Titans did last year but expect the number to be higher than under McCarthy/Philbin in 2018.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well LET IT ALL OUT THEN!!! You have 12 more days to live your 12th PICK TE WET DREAM OUT.

I am not going to FANTASY LAND with CERTAIN POSTERS ANY LONGER!!!

It's so easy to get you spiraling. It's almost not fun any more. Almost.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like every year there are players like this that become the talk of the draft, mainly due to the combine and often you are right, they fall on draft day because the scouts and the GM's don't buy into the hype. Metcalf might be worth a flyer late in round 1 and I will probably eat those words when he is all world in 3 years, but the Packers really need to hit a home run with their first pick. So much that if their #1 target is available at #9, I wouldn't be mad to see them work out a deal with Buffalo to move up to get him.

As long as that deal doesn't involve #30 or #44 I'd be OK with it. The DVC has the difference at only 150 points. Give up our third and and 5th for Buffalo's 4th then use 2 of our 3 the 4ths to move back up into round 3. The numbers work, would that get the deal done. I'd take it.

Also when you say #1 target do you mean the top guy left on their board or their #1 target overall. You would have to think that their #1 target would probably be Bosa, William, or Allen. No matter how unlikely it is that they will fall there are others ways to get your #1 target (trading up) even if it means giving up a lot.

What I mean is do you even bother targeting a guy if it is very unlikely he falls to within range of what you are willing to give up. They have to be in your mind even if the chances are slim because you don't want to get caught off guard. Lets say they are willing to move the #30 pick. That might get them a swap up to #5 with TB. If they are willing to give up that pick they could possibly target one of those three guys because I think one of those guys will be the #5 pick (Cardinals take Murray and some other team trades up with the Raiders 49ers or Jets to take another QB) If someone else decides they want to beef up their OL one of those three could drop to #6 in which case we could possibly keep our #30 and move up to 6 with #44 with the Giants (assuming the Giants are not the team to trade up.

Here is my crazy trade prediction for the draft.

Cardinals take Murray
49ers take Bosa
Giants trade their 2nd and a 5th to the jets and take Haskins
Raiders take Williams (or Allen)
TB take an OL (J Williams? it doesn't matter)
Packers trade their 2nd and a 6th to the Jets and take Allen, or Williams whichever one is left.

for moving down from 3 to 12 the Jets pick up #37 and 44 plus a 5th and a 6th. Who do they take at 12? Who the hell cares its the Jets.

1 in a million chance it happens but it would cause some excitement.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s an area that’s very doable. It would likely take a 4th rounder packaged with #12.
That takes pressure off OG in round 4 and opens an avenue to use #114/#150 to move up several spots to #10
I see that as a plausible scenario to nab a top 5-6 non-Offensive talent who is more of a sure thing.

I'm not sure a single 4th would get it done. Depends if the Bills want to move back or will need some extra inducement. You've' played around with a lot more trade scenarios than I have so you may have a better feel for what works but looking at the chart you have to figure the team initiating the trade has to give up a bit more simply because they want it more.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . .
Giants trade their 2nd and a 5th to the jets and take Haskins
Raiders take Williams (or Allen)
TB take an OL (J Williams? it doesn't matter)
Packers trade their 2nd and a 6th to the Jets and take Allen, or Williams whichever one is left.

for moving down from 3 to 12 the Jets pick up #37 and 44 plus a 5th and a 6th. Who do they take at 12? Who the hell cares its the Jets.
Givens Gutes 1st round last year, I expect the Pack will do something we do not expect. This is as good of a guess as any and it sounds good to me. For some reason, I think we are more likely to trade back unless Oliver or White are somehow there at 12.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts