Mock Offseason

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the sweet spot in this draft is 30-75. So I loaded up with 5 picks in this area. 2 trades down and one up. Im assuming Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, and White are gone at 12.

Trades:
Trade 12 for 20 and 52
Trade 30 for 42 and 72
Trade 72 and 114 for 58
Trade 118 and 194 for 107
These are all in line with trade charts

1.12 traded for 20 and 52 With Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Oliver and White gone at 12, Gute trades back.

1.20 DL Jeffery Simmons -

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

will put him on the PUP. when he comes back bring him along slowly. should be in gear by seasons end and a force in 2021. Powerful, strong, quick, he would be amazing next to Clark. High character, dedicated and smart player. Will be a great player, even if he misses half his rookie year. I don't think ACL injuries are as big of a factor for DL as they are for skill positions. Of course I would rely on a careful medical exam before pulling the trigger. Otherwise Christian Wilkens, Jonah Williams would be the pick.

1.30 traded for 42 and 72
2.42 OG Chris Lindstrom -

Gute shore up the iOL. Will be a plug and play 10 year starter that we don't have to worry about. Strong, athletic, great feet. We need another starting OG and I am not convinced the guys we have can handle it.

2.44 RB Miles Sanders -

all around good 3 down back with good hands. Capable blocker, vision, smart, power and speed. I think he can be an impact player for the Packers. Jones is good - but too often injured.

2.52 WR Terry McLaurin -

McLauren really pops out to me. Think he will develop into more productive WR than Parris. A lot like Sanders, does everything well, nothing outstanding. Very good routes, snappy and sudden, great hands, RAC, etc.

Trade 72 and 114 for 58 Mid 2nd sees a run on Safeties so Gute has to step up to the plate and nab one of the last top tier safeties.

2.58 S Darnell Savage

Has a lot of range and athletic skill. He has the tools to be very good. Flying a little under the radar with Rapp, Adderly, Abram, CGJ, Thornhill, and Thompson, but I think he is right in there with the thick of them. Instinctive, quick and great coverage skills. Can probably play CB in a pinch. Only 5'11". Wish he was an inch or two taller.

3.72 acquired for 1.30 and traded for 58

3.75 OT Trey Pipkins

Played at Sioux Falls, small school. Turned a lot of heads at the senior bowl, but has a way to go. Skill set (especially his foot work) and athletic ability is impressive, lack of competition has limited his development. Will need to develop his strength and hand work. Strength will come. Its tough to teach the footwork. Will have to develop for a year or two.

Trade Pack gets 4.107 SF gets 4.118 and 6.194 with Warring, Wilson and Sternberger going late in the 3rd, Gute moves up to grab the last of the level 3 TEs.

4.107 TE Josh Oliver

Oliver was very productive at San Jose State. Good hands, good routes and a functional blocker. Did well at the combine with 4.63 speed.

4.118 Traded for 107

5.150 K Cole Tracy

Gute likes to draft STers. Okay, its only based on 1 draft, but still. Save some money on our kicker and probably do about as well.

6.185 LB Sione Takitaki BYU

productive player that is athletic. Showed steady imporvement from his junior year through senior year.

6.194 Traded for 107

7.226 CB Jordan Brown South Dakota State -

athletic and good hands and length.Could be a small school sleeper.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nice production value there Amish.

A few thoughts.

I can't envision the Packets trading out only to select a player who will need a redshirt year. I know Simmons is great and all, but that doesn't quite wash for me.

While I like Lindstrom a lot and would be fine with taking him, it would seem that they have their immediate starters at guard penciled in already in Taylor and Turner.

McLaurin isn't a bad prospect, but he doesn't offer the skillset to work underneath and make yards after the catch, which is what I think the WR corps is currently lacking.

Savage is a good pick and I can envision that scenario you laid out with a run on safeties.

I know nothing about Pipkins, but he did hit the agility numbers that the Packers have tended to target, which is interesting.

Just generally, I'd be surprised if they picked 6 times in the top 3 rounds and still didn't find a TE until day 3.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the sweet spot in this draft is 30-75. So I loaded up with 5 picks in this area. 2 trades down and one up. Im assuming Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, and White are gone at 12.

Trades:
Trade 12 for 20 and 52
Trade 30 for 42 and 72
Trade 72 and 114 for 58

1.12 traded for 20 and 52 With Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Oliver and White gone at 12, Gute trades back.

will put him on the PUP. when he comes back bring him along slowly. should be in gear by seasons end and a force in 2021. Powerful, strong, quick, he would be amazing next to Clark. High character, dedicated and smart player. Will be a great player, even if he misses half his rookie year. I don't think ACL injuries are as big of a factor for DL as they are for skill positions. Of course I would rely on a careful medical exam before pulling the trigger. Otherwise Christian Wilkens, Jonah Williams would be the pick.

Gute shore up the iOL. Will be a plug and play 10 year starter that we don't have to worry about. Strong, athletic, great feet. We need another starting OG and I am not convinced the guys we have can handle it.

2.44 RB Miles Sanders -

all around good 3 down back with good hands. Capable blocker, vision, smart, power and speed. I think he can be an impact player for the Packers. Jones is good - but too often injured.

2.52 WR Terry McLaurin -

McLauren really pops out to me. Think he will develop into more productive WR than Parris. A lot like Sanders, does everything well, nothing outstanding. Very good routes, snappy and sudden, great hands, RAC, etc.

Trade 72 and 114 for 58 Mid 2nd sees a run on Safeties so Gute has to step up to the plate and nab one of the last top tier safeties.

2.58 S Darnell Savage

Has a lot of range and athletic skill. He has the tools to be very good. Flying a little under the radar with Rapp, Adderly, Abram, CGJ, Thornhill, and Thompson, but I think he is right in there with the thick of them. Instinctive, quick and great coverage skills. Can probably play CB in a pinch. Only 5'11". Wish he was an inch or two taller.

3.75 OT Trey Pipkins

Played at Sioux Falls, small school. Turned a lot of heads at the senior bowl, but has a way to go. Skill set (especially his foot work) and athletic ability is impressive, lack of competition has limited his development. Will need to develop his strength and hand work. Strength will come. Its tough to teach the footwork. Will have to develop for a year or two.

Trade Pack gets 4.107 SF gets 4.118 and 6.194 with Warring, Wilson and Sternberger going late in the 3rd, Gute moves up to grab the last of the level 3 TEs.

4.107 TE Josh Oliver

Oliver was very productive at San Jose State. Good hands, good routes and a functional blocker. Did well at the combine with 4.63 speed.

4.118 Traded for 107

5.150 K Cole Tracy

Gute likes to draft STers. Okay, its only based on 1 draft, but still. Save some money on our kicker and probably do about as well.

productive player that is athletic. Showed steady imporvement from his junior year through senior year.

6.194 Traded for 107

I highly doubt the Packers end up making moves resulting in them spending their only first round pick on a player possibly not playing at all in 2019.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Packers end up making moves resulting in them spending their only first round pick on a player possibly not playing at all in 2019.
I believe I found 2 starters (Lindstrom, Sanders) and 3 contributors (McLaurin, Savage, and Oliver) but will all become starters. Simmons contributes 2nd half of season. I think Simmons will be a star and Pipkins will be at a minimum a solid starter. The kicker has a 50-50 shot of unseating Crosby.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe I found 2 starters (Lindstrom, Sanders) and 3 contributors (McLaurin, Savage, and Oliver) but will all become starters. Simmons contributes 2nd half of season. I think Simmons will be a star and Pipkins will be at a minimum a solid starter. The kicker has a 50-50 shot of unseating Crosby.

I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about this year's draft class because I don't have the time to evaluate a ton of prospects the Packers don't end up drafting. Therefore I was only commenting about your plans for the first round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when it comes to the draft, I'd just be spitting out names and what someone else said about them. Once we make our picks I try and find all I can about the kid, but until then there's just too many LOL

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when it comes to the draft, I'd just be spitting out names and what someone else said about them. Once we make our picks I try and find all I can about the kid, but until then there's just too many LOL
I like college football. And every game I see, I'm looking for future Packers. It's fun for me to see a kid develop as a player in college and make it to the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like college football. And every game I see, I'm looking for future Packers. It's fun for me to see a kid develop as a player in college and make it to the NFL.
I don't get to watch it like I used to. I catch the Badgers when I can, Iowa when i'm with my inlaws. maybe 1 other game per week. I used to watch all of them I could so it doesn't pay for me to really have an opinion anymore. I did like this kid from purdue I think, wishing he'd be our return and gadget man. But I can't even remember his name, i'm fairly worthless, especially at draft time.

Once they're picked though and I see i video or 2, I don't hold back with my opinion though :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I can see that, however the two immediate starters would come at positions where they already have immediate starters. Taylor and Turner are being paid to start at guard. Aaron Jones is a better player than Miles Sanders. That would be kind of a tough outcome to swallow when there are so many other spots where immediate help would be more welcome. I do, however, think that Savage would start or play starter snaps immediately.

I do have to quibble with you comment that the other three guys "will all become starters." If draft history teaches us anything, it's that no, they wouldn't. Even the best teams don't bat 1.000.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jefferey Simmons is a tough one. The ACL will Redshirt a guy that might have been top 5-10 and how good will he be when he is healthy in 2020?

The thing that makes me really question him was his off the field incident in 2016. Has he grown up since it or will it happen again?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jefferey Simmons is a tough one. The ACL will Redshirt a guy that might have been top 5-10 and how good will he be when he is healthy in 2020?

The thing that makes me really question him was his off the field incident in 2016. Has he grown up since it or will it happen again?

He has reportedly been a model citizen off field since then, and everybody at MSU loves him. These types of incidents always make me leery, but I don't think anything like it will happen again.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry repeating myself, but this grown
Woman was assaulting his little sister. Repeatedly. He attempted, repeatedly, to non-violently break it up. At some point, woman or not, he has right to physically defend his family. Too far, but at 17 and in the heat if the moment . . .

Read up on him. If not for this one incident he would be heralded as on of the better citizens in the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry repeating myself, but this grown
Woman was assaulting his little sister. Repeatedly. He attempted, repeatedly, to non-violently break it up. At some point, woman or not, he has right to physically defend his family. Too far, but at 17 and in the heat if the moment . . .

Read up on him. If not for this one incident he would be heralded as on of the better citizens in the draft.
That part makes sense to me, when I first watched it, I was thinking what the heck is he pummeling her for? but it seemed off and the 2nd and 3rd time I watched it, it seemed like he was acting way more than he was trying to hurt anyone. almost like slapping around a little brother telling them to knock it off, you're being stupid. Still not a good look, but when Amish provided some back story, it makes sense to me.

If they do their homework on the guy and decide it makes sense, i'm ok with taking him somewhere in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good stuff guys....and while the incident still gives me pause, the more I read about it, the smaller the red flag. While I would never hope that something like that is what it takes, but it might have been instrumental in putting him on a path to where he seems to be now, a decent man.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The ACL is one thing, but Simmons also struck a woman in high school. That needs some explaining!

:sneaky:

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that, however the two immediate starters would come at positions where they already have immediate starters. Taylor and Turner are being paid to start at guard. Aaron Jones is a better player than Miles Sanders. That would be kind of a tough outcome to swallow when there are so many other spots where immediate help would be more welcome. I do, however, think that Savage would start or play starter snaps immediately.

I do have to quibble with you comment that the other three guys "will all become starters." If draft history teaches us anything, it's that no, they wouldn't. Even the best teams don't bat 1.000.
Valid points. But the history of 2nd rounders starting is fairly good (but to your point, not 100%).

I believe Sanders is better than Jones when you consider blocking and receiving. Of course it depends on his ability to learn the offense and adapt to pro game, but I think he will start within a few games. Jones' durability or not.

OG Taylor has been good, but he looked bad last season. I think he needs to be replaced. I think Bell was horrible, Taylor was really bad, and Spriggs was mediocre. Maybe Taylor was injured or something and will play his normal self. But I wouldn't hesitate to replace him.

The biggest need IMHO is OL and S. We got 2 OLBs in FA. Be nice to find another, but a starter isnt necessary. I'm not sold on last year as the new norm for Frackrell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Valid points. But the history of 2nd rounders starting is fairly good (but to your point, not 100%).

I believe Sanders is better than Jones when you consider blocking and receiving. Of course it depends on his ability to learn the offense and adapt to pro game, but I think he will start within a few games. Jones' durability or not.

OG Taylor has been good, but he looked bad last season. I think he needs to be replaced. I think Bell was horrible, Taylor was really bad, and Spriggs was mediocre. Maybe Taylor was injured or something and will play his normal self. But I wouldn't hesitate to replace him.

The biggest need IMHO is OL and S. We got 2 OLBs in FA. Be nice to find another, but a starter isnt necessary. I'm not sold on last year as the new norm for Frackrell.

I agree that Taylor isn't a long term solution, so I would be fine with Lindstrom in the 2nd round for sure. But I disagree about Jones and Sanders. Sanders may be a better receiver right away, but I don't think he'd be ahead of Jones as a pass protector and I don't think he's as talented of a runner. Furthermore, he's one of the worst fumblers in this class and would likely get himself benched in short order if there was an option as strong as Jones waiting in the wings.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trades:
Trade 12 for 20 and 52
Trade 30 for 42 and 72
Trade 72 and 114 for 58

2.44 RB Miles Sanders -

2.52 WR Terry McLaurin -

2.58 S Darnell Savage

3.75 OT Trey Pipkins

4.107 TE Josh Oliver

4.118 Traded for 107

5.150 K Cole Tracy

6.194 Traded for 107

Like others have said I can't speak to your player selection because I am not familiar with them. I do appreciate the opportunity to learn about them though and I appreciate your taking the time to make the post.

My concern echos what some have said. Trading down in the first and having your only first rounder be Simmons wouldn't be an ideal situation for me. If they are going to target Simmons, and I am not opposed to that, I would prefer doing it with #30. Either standing pat hoping he falls or moving up a few spots to grab him. I don't mind the trading back from 12 but I would prefer to take someone else besides Simmons and then using the pick gained from trading back to maybe move up from 30 and grab him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Grab Oliver with the #12 pick and Simmons when he falls to #30.

Imagine a DL of Simmons, Clark and Oliver next year!

Plenty of decent options will be available for a slot WR in the second Rd.

Reaction score
I believe we all would love to have instant starters, but let’s face it we’d be fortunate to get more than
2-3 of the ten selections in the draft segment.
One method of securing 2 starters early day one is trading up from 30 into the late teens early twenties if we see a top 15 type sliding.

The second phase is to trade up into a late day 2 or early day 3 pick once or twice. It might make sense to consolidate a bit in that range to get 4-5 picks between round 3 and round 4.
There’s a 50/50 chance that the guy getting picked at #15 is just as good as our #12. Covering 2 positions with a blue chip type in the mid-late teens would be one method of increasing our chances of immediate results. Imagine having 2 Jaire Alexander type athletes by pick #20 area. Now imagine that scenario not costing any picks. We’d still have 8 left to jostle.

That’s why the slight trade back feature works so good. We’re kinda in no mans land there at #12, we might get lucky and someone slides, we might not. I don’t see any “generational” types being there at #12 so the player disparity is minimal.
For those of us arguing about who is deserving of #12.. imaging having 2 comparable players between #15-#20. Were so busy arguing about which scraps to fight over..weve lost sight about picking twice.
Let’s rock this draft!

Hock and Ford?
Taylor and Jacobs?
Sweat and Bush?
Burns and Metcalf?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute is smarter than this. I dont care how fast or tall he is. If even an average CB by NFL standards can neutralize you, your going to fail. I bet Metcalf goes after 25. Only Al Davis would pick him in the top 20.
Seems like every year there are players like this that become the talk of the draft, mainly due to the combine and often you are right, they fall on draft day because the scouts and the GM's don't buy into the hype. Metcalf might be worth a flyer late in round 1 and I will probably eat those words when he is all world in 3 years, but the Packers really need to hit a home run with their first pick. So much that if their #1 target is available at #9, I wouldn't be mad to see them work out a deal with Buffalo to move up to get him.

Reaction score
Seems like every year there are players like this that become the talk of the draft, mainly due to the combine and often you are right, they fall on draft day because the scouts and the GM's don't buy into the hype. Metcalf might be worth a flyer late in round 1 and I will probably eat those words when he is all world in 3 years, but the Packers really need to hit a home run with their first pick. So much that if their #1 target is available at #9, I wouldn't be mad to see them work out a deal with Buffalo to move up to get him.
That’s an area that’s very doable. It would likely take a 4th rounder packaged with #12.
Initially I was thinking go OT by #44 area and then re-up at OG in the 4th-5th round. Those are areas with relatively good success and 1OT and 1OG should allow us plenty of competition. Now with Madison back in the mix I think we still go OT but we can push OG to that 5th-6th round area.
That takes pressure off OG in round 4 and opens an avenue to use #114/#150 to move up several spots to #10
I see that as a plausible scenario to nab a top 5-6 non-Offensive talent who is more of a sure thing.
There’s only a few players I would do this for I believe White or Oliver are worthy of that.

Last edited: