Mock Draft 1.0

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna try and do about one mock draft per month as we have about 3 1/2 months until the draft.
I am always going to assume Thompson is in hibernation mode in free agency, and doesn't address or fill any holes in free agency.
If I'm wrong and he surprises me, us, that's fantastic and a bonus. Pass-catching stud, veteran RB Matt Forte or younger RB Lamar Miller, TE Ladarius Green would be fantastic. Forte I believe is possible. Green, slimly possibly. Miller, I see impossible as someone else will offer him big money as he's young.

I don't know of comp picks at this time, or if we have any extra picks from previous trades. I assume we do not since we do not trade for picks the following year. I will guess at two late comps for us, which is pretty typical.

Each guy is clickable for a basic scouting report.
I usually go by CBS Sports or someone else, to gauge approximately where a guy is slated.
Remember, like last year, Damarious Randall was not pegged as a 1st rounder by anyone really.
And who ever thought we'd go same position with 1 & 2 picks. Anything is possible.

Version 1.0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall good draft, but I think we select an OT in rounds 3 - 4. Also, the
compensatory picks are expected to be two 4th rounders.
I'd luv to get two 4th round comp picks and wouldn't be surprised.
Still, TT usually grabs guys ranked way lower than the slot he's drafting.
He has different ideas than the pundits.

I agree with you about an OT.
I hope to see one take in 3-5 round range, and expect one.
They do feel like they found out that Tretter is good there.
Tretter wants to start though.... tough for him to accept being a jock-of-all-trades utility guy.
But it is what it is.... lotta injuries in this sport.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're underestimating the comp picks. Williams should net a 4th and Davon House a 4th or 5th rounder.

Scooby Wright is projected by more than a few as a late 1st rounder - 2nd rounder. Expecting him to be there late in the 3rd round seems pretty unlikely.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scooby Wright is projected by more than a few as a late 1st rounder - 2nd rounder. Expecting him to be there late in the 3rd round seems pretty unlikely.
Just going by Rob Rang & Dane Brugler there at CBS. Click the player and they project him 3-4 round, so I put him in round 3 for us.
I also have seen him going in round 2 many mocks elsewhere. Rang & Brugler know their stuff better than most. But as we know, there are always guys that go way higher and way lower than many mocks. Who had Vontaze Burfict going undrafted this point a few years ago? Who had Damarious Randall as our 1st rounder this time last year?

It's always interesting to see how guys "move up" and down in February, March, April.... like it's the stock market.
Things always play out surprising at many points in the actual draft. Every year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another wild card for the 1st round is Jaylon Smith. His torn ACL and MCL in the Fiesta Bowl took him out of the top-10 draft category. It seems that surgery was very successful however, and the doctor said he has suffered no nerve damage. Todd Gurley had a similar injury/time frame last year.

His projected return was mid-season next year. Now he might even return before them. If that's so, and he falls to #27 do the Packers take him knowing the risk? If chances of a mid-season return are very likely, with a possible earlier return I say yes, go for it.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another wild card for the 1st round is Jaylon Smith. His torn ACL and MCL in the Fiesta Bowl took him out of the top-10 draft category. It seems that surgery was very successful however, and the doctor said he has suffered no nerve damage. Todd Gurley had a similar injury/time frame last year.

His projected return was mid-season next year. Now he might even return before them. If that's so, and he falls to #27 do the Packers take him knowing the risk? If chances of a mid-season return are very likely, with a possible earlier return I say yes, go for it.
If he's there at 27, I run up to the podium.
I thought I saw him in the top ten this past week or so, from someone.... McShay or Kiper. So I am not even dreaming he'll be there at #27.

However, Dez Bryant, 2010, was a top-10 guy in every mock.... then he slid... and was there for us at that same spot #27 (about).... so ya never know. Same with Randy Moss in 1998. He was a top-5 guy in most mocks, somehow magically slid to us at 19 or 20.....

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love if they got Scooby Wright. Guy is a beast and has a great motor.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scooby won't be available there. There is a draft sub-forum for these. Hope this doesn't triple post... phone hates me.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In my opinion, if a guy who would have been a top 5 pick is available at 27 due to injury, the Packers have to take him. The last thing I want to see is the Packers draft another defensive lineman who is going to be bad to average.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be great to see the Packers sign one of Denver's inside linebackers so that it is not such a "need position". Nate Palmer is horrible and Sam Barrington is coming off of a season ending injury.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be great to see the Packers sign one of Denver's inside linebackers so that it is not such a "need position". Nate Palmer is horrible and Sam Barrington is coming off of a season ending injury.
That would be great..... we know not to hold our breath. I think those guys will command big bucks, especially being in the Super Bowl. We don't get COVETED free agents where we have to beat other teams to win the service of anyone expensive.

What DAY does free agency begin?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's there at 27, I run up to the podium.
I thought I saw him in the top ten this past week or so, from someone.... McShay or Kiper. So I am not even dreaming he'll be there at #27.

However, Dez Bryant, 2010, was a top-10 guy in every mock.... then he slid... and was there for us at that same spot #27 (about).... so ya never know. Same with Randy Moss in 1998. He was a top-5 guy in most mocks, somehow magically slid to us at 19 or 20.....

The only reason why Jaylon might be there is because of the nasty injury he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl. Otherwise he'd be long gone. That said, it was a nasty injury, torn ACL and MCL. Projected not to return until mid-season 2016, so he wouldn't make any immediate impact. On the other hand, reports said the surgery was very successful and a full recovery and earlier return are both possible. If that ends up looking like the case come draft time, then I say he's worth the wait.

On Hunter Henry, I think we'll need to see his performance in the Senior Bowl and his measurables to see if he's a 1st round talent. I have hopes.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be great..... we know not to hold our breath. I think those guys will command big bucks, especially being in the Super Bowl. We don't get COVETED free agents where we have to beat other teams to win the service of anyone expensive.

What DAY does free agency begin?

March 9th

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that projection is way too optimistic for Smith. It took Gurley 10 1/2 months to play again which would mean the former Irish would return in mid-November. But he suffered a torn LCL as well and I have a hard time believing he'll have an impact as a rookie.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that projection is way too optimistic for Smith. It took Gurley 10 1/2 months to play again which would mean the former Irish would return in mid-November. But he suffered a torn LCL as well and I have a hard time believing he'll have an impact as a rookie.
Then it's quite possible he will slide on Draft day compared to most public mocks..... because in today's NFL, the NFL stands for Not For Long.... more and more coaches on the hot seat, not a lot of GMs can afford to use their premium 1st round pick on a guy guaranteed to red shirt the first year, essentially.

But the Bears, well, their high 1st round pick did just that this year, and they finally won a game at Lambeau, with Cutler beating Rodgers. Imagine that.

D

Deleted member 6794

But the Bears, well, their high 1st round pick did just that this year, and they finally won a game at Lambeau, with Cutler beating Rodgers. Imagine that.

White´s situation is completely different to Smith´s though as he suffered the season-ending injury during OTAs with the Bears.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith is being taken before us in almost 100% of mock drafts so far, from the Kipers and McShays, to the Sportslines and Matt Millers and BR guys..... better chance we sign LaDarius Green in FA than Smith lasts til our pick.