MM set tone for Packers' turnaround

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rnaround?campaign=fb-nf-sf50079722-sf50079722

This is about his 4th down play call

well, if it makes America feel any better, the perpetrator himself may have been the biggest McCarthy-basher of all in its immediate aftermath.

"Oh, I was pissed off," McCarthy admitted. "Totally. That's just the way I'm wired. I feel responsible when things don't go well. I mean, my job's to orchestrate and keep our guys in healthy plays and create flow and rhythm for Aaron. That's the way I believe play-calling should operate. But there was too much risk there. I screwed it up."

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent read! Im right there with him on that 4th down. Actually I bet when that 3rd down rip run was called, the decision to go for it on 4th was already made... I was kind of surprised we didn't get it... That same aggressive mindset netted us 7 points to end the half. in years past McCarthy would have tried to simply stop their drive and kill the clock rather than air it out and risk a turnover... When he called that timeout on giants 2nd down with the 2 min warning coming for 3rd down... he is basicly saying we are going to stop you, and we are going to score!!! And that we did! i love the change. with this team playing as well as it is right now. Aggressive will produce more than being safe... But besides strategy... The Alpha takes what it wants. It goes and gets it! McCarthy is getting it. He wants it and he is going to get it!

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another nugget in this story, is a nod to Rodgers' leadership. It's obviously been questioned and discussed at length in this hallowed forums. However, here is TJ Lang saying that more of Rodgers' leadership happens away from the prying ears of fans and the media. Here he is talking about Aaron's run-the-table statement:

"When Aaron said that, a lot of people were looking at us thinking, 'What are they drinking in here?'" Lang said. "Aaron's not a guy who usually makes statements like that in the media. He usually says them behind closed doors, in a meeting, but not to the world.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has really turned things around. From preparation to game management and play calling, across the board, he's been outstanding and had a big hand in this run.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has really turned things around. From preparation to game management and play calling, across the board, he's been outstanding and had a big hand in this run.
McCarthy has been like Rodgers , in that he has continued to get better and better every year. He is on path to become one of the best coaches in NFL history IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy has been like Rodgers , in that he has continued to get better and better every year. He is on path to become one of the best coaches in NFL history IMO.

True, McCarthy ranks 16th in winning percentage in NFL history and second among active coaches behind Belichick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sets the stage for a most interesting storyline if both teams manage to reach the SB in the same year. Let's hope it happens real soon.

After 2010, I think I predicted Packers vs Patriots 3 or 4 years in a row. Didn't this year, so maybe now it finally happens.

Members online

Latest posts