Mixed Signals?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not from the Green Bay area so I don't know which paper is more respected but how can McCarthy talk to the press and have the followiing article headlines the next day?

Wisconsin State Journal
"McCarthy Wants Favre's Decision By Saturday"

Press Gazette
"McCarthy: Favre Faces No Deadline"

Actually, when you read the articles McCarthy was saying the same thing. I like the way MM is handling this so far but based on these headlines he shouldn't talk to the press about this at all, until Favre decides.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I'm not from the Green Bay area so I don't know which paper is more respected but how can McCarthy talk to the press and have the followiing article headlines the next day?

Wisconsin State Journal

Press Gazette
"McCarthy Favre Faces No Deadline"

Actually, when you read the articles McCarthy was saying the same thing. I like the way MM is handling this so far but based on these headlines he shouldn't talk to the press about this at all, until Favre decides.

That is the problem: Nobody at 1265 Lombardi is talking to the press, that is why the media nation wide has to come up with their own interpretations out of practically nothing.

Brett will come back. There is a $10 million cap number with his name on it. A capable player doesn't leave that kind of jack laying on the table. Also, even though he denies this, Favre wants at least one of Marino's all time records.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about the records Dakota. Sure, Brett is saying all the PC crap, but c'mon...he's a season away from some of the most respected records in American sports, and according to Brett he doesn't even think about that?!?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Core said:
Brett's official website got a face lift/total redesign. He is coming back.

Also has autos of stuff from the Seattle game last year...Didnt do that in the past..

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Core said:

uh, sorry to burst your bubble, core but his site has looked like that for several months now. not much new there.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesnt matter about MM, TT OR BF talking to the media or how the media interprets what they say. What matters is them talking to each other

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

Wisconsin State Journal

Press Gazette
"McCarthy: Favre Faces No Deadline"

This is brett favre, one of the best QBs ever. And his retirement is becoming veeeeeeery intriguing to sports writers. Everything MM,TT, Bretts Wife,etc say....everything they say is gonna be disected, stretched, interpreted, and its going to be chaos...until favre decides.

Favre has to know hes a very popular player, and this chaos was going to come sometime.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he doesn't face a deadline, but i'm SURE they want to know what he is gonna do. They need to know. I think it's time to let everyone know what his plans are. 3 months after the season ending is long enough. Mini camp in in early May, so he HAS to decide pretty darn quick now.
If the Seattle game turns out to be his last, i'm glad i was there to see it.
As close as he is to Marino's TD record, my feeling is it would stink for him NOT to come back to surpass that. He's only 25 TD's away from breaking it. He only had 20 last year, but he could easily hit 25 with a decent O line and WR's. Walker will be gone, but i think Gardner will step up having Favre as QB.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My apologies to DePack b/c I know this is not the mixed signals you wanted to discuss. But, on the topic of "mixed signals," might it be possible that all Brett is doing is simply selling tickets for next year.

I see some merit in this theory.

For one, the media loves Favre. Manipulating their constant interest in his every move keeps all football fans focussed on the small GB market throughout the off-season. If indeed 2006 will be his last year, that alone should sell stadium tickets in 2006. Similarly, it could get GB bumped into an otherwise undeserved national broadcast slot for a "legends of the game" or "farewell to Favre" attraction. If he doesn't play, well, then inquiring minds just might tune in to see what the new Favreless Packers look like.

Second, it seems the Packer Board of Directors/Executive Committee made it clear it intends to make $ year-round, e.g., the Atrium, Packer Hall of Fame, Fan Fest, etc. I would not find it surprising to learn that management has enrolled Favre in its off-season money-making plan. Favre's a hot NFL commodity and a loyal Packer. Why would management not utilize these assets to keep the franchise in the NFL spotlight 52 weeks a year instead of 16? Obviously, the NFL involves a whole lot more than who wins a 60-minute football game each week.

Third, individual players have been making their own off-season money marketing themselves for years. If I was a member of the braintrust operating at 1265 Lombardi Ave. I would ask how the franchise also could capitalize on Favre's popularity. Dragging out this "will he/won't he" controversy is a way to do that. Attest: This week ESPN is again running a Favre video on the front page.

Personally, I would be pleasantly pleased to discover that GB hatched this novel approach to raisiing revenues, not to mention interest in the game. In fact, I would consider it genius. In the end, and if true, we may not only remember Favre as the greatest player to ever play the game of football, but the greatest player to ever play in the National Football League.

Just a mixed-signal theory. If it's half-baked, let me know.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Wisconsin State Journal apparently whiffed on that one, as did ESPN and a bunch of others.

I think Favre would like to break more records, but the problem is that he's two years away from having a shot at most of them. The TD pass record is the only one within reach, and I would put his chances of breaking it in '06 at less than 50%. I don't think that record alone is enough to tip the balance for him in making his decision on whether or not to play this year.

vixtalkn, you are a good poster as far as I can remember, but your conspiracy theory is ridiculous. Uncertainty about Favre's future does generate press, but it doesn't sell tickets. Lambeau Field will sell out every game anyway, whether or not he plays. Everybody knows that. And Favre is not the type to get in on a plot with management to sell tickets, all the while pretending to be unsatisfied with the direction the team is going in. Favre is not a cynical wheeler-dealer type.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Core said:

Also has autos of stuff from the Seattle game last year...Didnt do that in the past..

That could just be a way to make ALOT of money. People speculating that he's leaving, willing to dish out hundred's of dollars for items they THINK are from his last game.
Favre's people know an opportunity when they see it.

Latest posts