Minnesota Football Team?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More Purple Karma on the way?:

Is the Viking next to go? WWU eyes ditching Viking mascot due to colonialism

‘Names idolizing conquest [are] out of line with the university’s contemporary values around honoring local Indigenous communities’

Western Washington University may scrap its Viking mascot and is currently conducting an investigation to help make a final decision on the issue.

The effort was spawned in part from requests asking the public university to remove the names of four buildings on campus due to racism concerns: Huxley College of the Environment, Mathes Hall, Haggard Hall, and the Viking Union.

In December, trustees announced that T.H. Huxley’s name would be removed, citing the scientist’s “white supremacist values that dehumanize and harm many members of the Western community.” The Haggard and Mathes names were spared.

Complete text: https://www.thecollegefix.com/is-th...es-ditching-viking-mascot-due-to-colonialism/

So, if the name "Viking" is deemed unfit at the college level, how long before the ever-image-conscious NFL begins to consider the same thing at their level?

It's a PC, "woke" world...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long did it take for Washington to finally give up the Redskins name? Decades if I remember. Atlanta still has the Braves. I would guess that colleges are more susceptible because the students are so much more idealistic and demanding. I think that it would take a public outcry about "Vikings" to really affect the pro football team. Then again, I could easily be wrong.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long did it take for Washington to finally give up the Redskins name? Decades if I remember. Atlanta still has the Braves. I would guess that colleges are more susceptible because the students are so much more idealistic and demanding. I think that it would take a public outcry about "Vikings" to really affect the pro football team. Then again, I could easily be wrong.

Who knows?

I just thought it was one more thing for the little sister team to the west to fret over.

I mean, who's going to tell Ragnor?

Skol!

:laugh:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah ok...the conquering Norse are all offended...Ireland too lol....the Celtics will be changed as well...pfff....come on!!! lol Now I can see a few disgruntled Englishmen wanting a name changed from the Americans to Little Brothers...this pc crap is going to a new all time ridiculous level...lol

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Vikings' name changes, it won't be for a long time. But I'll never say never.

The two teams who might be next in line for a name change though (in the NFL) are the Chiefs and 49ers. Based on how things have been going, it's only a matter of time before the Chiefs are forced to abandon their name. It won't happen immediately, but as a society, I think we are heading down a path where names at all associated with American Indians will be considered unacceptable. Thus, I expect the Braves to change at some point too.

As for the 49ers, I'm surprised the name hasn't come under more criticism. I've seen a few pieces here and there arguing for a name change, but not too much. I suspect that's because most people are ignorant of what the actual "forty-niners" did in California. They effectively perpetrated a genocide against the Native inhabitants and basically enslaved many of the survivors. Not a great record. So I could see San Francisco coming under pressure someday too.

Reaction score
These people spending this type time with this name changing stuff make me feel like I’m a NASA scientist. How dumb can you be. Dumb as a tick! Talk about a waste of time and resources. Almost doesn’t deserve the dignity of a response kinda dumb. As a society we are going absolutely backwards in intelligence

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Vikings' name changes, it won't be for a long time. But I'll never say never.

The two teams who might be next in line for a name change though (in the NFL) are the Chiefs and 49ers. Based on how things have been going, it's only a matter of time before the Chiefs are forced to abandon their name. It won't happen immediately, but as a society, I think we are heading down a path where names at all associated with American Indians will be considered unacceptable. Thus, I expect the Braves to change at some point too.
How did this term get by the censors? :)

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get ready for:

NFC North:

Green Bay Smokestacks (packing plants all offended)
Minnesota Deer Beer Cans (Norway Sweden Finland Iceland Ireland all offended)
Detroit Bankrupt Auto Dealers (cougars and lions offended)
Chicago Lake Michigans (all brown grizzly polar bears offended)

lol...I can see the Chiefs changing. the 49ers is more ambiguous..gold rush moved folks to that area...what they did to get there is another story. Suggestions for KC: the Barbeques, the Fountains, the Artisans. How ridiculous. Suggestions for SF: The Golden Bridges, The Cable Cars, the Redwoods. Ridiculous. lol

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL not surprised one bit the biggest cry baby generation would cry about vikings as bad bad people in history.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The proper response is to laugh at such deluded people and then ignore them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Those white dudes who worked for Acme were surely all racists.

Bears kill people.

Lions have frequently been a symbol co-opted by tyrannical rules, like the English monarchy.

Ravens are associated with eating the dead on the battlefield.

“Bengal” is taken from a region of SE Asia that’s long been subject to colonial oppression.

The Browns being stolen by Baltimore reminds us of this country’s history with stealing things.

Steelers just reminds us of how hard labor unions have had to fight against horrible capitalist pigs.

Patriots is jingoistic.

The Bills’ logo is a bison, which nearly went extinct because of colonial expansion.

Jets have long been a tool of the oppressive US military.

Dolphins are too good to be co-opted by a team in a state where RON DESANTIS is governor.

Cowboys are historically guilty of genocide of indigenous peoples.

Eagles are the symbol of the systemically racist USA.

Giants suggest that being big is better than being small, which is sizist.

The WFT is associated with slave holder George Washington.

Texans stole their land from Mexico.

The Titans fought the Greek gods which is surely a problem (maybe they’re Christians! Shock and horror!).

Colts were used by colonialists to conquer super peaceful tribes who had definitely never fought and enslaved each other.

Jaguars are native to South America so it’s cultural appropriation to use them as a mascot in Florida. Also DeSantis is ******.

Saints are associated with the Roman Catholic Church. Enough said.

Buccaneers are just gussied up thieves. And not the good kind (the mascot is a white guy).

Falcons were used by the 1% throughout history as a sporting bird.

Panthers are appropriated from the Black Panther Party, who definitely aren’t ethnocentric racists.

The Charger lightning bolt reminds us how many POC around the world don’t have access to cheap electronics.

CHIEFS?! Are you serious?!

The Broncos’ fan base is lily white.

Raiders— see Bucs.

Cardinals— see Saints.

49ers stole land to look for gold.

The Rams— see Browns.

Seahawks are from Seattle, home of CHAZ. So they’re all set.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sadly they are getting the last laugh since they are getting their ways.

Only because people are scared of them. The vast majority of the country isn’t here for the ********. But these wokesters are a fascistic minority. If you stand in their way, they try to burn you down. But if everyone did it, they’d be screwed.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only because people are scared of them. The vast majority of the country isn’t here for the ********. But these wokesters are a fascistic minority. If you stand in their way, they try to burn you down. But if everyone did it, they’d be screwed.
Such is ironic because that is their mantra at calling everyone else fascists to get their ways.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Such is ironic because that is their mantra at calling everyone else fascists to get their ways.

Yep. It’s absurdist comedy.

So-called “anti fascists” are a bunch of criminal rejects who use violence to enforce their ideologies on their communities.

You might as well call the slave-holding south an anti-racist community.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it means getting rid of that stupid horn, i'm all for it.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These people spending this type time with this name changing stuff make me feel like I’m a NASA scientist. How dumb can you be. Dumb as a tick! Talk about a waste of time and resources. Almost doesn’t deserve the dignity of a response kinda dumb. As a society we are going absolutely backwards in intelligence
LOL Wouldn't be surprised if you got the boot with this post. That is how sensitive we are today.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those white dudes who worked for Acme were surely all racists.

Bears kill people.

Lions have frequently been a symbol co-opted by tyrannical rules, like the English monarchy.

Ravens are associated with eating the dead on the battlefield.

“Bengal” is taken from a region of SE Asia that’s long been subject to colonial oppression.

The Browns being stolen by Baltimore reminds us of this country’s history with stealing things.

Steelers just reminds us of how hard labor unions have had to fight against horrible capitalist pigs.

Patriots is jingoistic.

The Bills’ logo is a bison, which nearly went extinct because of colonial expansion.

Jets have long been a tool of the oppressive US military.

Dolphins are too good to be co-opted by a team in a state where RON DESANTIS is governor.

Cowboys are historically guilty of genocide of indigenous peoples.

Eagles are the symbol of the systemically racist USA.

Giants suggest that being big is better than being small, which is sizist.

The WFT is associated with slave holder George Washington.

Texans stole their land from Mexico.

The Titans fought the Greek gods which is surely a problem (maybe they’re Christians! Shock and horror!).

Colts were used by colonialists to conquer super peaceful tribes who had definitely never fought and enslaved each other.

Jaguars are native to South America so it’s cultural appropriation to use them as a mascot in Florida. Also DeSantis is ******.

Saints are associated with the Roman Catholic Church. Enough said.

Buccaneers are just gussied up thieves. And not the good kind (the mascot is a white guy).

Falcons were used by the 1% throughout history as a sporting bird.

Panthers are appropriated from the Black Panther Party, who definitely aren’t ethnocentric racists.

The Charger lightning bolt reminds us how many POC around the world don’t have access to cheap electronics.

CHIEFS?! Are you serious?!

The Broncos’ fan base is lily white.

Raiders— see Bucs.

Cardinals— see Saints.

49ers stole land to look for gold.

The Rams— see Browns.

Seahawks are from Seattle, home of CHAZ. So they’re all set.
Bears don't kill people, bears with guns kill people.

I'm just glad you did the Bears first because its the only thing I could think of. The rest are pretty good too.

Acme was instrumental in attempting to wipe out the entire population of a certain South Western species of fast running birds (I tried)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the heck is going on in our universities? This is just the latest in a very long line of candidates for dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I’m a Canadian Native can you please explain this to me? I agree that some sporting names shouldn’t change if they are non offensive ie. Braves, Chiefs. But it also depends on the organization and their relationship with those communities. I see the Florida Seminoles embrace the Seminole nation including them in all that they do. This is a great partnership. But to have an overtly racist name as the Redskins with no attachment to any direct community that’s horrible and should 100% change.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
In the US at least, "Indian" is widely used in Native communities, although not in Canada.
‘Indian’ is a term used in Canada but also the term Native and Métis. Métis are halfbreeds of French and Indian decent and Natives is more of a general term including all Indians, Inuit, Métis or any other mixed descendants.

Members online

Latest posts