Minkah Fitzpatrick went to Steelers

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before drafting Alexander, Jackson and Savage, as well as paying Amos a ton of money, I might have agreed with some that the Packers needed to go after Fitzpatrick and a first rounder was well worth the risk. Toss in the fact that King appears to possibly (fingers crossed) be healthy and I think investing a first rounder in MF would have been a luxury overspend on the Packers part. One that would probably improve the defense, but could later prevent you from upgrading the Offense, either by using that pick in a trade or selecting an offensive player in Rd 1 in 2020. 2 years ago, had that deal been available, I think many of us would have been wringing our hands together and clamoring for Gute to pull the trigger.

Also, even if Gute was somehow involved in negotiations with Miami, much like the Mack deal, the Packers probably loose out on matching Pittsburgh's offer, since I would guess that most now view the Steelers pick as potentially much more valuable.
All good points. Picking up MF would have been a luxury and not worth a #1 pick. GB is going to have to use the draft to pick up a legitimate starting QB, and it might be round 1 next year. OR they pick up an impact player on offense. Either way, the time was just not right to add MF, especially for a 1st rounder. The D seems to be pretty well staffed at all position groups, with the exception of ILB. Losing Greene hurts, but is hardly catastrophic.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All good points. Picking up MF would have been a luxury and not worth a #1 pick.

Yup and as it turns out, we probably wouldn't have gotten him for just a first. Miami had to be viewing the 0-2, down a starting FHOF QB Steelers, as a team that is going to end up with a much higher first rounder than the Packers.

Jackson and a 3rd rounder and I would have been just fine with that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have any information that the Packers were prepared to offer their 1st round pick, but even if they had, the Dolphins, making the same calculation that Oakland did with Mack, would surely accept Pittsburgh's over anyone else's because it stands the best chance of being a really high pick.
Well, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to the Steelers this year. Big Ben, Brown, and Bell now all gone. And while I think Tomlinson is a good coach, he’s a little like MM in terms of staleness. Miami made the right decision, not so sure about the Steelers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So because the steelers might be foolish and use him at a position that's not his best (we'll see where he actually lines up), that's supposed to be a mic drop? You do remember when McCarthy wouldn't play Aaron Jones over Williams, right? Did that mean Jones wasn't that good? Coaches aren't always that smart about things.

Question, how many games has King played? Answer, 17! How many has Minkah played? 18! Minkah has been very good at corner in those games, King has occasionally been good. How do you even think the two players are comparable?!

Minkah has been (college, Miami) and is an excellent slot corner with versatility to play safety, which is why the Steelers are probably planning to use him as a FS who can roll down and cover the slot. He's very good at it.

Kevin King is a true, outside, man to man corner. We all know that he has struggled to stay on the field. But when he's on it, he's developed into a strong, playmaking, man-cover corner.

Now if someone wanted to say that Minkah is more valuable because he's more durable, I would agree. But in their current status, King is the better player. Minkah is also younger and could grow into a better player than he was last year. But that's projection, not analysis.

So I guess to answer the question "How do you even think the two players are comparable?!" I would say based on watching them play football. I'm sorry if that has you riled up.

Members online

Latest posts