Mike Sherman - Your thoughts...

Victor Charlie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Packers Fans.

New here.

Congrats on the season so far!

Quick question as I am a Bucs fan without a coach.

Obviously you may have heard that the Bucs are set to interview Mike Sherman for the head coaching job. All I know of Mike Sherman is what I've seen on TV during his days at GB and Texas A&M.

He seemed quite successful as your head coach during his tenure, but having Favre as your QB doesn't hurt either.

So, not to take you away from playoff talk, what are your thoughts on Mike Sherman and what can we, as Bucs fans, expect if he is indeed hired for the job?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mike did an OK job. He inherited a fantastic roster and did well with that roster. He was GM as well, which I think was bad for his tenure here. He had problems with scouting. Behold, Exhibit A:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He also overpaid to keep some stars at the expense of roster depth.Packer fans these days know full well the value of a deep roster. My main complaint with Sherman was that, in my opinion, he let Brett do whatever the hell he wanted. That was a bad move that led to sloppy play by Brett and an undermining of Mike's authority for the team. I would imagine he's learned a lot from that experience.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Not a good choice at all.

Think Tampa needs to redefine their management, think Raheem Morris was just the fall guy....the problem goes deeper than him.

OP
OP
V

Victor Charlie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the entire staff has been let go. Mark Dominik (GM) is all that's left. Do you think Sherman has the ability to put together a quality staff?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great OC. More of running OC than a passing OC.

As a HC, he wasn't bad, but when he got GM powers he was way overwhelmed. Maybe Brett was too much for him, Sherman was a terrific, terrific guy but his biggest mistake was to build the team around Favre. All the FAs, all the drafts, every move he made was towards winning a SB with Favre still playing, the future be damned. He was the one who gave Favre a separate locker room. His intentions were good, and he found plenty of good players, but it was a failure.

His "stats" are great, 5 of 6 were winning seasons, two 12-4 and two 10-6 seasons, and we went to the playoffs every year, except his first and last. And maybe he improved with the college experience.

But, IMHO, he's an OC, not a HC.

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
As a head coach he has the potential to be a good fit, not great but not terrible. He should NEVER, EVER again be a GM in the NFL though, but if it's just a head coach you need he's not a bad option. I guess average is the word I would use to describe him.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sherman is a good man and a good coach. His downfall was being given the keys to the kingdom in addition to being the Head Coach. Just my opinion -- plus, anywhere else, he wouldn't have to deal with an egocentric megalomaniac behind center -- even though one could say that the egocentric megalomaniac was his bread and butter... still... good guy and all.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I always thought he told Favre to go out there and do his thing, throw bombs in between the run plays,it god old after a while. Without Favre, Sherman would not have had those winning seasons. I know everyone loves bashing on Favre these days, but he was starting to age with Sherman and still had his good days as he had his bad ones.

The one thing I am critical about in Tampa Bay is how Raheem Morris failed to utilize LaGaurette Blount. That guy is a beast running all over the place, when they would run the ball, and get a good gain, it never seemed like they tried to use him as a real weapon. They didn't run slant screens or anything to him. Sherman does like to run the ball, maybe he could put Blount to use cause I don't think Raheem had a clue what he was doing, and Josh Freeman looked great last year but overall I knew he'd have problems if they started throwing it 40 times a game. I like the kid but I think Morris has ruined him, he's totally went backwards.

Reaction score
He doesn't get along with WRs looking for new contracts.
Isn't afraid to call out Warren Sapp
Did alright as an OC/Playcaller kind of.... he'd be better than The Bucs previous OC.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Without Favre, Sherman would not have had those winning seasons.

Perhaps. Favre deserves some credit for the success in the regular season. But, he had a great o-line and running game, too.

However, Sherman's playoff losses were almost all caused by Favre falling apart. Favre's interceptions in the postseason cost Sherman every chance he had for playoff success (ditto for McCarthy in 2007 when Favre wilted vs. the Giants).

As for Tampa Bay, Sherman would be a huge upgrade over Morris.

OP
OP
V

Victor Charlie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything I've read about Mike Sherman as a person (character, professionalism, coaching-style, etc.) seems like he would at least get our young team back on the right track. However, I don't know if this hire is what the community would embrace as far as getting fans back in the stadium.

I know you can't run a team based off fan's opinions and such, but I think a big splash is needed and I don't know if Mike Sherman fits that bill. If he is hired, I wonder how much slack he will be given before ownership pulls the trigger again.

It can't get any worse around here. Thinking positively, the only way to go is up.

Members online

Latest posts