Mike Pettine's Defence

Sky King

Reaction score
I think a solid analysis is in order, which I'm sure MLF and Gute will do. We have holes and ILB and DL. You have to look at their performance in depth and determine if it is an individual performance issue or a scheme issue. If they feel like it is more of a personnel deficiency, then he legitimately should get a third year with those positions addressed. If the evidence does not point to insufficient talent, then yeah, he should go. I'm sure they'll be examining the issue in detail starting tomorrow and will make an informed decision soon enough.

BTW, before you fire one coach, you need to have some replacement candidates in mind. So who are you thinking of here?
It’s both. The D, especially the DL stunk the joint up. But the preparation by the coaches was equally terrible and the results proved it. Derrick Henry might have put up 350+ yards on that woeful D and scheme. D.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well this is a post NFCC view of Pettines hate to call it that Defense, this team was not prepared (on the coach), tackling is still bad (coaching) couldn’t stop the run(coaching GM) what the heck was a sliding tackling attempt going to do! No adjustment (coaching) not enough talent (GM) just plain soft (players)..

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think pettine time is up. If it wasn’t for the smith bros I think this D might have ranked close to last. But I will say this. Kevin king started the year off rough but man the 2nd half of the season he stepped up. Pettine has to go tho.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a solid analysis is in order, which I'm sure MLF and Gute will do. We have holes and ILB and DL. You have to look at their performance in depth and determine if it is an individual performance issue or a scheme issue. If they feel like it is more of a personnel deficiency, then he legitimately should get a third year with those positions addressed. If the evidence does not point to insufficient talent, then yeah, he should go. I'm sure they'll be examining the issue in detail starting tomorrow and will make an informed decision soon enough.

BTW, before you fire one coach, you need to have some replacement candidates in mind. So who are you thinking of here?
My issue is that the run Def didn't improve for this game. They got worse...I feel it lays on Pettinte and staff..I could be wrong, but never seemed to be any change as game went on.

Maybe it is just as simple as Blake isn't good enough, maybe missing greene..

I haven't put to much thought into a replacement

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about how I feel about MP. On the one hand, I don't feel like all of our personnel is where it should be yet with a need to get Martinez a partner in crime still in order, and maybe one more DLman.

On the other hand, it was known that Pettine emphasized the pass defense over the run defense and had that bend don't break scheme. The defense did save the offender's bacon in many games this season, but ultimately the issues we had with the run defense came back to bite us in the end. There's going to need to be massive improvement on the run defense this next season for sure, and that's going to have to entail some philosophy changes.

While I'm not beating the fire Pettine drum yet, we can't just give him unfettered loyalty like we did with Dom Capers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MLF press conference.

Didn't hear question..but one answer.

Either not physical enough or not coached something right.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think pettine time is up. If it wasn’t for the smith bros I think this D might have ranked close to last. But I will say this. Kevin king started the year off rough but man the 2nd half of the season he stepped up. Pettine has to go tho.
I was thinking the same about King this morning. He has done pretty damn good as the year wore on. Before anyone posts stats from some alphabet stats site,I am only going off of the eye test on this:)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same about King this morning. He has done pretty damn good as the year wore on. Before anyone posts stats from some alphabet stats site,I am only going off of the eye test on this:)
To many people go off just by stats

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF press conference.

Didn't hear question..but one answer.

Either not physical enough or not coached something right.
San Fran took advantage of our most glaring weakness all night long. In the first half, how many times did they blitz at Linsley and Turner?. I think every time they blitzed. Wasn't a ton, but they were all pretty effective, one causing that fumble as Turner watched him go by.

and when they were on offense, those running lanes were so wide I don't remember seeing a team have such wide open running play after play after play. Goodson is physical enough to play linebacker, he's just not fast enough to keep on the field all the time. Martinez loses all worth if he has any blocker at all to contend with. get the point of attack blocked and there was nothing until the safety. We need another DT badly, but we knew that. Montravious Adams is a definite weakness, we all knew that. Lancaster would be fine as a rotation guy. I didn't notice lowry much, assume he had a poor game like the rest. Clark played well, But they got handled and we had nothin behind them to stop it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed like every time they ran wide or threw in the flat, there was nothing but one tackler with not much of a chance to make a play and after that...daylight.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give MP one more year to eliminate these defensive meltdowns.

IMO the biggest problem with this defense was the inexperience and uneven play of the secondary which almost forced MP to scheme back on our heals. It's going to be a different looking unit when someone like Darnell Savage develops the ability to play regular single high safety.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its not surprising, the talent was always apparent but the guy got hardly any playing time during his first two years. I think this unit gets markedly better as guys like Alexander King and Savage get more seasoning.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give MP one more year to eliminate these defensive meltdowns.
yeah...i'm leaning that way too but could be pulled the other direction pretty easy lol. the middle of the D needs drastic attention. they need at least one ILB if martinez is retained (2 if not). they need another DT. i think the secondary is pretty set. king played better the last 3rd of the season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about Special Teams too. They have been atrocious outside of Ervin joining the team

Outside of a few poor punts I thought the improvement on ST was pretty good. Before this season we could depend upon a block in the back or holding on almost every darn kick-off/punt. :tdown:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not surprising, the talent was always apparent but the guy got hardly any playing time during his first two years. I think this unit gets markedly better as guys like Alexander King and Savage get more seasoning.

Yes, King stayed relatively healthy this year. IMO the areas on D that need help are DL and ILB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm waffling on the Pettine thing. I like him, but last night was bad. Bad, bad. There were zero answers to anything. I think we "won" maybe 2 running plays and 2-3 passing plays out of 7-8?

I know we need some help at DT and ILB, but man that was bad. you can't score enough to win a game that matters with that type of defense.

i Used to excuse Capers for the same thing. and he WAS given some bad hands to coach big games, you can't deny that, but it never got any better after being embarrassed. Can Pettine? I don't know

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In this article it notes that he broke the 49ers playoff rushing record previously held by Colin Kaepernick with 181 yards. Who was that against, I wonder?

That was all I could think about the entire game, was how much it totally reminded me of that frightful game(s) against the 9'ers and KaperCrap. I think ultimately Capers inability to adjust against him, on 2 separate occasions, helped contribute to most fans wanting Capers gone.

Will that be the same thing that now gets the ball rolling on a "Fire Pettine" campaign?

I'm on the fence with Pettine. While he was given a lot of new very good toys with the Smith Brothers and Amos, Gute left him handicapped with his lack of moves at ILB and DL. So I blame Gute for some of the issues that this defense had over the season.

But yesterday, Pettine totally got out coached and this article is a good read on that.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/espn-dan-orlovsky-breakdown-kyle-shanahan-vs-mike-pettine/

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the biggest problem with this defense was the inexperience and uneven play of the secondary which almost forced MP to scheme back on our heals. It's going to be a different looking unit when someone like Darnell Savage develops the ability to play regular single high safety.

I think with experience our secondary will be better. Another CB to replace Tramon would help. But if you only have one stud in the middle of your defense you're gonna be vulnerable to physical teams like SF's running game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Or free agency. A couple guys short of a full deck on each side of the ball I'd say.

Yup and one of the many good things about this season was the restored faith in what can happen when you sign the right Free Agents. The Smith Brothers were a Home Run.

I know doing so is always a crap shoot and and a potentially expensive one at that. However, to try and fill immediate needs, I hope we see Gute back playing hard in the 2020 Free Agent Market once again.

Members online