Mike Pettine's Defence

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if their analysis assumes we played against Mahomes instead of Matt Moore.
Matt Moore played pretty well. They beat the Vikings with him and they're generally considered to have one of the best defenses in the league. They scored 26 against them and 24 against us.

For as much as everyone makes about Mahomes, they are stacked with offensive firepower, they have 3 guys that you just have to get the ball to them and they can kill you in 1 play Most offenses don't have 1 of those anymore.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wonder if their analysis assumes we played against Mahomes instead of Matt Moore.

You can be absolutely sure that Football Outsiders adjusted their numbers for the Packers facing the Chiefs with Moore starting.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked to read that we are only 20th in the NFL in sack percentage this year. That is with the Smith's doing what they're doing. Outside of those two we must just not be generating any pass rush whatsoever. Without looking I figured we would be near the top. Not good. And that's with a 3rd edge rusher who had 10+ sacks last season!

Something about this defense isn't right. They aren't nearly as productive as they should be. I don't know if it's the offenses we've faced, or if Pettine just isn't all he was cracked up to be, or if Ted Thompson just decimated the talent so much on defense that it will take years to recover. Maybe a combination of the 3.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was shocked to read that we are only 20th in the NFL in sack percentage this year. That is with the Smith's doing what they're doing. Outside of those two we must just not be generating any pass rush whatsoever. Without looking I figured we would be near the top. Not good. And that's with a 3rd edge rusher who had 10+ sacks last season!

Something about this defense isn't right. They aren't nearly as productive as they should be. I don't know if it's the offenses we've faced, or if Pettine just isn't all he was cracked up to be, or if Ted Thompson just decimated the talent so much on defense that it will take years to recover. Maybe a combination of the 3.
Injuries as well.. Klark has bad shin maybe is finally over that.. plus secondary has been banged up too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Fackrell pretty much lucked into having more than 10 sacks last season though.

FWIW according to Football Outsiders the Packers defense has faced one of the toughest schedules so far this season:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Figure, to this point, Pettine has played as straight up on D as I've ever seen. Virtually zero blitzing to this point... Maybe we see some of that this Sunday night.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figure, to this point, Pettine has played as straight up on D as I've ever seen. Virtually zero blitzing to this point... Maybe we see some of that this Sunday night.
There has been a different look to the defense in terms of how they're playing. The attacking part has been very much dialed back after those first couple weeks.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has been a different look to the defense in terms of how they're playing. The attacking part has been very much dialed back after those first couple weeks.
I'm glad it is just not me... I've felt it was definitely noticeable. Makes me think they've been saving as much scheme from tape as possible to this point, and maybe we see more moving forward from this point on. Kind of makes sense with how crucial our remaining games are through the remainder of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm glad it is just not me... I've felt it was definitely noticeable. Makes me think they've been saving as much scheme from tape as possible to this point, and maybe we see more moving forward from this point on. Kind of makes sense with how crucial our remaining games are through the remainder of the season.

I think that is just wishful thinking. If Pettine had more in the tank, we would have seen it against the Chargers and at the end of the Panther game, to name 2 games. That isn't to say he isn't always working to improve and try different things. But I highly doubt he has a secret playbook that he is just waiting to break out this Sunday or any Sunday.

Reaction score
I’ve got a secret Pettine can use.
Stop the Run and pressure Garapollo!
Send Martinez in on some blitzes it’s the only way he tackles someone behind the LOS this year! :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is just wishful thinking. If Pettine had more in the tank, we would have seen it against the Chargers and at the end of the Panther game, to name 2 games. That isn't to say he isn't always working to improve and try different things. But I highly doubt he has a secret playbook that he is just waiting to break out this Sunday or any Sunday.
I think the Dline pressure was much better in that Carolina game, especially near the end. but I think inury and getting some guys back and field conditions played more into that in that game. Prior to that I think there was a noticeable difference in how they attacked teams compared to weeks 1-3 or so. It was pretty much just line up and play.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Dline pressure was much better in that Carolina game, especially near the end. but I think inury and getting some guys back and field conditions played more into that in that game. Prior to that I think there was a noticeable difference in how they attacked teams compared to weeks 1-3 or so. It was pretty much just line up and play.

Each game, each half, each series, each play, on both sides of the ball, can be a chess match between coordinators. Some weeks your guys match up better than other weeks. Sometimes you have to contend with injuries, etc. I hope the 2 weeks between games gave Pettine plenty of time to bone up on his chess skills, because we are probably going to need the defenses best effort on Sunday night to get a W.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to go period. The guy has basically said he doesn’t care bout stopping the run. Well no ****.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Petine needs to be fired. While he's at it, the STC should go as well. No excuse for putting the worst set of TE's and WR's in the league with Rodgers. Its tiring to see how many times pass plays break down because nobody is open

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Petine needs to be fired. While he's at it, the STC should go as well. No excuse for putting the worst set of TE's and WR's in the league with Rodgers. Its tiring to see how many times pass plays break down because nobody is open
I agree about Special Teams too. They have been atrocious outside of Ervin joining the team

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he needs to go

I think a solid analysis is in order, which I'm sure MLF and Gute will do. We have holes at ILB and DL. You have to look at their performance in depth and determine if it is an individual performance issue or a scheme issue. If they feel like it is more of a personnel deficiency, then he legitimately should get a third year with those positions addressed. If the evidence does not point to insufficient talent, then yeah, he should go. I'm sure they'll be examining the issue in detail starting tomorrow and will make an informed decision soon enough.

BTW, before you fire one coach, you need to have some replacement candidates in mind. So who are you thinking of here?

Last edited:

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers defensive drafting over the years... 8 straight drafts were the top selection was a defensive pick. How have we not at least stumbled into a good unit one of these years? New DC, new players, same ****** result.

2019 - R1, R1
2018 - R1 & R2
2017 - R2, R2, R3, R4 (4 straight picks)
2016 - R1, (First 4/5 drafted for defense)
2015 - R1 & R2 - Neither with the team
2014 - R1 - No longer with the team
2013 - R1 - No longer with the team
2012 - R1, R2 (6 straight selections drafted on defense) - None currently with the team

8 --1st rounder selections
5 -- 2nd rounder selections