Mike Mayock on the Lions game

D

Deleted member 6794

Right...Starks between the tackles in man up zone blocking. And he wasn't the only guy getting 5-10 yards on those runs. Lacy had a couple as well. The pulling blocks that looked so good in preseason were pretty dreadful.

The Packers have to stop trying to run Lacy to the outside. He amassed a total of 3 yards on those five runs vs. the Lions.

H

HardRightEdge

Sorry, but that wasn´t a good throw by Rodgers, he threw it behind Nelson. Neither Levy nor Quin (the crossing safety) would have had any chance to make a play on the ball if Rodgers would have hit Nelson in stride.
Was it a perfect? No, it was not. Was it the right throw? Absolutely...nobody else was open and Nelson was against a LB. Was the throw a little behind? Sure. Was it catchable? Yes, on a good day. It was not a good day.

I guess I don't think it's fair to expect perfection in the QB when the line is getting persistently beaten and the receivers are dropping balls.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was it a perfect? No, it was not. Was it the right throw? Absolutely...nobody else was open and Nelson was against a LB. Was the throw a little behind? Sure. Was it catchable? Yes, on a good day. It was not a good day.

I guess I don't think it's fair to expect perfection in the QB when the line is getting persistently beaten and the receivers are dropping balls.

Well, Rodgers has made a throw like that more often than not. That's why I expect him to make it in a crucial situation like that. BTW he took the blame for that play after the game.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers have to stop trying to run Lacy to the outside. He amassed a total of 3 yards on those five runs vs. the Lions.
Yeah, we've accumulated a group of runners suited to the inside zone run game and we go away from it. It is all the more inexplicable after Tullock, their chief enforcer, went out.

I believe the Packer brain trust did not think they could run man-up against that front and stuck with the finesse-oriented pulling plays beyond their sell-by date.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, Rodgers has made a throw like that more often than not. That's why I expect him to make it in a crucial situation like that. BTW he took the blame for that play after the game.
I would expect him to take the blame for not being perfect.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That's where I do disagree with you HRE, I do think its fair to expect it. He get paid enough. A hell of a lot of those missed passes are because of under or over throwing.
I think its fair to blame the O line, but it is also fair to say Rodgers is not doing his job properly too. I`m not trying to start a row here, but I keep reading that its everybodies fault, but nobody will point the finger at Rodgers too for some reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, we've accumulated a group of runners suited to the inside zone run game and we go away from it. It is all the more inexplicable after Tullock, their chief enforcer, went out.

I believe the Packer brain trust did not think they could run man-up against that front and stuck with the finesse-oriented pulling plays beyond their sell-by date.

I really don't get it as running inside actually worked. If the offense wants to have some plays in which the runner bounces outside give the ball to Harris.

H

HardRightEdge

That's where I do disagree with you HRE, I do think its fair to expect it. He get paid enough. A hell of a lot of those missed passes are because of under or over throwing.
I think its fair to blame the O line, but it is also fair to say Rodgers is not doing his job properly too. I`m not trying to start a row here, but I keep reading that its everybodies fault, but nobody will point the finger at Rodgers too for some reason.
I just don't agree. I count 2 off-target passes in that game, and a whole lot of completions going to guys in tight coverage with no INTs in the bargain. I have a conservative count of 4 drops plus the incompletion when Adams failed to either get the call or make the right read, whichever. That gets you to 21 of 27.

Nelson makes a lot of money now and is the best slot receiver in football according to Pro Football Focus, and they might be right. By the criteria applied to Rodgers, Nelson should have gotten down sooner for that ball...it was coming from 30 yards away with time to adjust. You might as well blame him for peeking at what was coming from the other side and missed his adjustment window.

I blame neither Rodgers nor Nelson.

The logic here seems to be that paying guys a lot of money means they must overcome poor performances from other quarters, ineffective game plans and poor play calls. There is some validity to that, but there's a line where those kinds of problems are concerned can't be crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think we can agree O line has been sub standard blocking. You may recall what Favre used to do in that scenario. He was almost unstoppable at the 7 yard slant. He'd wear a D down and THEN open the running game.. Just opposite of the common concept. It's a game of momentum. We set the pace. Not let teams dictate our pace. Of course for many years we didn't have a running game so it was mandatory to get chunks passing

I

I just don't agree. I count 2 off-target passes in that game, and a whole lot of completions going to guys in tight coverage with no INTs in the bargain. I have a conservative count of 4 drops plus the incompletion when Adams failed to either get the call or make the right read, whichever. That gets you to 21 of 27.

Nelson makes a lot of money now and is the best slot receiver in football according to Pro Football Focus, and they might be right. By the criteria applied to Rodgers, Nelson should have gotten down sooner for that ball...it was coming from 30 yards away with time to adjust. You might as well blame him for peeking at what was coming from the other side and missed his adjustment window.

I blame neither Rodgers nor Nelson.

The logic here seems to be that paying guys a lot of money means they must overcome poor performances from other quarters, ineffective game plans and poor play calls. There is some validity to that, but there's a line where those kinds of problems can't be crossed.

And that was why I stressed I wasn`t looking for a row ;). We just see things differently. People keep saying the recievers don`t get open but they do, and to be fair Rodgers for some reason keeps hold of the ball too long and looks for the long pass lately.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Instances of a clean, uncollapsed pocket were rare indeed.
Do you mean that generally or just regarding the Packers? ;) or :(

I don't think perfection should be expected by any human being, no matter their compensation but IMO it's obvious Rodgers hasn't lived up to his own standards for most of this young season. Also, on the fourth down incompletion to Nelson in the EZ, I looked for a replay of it and couldn't find it but at the time I did not think that was a catchable ball. But that’s just one play. Even if they made it, with about 7 minutes left they would have had to stop the Lions and score another TD.

D

Deleted member 6794

People keep saying the recievers don`t get open but they do, and to be fair Rodgers for some reason keeps hold of the ball too long and looks for the long pass lately.

I think it's a misconception a lot of people have about Rodgers. He doesn't go for the long ball very often, actually after three games 69 of 102 of his passes have gone for less than 10 yards and only nine of his attempts for more than 20 (which is tied for 20th in the league).

I

I think it's a misconception a lot of people have about Rodgers. He doesn't go for the long ball very often, actually after three games 69 of 102 of his passes have gone for less than 10 yards and only nine of his attempts for more than 20 (which is tied for 20th in the league).

That is a fair enough point mate :tup:, I just feel it looks like he`s holding the ball longer than usual.

I

He released the ball faster last season (2.43 seconds) compared to this year (2.59) but is on par with 2011 and '12 (2.63 and 2.64 respectively).

Wait a minute....Am I actually watching the Green Bay Packers ??? They wear Black and Silver right ?? :D

H

HardRightEdge

Do you mean that generally or just regarding the Packers? ;) or :(

I don't think perfection should be expected by any human being, no matter their compensation but IMO it's obvious Rodgers hasn't lived up to his own standards for most of this young season. Also, on the fourth down incompletion to Nelson in the EZ, I looked for a replay of it and couldn't find it but at the time I did not think that was a catchable ball. But that’s just one play. Even if they made it, with about 7 minutes left they would have had to stop the Lions and score another TD.
I have a subscription to ESPN's Game Rewind. It costs $40 + a $20 option for coaches tape.

It would have been a great catch...but it was catchable.

The point of highlighting the play is that it could have closed the gap to one score with sufficient time on the clock and it could have been a momentum changer instead of a deflator. In particular, though, it was one of the few passes thrown on the day that could be argued to be somewhat inaccurate.

The point being, there seems to be a critique of Rodgers missing open receivers based on one play with a TE third in the progression with a literally collapsing pocket with Lang flat on his **** and a critique of Rodgers being inaccurate based on that one critical play.

I happen to have observed, on balance, an accurate QB at work trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but that wasn´t a good throw by Rodgers, he threw it behind Nelson. Neither Levy nor Quin (the crossing safety) would have had any chance to make a play on the ball if Rodgers would have hit Nelson in stride.
Agreed. Rodgers was NOT sharp and hasn't really been this year. I think about that pass to Nelson over Greenway's head last year and wonder where that guy went.

19 of the 27 passes Rodgers threw were for less than 10 yards, so it´s not that they tried to throw the deep ball on every single pass play.
It's not the throws that they tried really it's the drop backs where he held on too long rather than take the short opening or just get rid of it.

H

HardRightEdge

Right. We've been playing teams that drop 7 in cover 2 and 3 while getting pressure with 4.

Against Detroit, I can only recall one attempted "bomb"...to Cobb in the first possession I believe it was...and it was one of those balls, accurately thrown, where it was hard to tell if was dropped or defended and one I did not include in my count of 4 drops.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right...Starks between the tackles in man up zone blocking. And he wasn't the only guy getting 5-10 yards on those runs. Lacy had a couple as well. The pulling blocks that looked so good in preseason were pretty dreadful.

Not entirely surprising. The Lions are the kind of team that inside zones work well against and pulling plays don't.

The Lions penetrate. That's part of their scheme. If they're flying off the ball, "playing the run on the way to the quarterback," they're going to disrupt the pulling moves. If you run zone, they should take themselves out of the play more often.

Regarding Lacy going outside: Was that the play call or Lacy bouncing it? Calling a "toss" with the intention of getting the defense to move wide and then cut back inside isn't a bad idea.

H

HardRightEdge

Not entirely surprising. The Lions are the kind of team that inside zones work well against and pulling plays don't.

The Lions penetrate. That's part of their scheme. If they're flying off the ball, "playing the run on the way to the quarterback," they're going to disrupt the pulling moves. If you run zone, they should take themselves out of the play more often.

Regarding Lacy going outside: Was that the play call or Lacy bouncing it? Calling a "toss" with the intention of getting the defense to move wide and then cut back inside isn't a bad idea.
Well stated.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
19 of the 27 passes Rodgers threw were for less than 10 yards, so it´s not that they tried to throw the deep ball on every single pass play.

No. it's that they followed it up a lot with a play that should be buried in the play book (at least against good front sevens) that put them in 3 and 9-10 instead of a 3rd and manageable because McCarthy had to prove he could run wide and power trap from the shotgun.

They would of been better off just passing every down.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My prediction is McCarthy is going to run the same stupid plays this week and they will work against the Bears this week cause the Bears suck so bad up front. Then McCarthy will come out and say "I saw a lot of improvement out there today", "We improved as a football team today". " Are running game improved today", "I like how are guys are wired" Blah Blah Blah. It's a bunch of crap.

And I am conservatively commenting on McCarthy's conservative play book, which of course is conservatively speaking. Geez, talk about predictability. My girlfriend knows what plays are coming Mike and she just started watching football two years ago.

I don't know why he covers his face with his little play sheet? Everybody knows whats coming when they line up.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts