Mike Martz: Jay Cutler will be “very elite”

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'd all have to be a little naive to suggest that Cutler has no talent. Sure our defense has given him fits for two years, but our defense this year even made life ******* Brady. We've all seen glimpses of Cutler making some really good plays, he just is not consistent, but it'd be hard to say he could never get there. Fact is we have the best QB in the league so it's easy to judge. Cutler really has no one to throw to and a terrible O-line. This isn't the easiest thing for me to say, because I really hate Cutler as much as anyone, he has a terrible attitude. But the talent is there.

OP
OP
Guacamole

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'd all have to be a little naive to suggest that Cutler has no talent. Sure our defense has given him fits for two years, but our defense this year even made life ******* Brady. We've all seen glimpses of Cutler making some really good plays, he just is not consistent, but it'd be hard to say he could never get there. Fact is we have the best QB in the league so it's easy to judge. Cutler really has no one to throw to and a terrible O-line. This isn't the easiest thing for me to say, because I really hate Cutler as much as anyone, he has a terrible attitude. But the talent is there.
But Martz says he will be "very elite" now try to defend that comment

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Da Bears will have to shore up their offensive line for Cutler to perform at that kind of level. Martz is just trying to re-bolster his shaken QBs confidence level after the Packer D ran him into the Soldier Field turf.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
How can you defend against a comment that is speculative. I can say Rodgers will be double elite times infinity. So there.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Martz says he will be "very elite" now try to defend that comment

I'm not saying he's right, I'm just saying it'd be Naive to say there's now way Cutler will ever be good at all. The fact is he does have a lot of talent. It wouldn't make much sense for Martz to say "well Cutler will never be really good, I mean he might be decent, but he's never gonna get us a championship". What kind of confidence would that instill in Cutler, the team, and the fans? He's gotta at least pretend that Cutler is the answer for them, otherwise what do the Bears have to look forward to?

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jay cutler would need actual wide receivers to be good...

Living near the Chicago area I've heard all the Bears bravado talk to no end so this doesn't surprise me.

Now take into account the talent he had when he was with the Rams for a moment. Martz actually made the comment during the season that this Bears team was the most skilled group he had ever coached.

So obviously, Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner were chopped liver compared to Hester, Knox, Forte and Cutler.

Oooooookay.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living near the Chicago area I've heard all the Bears bravado talk to no end so this doesn't surprise me.

Now take into account the talent he had when he was with the Rams for a moment. Martz actually made the comment during the season that this Bears team was the most skilled group he had ever coached.

So obviously, Tory Holt, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner were chopped liver compared to Hester, Knox, Forte and Cutler.

Oooooookay.

A team that won a SB>A team that hasn't

Until Culter and co win a champioanship they have nothing on the 1999-2001 Rams.

We have such entertaining rivals:chisux:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think Mike Martz is a good guy.

Without him, the Bears offense would have been just like 2009. You seen this in their losses, where they can't do anything but move the ball on the ground.

I don't believe he will be a "very elite" quarterback but he did show some improvements over the year, then again I doubt Cutler can win games without a running game. Most the time they got hammered the last few years, they could not run the ball at all, so he panics and forces the ball around cause he's so scared he's going to get hit. The Bears were averaging just a 144 passing yards in the playoffs. That was the worst ranked passing offense going into the Championship game.

Mike Martz don't have a Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk this time. Most the time I see Bears fans putting the blame on Martz 60% of the time when Cutler screws up. They should be thanking him cause they easily could have a terrible offense without him.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
yeah faulk and forte i say are good but isaac bruce and torry holt are ten times better than devin hester and johnny knox

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
yeah faulk and forte i say are good but isaac bruce and torry holt are ten times better than devin hester and johnny knox

Exactly, and most the time he throws to Knox, he gets intercepted. I've heard the "he barely fumbles" but he gets beat 9 out of 10 times he throws to him. 4 Interceptions vs Washington and I bet every one of them was to that man. As for Devin Hester, he's a special teams player. That's where he belongs, not on the offense. You can't turn a kick returner into a wide recevier. Take away Josh Cribbs kick off and punt returns, and he has terrible stats as a WR.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps we are all missing something here. Martz didn't say that Cutler would be "very elite" with the Bears, just that Cutler would be "very elite".:idea::rotfl:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it was a misquote? Maybe he said "vary" elite - meaning he would vary from being near elite to far from elite on a play to play basis.

Bears have to sell tickets. The bears can't sell tickets if Martz is saying anything other than this positive crap whether he believes it or not. I have never been a Martz fan. I think he is very egotistical and makes the crazy calls to go against what should be done for the reason of being different. His day in the sun in STL was, as Bogart says previously, was based on having 4 HOF (or borderline) level players in Holt, Bruce, Faulk and Warner. And the key to that 4 was Faulk, who IMHO could have been a HOF WR if he went that direction. He could always play to any defense he saw. Stay in and run, or spread out at WR if a favorable matchup occurred.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I heard Martz say "very effete" in the sound bite. I could be wrong...

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martz has to be confident it's his job,cutler will never be elite think of Joey Harrington,he had moments where he looked good,but in the end he went from team to team as back up,bears paid to much for an average q.b they should have kept Orton the bears will wind up like the lions who are progressing sad to say bears are not going to be the great team they once were,for along time they have guys who are on their way out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm scrapping my old theory of the "Vary/Very" conundrum. My new theory? Tequila. I propose that the reason for Martz estimation of the success expectations of Jay Cutler, is he is drunk.

As an exhibit, I am providing the details of an experiment conducted at John Hopkins last year. The title of the experiment was "How appearances change with the presence of tequila" Here are the results:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think the results speak for themselves.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elite I see is Bears top 5 defense to keep them in games against Pack. Cutler lol, Broncos got better end of the deal for him except they drafted kinda poorly....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts