Middle of the D

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the draft were to play out as this outlined for us.....I WOULD TAKE IT

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000487820/article/2015-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

Synopsis of GB:

Round 1 (30): Jalen Collins, CB, LSU
Round 2 (62): Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
Round 3 (94): Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State
Round 4 (129): Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama
Round 5 (166: Laurence Gibson, OT, Virginia Tech
Round 6 (206): Jeremiah Poutasi, G, Utah
Round 6 (210): Damian Swann, CB, Georgia
Round 6 (213): Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan
Round 7 (247): B.J. Dubose, DT, Louisville

Sky King

Reaction score
Barclay earned his spurs as a back-up and as an occasional starter. He's been solid. I'm not as comfortable with Tretter as some of you seem to be, except maybe at back-up center. He seems to get pushed around a little too easily. Inexperience? Perhaps. But he looks a little light in the saddle and not really as strong as he needs to be in order to play effectively at T or G. Better he be replaced by a better G/T that could be pressed into service at C in an emergency rather than the other way around. The rest of the reserves look quite vulnerable for replacement, too.

The OL may not be the very thinnest, neediest position group on the team but if the BAP early is a T/G type, so be it. Better that than a reach somewhere else. TT is so unpredictable that I pretty much anticipate being surprised by whomever he picks early.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclay earned his spurs as a back-up and as an occasional starter. He's been solid. I'm not as comfortable with Tretter as some of you seem to be, except maybe at back-up center. He seems to get pushed around a little too easily. Inexperience? Perhaps. But he looks a little light in the saddle and not really as strong as he needs to be in order to play effectively at T or G. Better he be replaced by a better G/T that could be pressed into service at C in an emergency rather than the other way around. The rest of the reserves look quite vulnerable for replacement, too.

The OL may not be the very thinnest, neediest position group on the team but if the BAP early is a T/G type, so be it. Better that than a reach somewhere else. TT is so unpredictable that I pretty much anticipate being surprised by whomever he picks early.

I agree that Tretter hasn't shown enough so far to feel comfortable about him playing tackle or guard. With him having only played 58 snaps in two seasons so far I have to trust the coaching staff on his talent level.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Barclay was just begining to earn his stripes when he blew the ACL. The fact he was given the RFA tender tells me it healed good. But Im still not happy with our depth on the O-line. We have been building the line for a while now. LT seemed to be the elusive position we couldnt fill. Bahktiari was a god send in the 4th round. That doesnt mean we stop working on building the O-line...

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclay was just begining to earn his stripes when he blew the ACL. The fact he was given the RFA tender tells me it healed good. But Im still not happy with our depth on the O-line. We have been building the line for a while now. LT seemed to be the elusive position we couldnt fill. Bahktiari was a god send in the 4th round. That doesnt mean we stop working on building the O-line...

Barclay started 18 games at RT in 2012 and '13 and while not being great by any means he was at least serviceable.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay started 18 games at RT in 2012 and '13 and while not being great by any means he was at least serviceable.
Agreed. Im just not comfortable gambling Rodgers safety with a servicable tackle all season. Should Bulaga or Bahk go down early... I would feel better with another starter quality OT, along with Barclay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Im just not comfortable gambling Rodgers safety with a servicable tackle all season. Should Bulaga or Bahk go down early... I would feel better with another starter quality OT, along with Barclay.

I would as well, but in this era with the salary cap and roster limits in place it's unrealistic to expect having four starting tackles on the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky King

Reaction score
Just like your favorite platter at your favorite restaurant, you may like it all but probably not equally across the board. IMHO, the OL players rank as follows: 1) Sitton, 2) Lang, 2b) Bulaga, 4) Linsley, 5) Bahktiari. That does not mean that any of them need replacing right now, just that somebody must be rated first and somebody last.

That said, I'm pleased with the current starters. It's the depth that I wonder about once you get past Barclay. I'm just not convinced the current backups are capable of being developed into replacement starters for either the short or long terms, and even Barclay is an unknown at LT.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm just not convinced the current backups are capable of being developed into replacement starters for either the short or long terms, and even Barclay is an unknown at LT.

I would expect Bulaga to be the primary backup at LT with Barclay taking over on the right side for him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully...this is exactly what I suspect is going to happen....especially if a lot of the top tier WR's drop and some Offense needy teams get itchy (or if a guy like Gordon is there)...some good return in trade could be had.
I agree. It seems like a lot of "experts" say there isn't a ton of first round caliber talent in this draft, and the ones that are there are WRs which we don't need. Trading back to get more picks will give us a better chance of finding some winners.

H

HardRightEdge

Just like your favorite platter at your favorite restaurant, you may like it all but probably not equally across the board. IMHO, the OL players rank as follows: 1) Sitton, 2) Lang, 2b) Bulaga, 4) Linsley, 5) Bahktiari. That does not mean that any of them need replacing right now, just that somebody must be rated first and somebody last.

That said, I'm pleased with the current starters. It's the depth that I wonder about once you get past Barclay. I'm just not convinced the current backups are capable of being developed into replacement starters for either the short or long terms, and even Barclay is an unknown at LT.
Barclay would not play LT. Bulaga would switch to the left side with Barclay at RT. Bulaga was going to be the starter at LT in 2013 until the ACL derailed the plan.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. It seems like a lot of "experts" say there isn't a ton of first round caliber talent in this draft, and the ones that are there are WRs which we don't need. Trading back to get more picks will give us a better chance of finding some winners.
Oh, there's plenty of first round talent in this draft, it's just not particularly strong in the top 20, chiefly because it's a bad QB, OT and TE class, none of which are particularly on the Packer needs list. The 20 - 50 range should yield a lot of good players. And if you can be confident that a THC, discipline and/or injury issue is minor or ephemeral, you can get an impact player at #30.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOLD ON!!!!!!! What is this Barclay is going to take over for Bulaga, and Bahktiari is REPLACABLE!?!?!?!? This is absolute crazy talk.

Bahktiari is the long term answer at LT. He's a stud. Bulaga was never very good at LT but is great at RT last I checked. If we start shuffeling guys around now to bring Barclay in a RT? Getting rid of Bahk??? Who is not 5th best O-lineman by the way.... He wouldnt be playing LT if that was the case here fella's

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOLD ON!!!!!!! What is this Barclay is going to take over for Bulaga, and Bahktiari is REPLACABLE!?!?!?!? This is absolute crazy talk.

Bahktiari is the long term answer at LT. He's a stud. Bulaga was never very good at LT but is great at RT last I checked. If we start shuffeling guys around now to bring Barclay in a RT? Getting rid of Bahk??? Who is not 5th best O-lineman by the way.... He wouldnt be playing LT if that was the case here fella's

It's a discussion about what may happen if Bahktiari was injured.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Breathe bud....breathe....he was merely running through a situation where Bahk gets hurt. :)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...I came in expecting a discussion on the middle of the defense and we're talking oline....without reading the thread, is the basic premise that our dline is not great so our olinemen should play both ways?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard that as well and think the kid is just to athletically gifted to fall that far in the 2nd. If a team is pretty decent against the run but needs help in coverage this guy is a no brainer. I think he could end up being a stud and while I like Kendricks the best I feel this kid isn't far behind because of the athletic gifts I mentioned earlier. He has a ton of upside and freaks like him don't fall that far more times than not. If he did and was available in the 2nd I would have to think Ted would jump all over him even if the 1st round pick were already a ILB. Kid has a chance to be a good one IMO.

A cover LB who can get sideline to sideline is what we have been missing for years. When we had Nick Collins we could get by without one because of his ability to play single high safety like Ed Reed. But since we lack a safety with that kind of ability we need an LB who can cover the middle of the field and complement SamBar's physical style of play.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A cover LB who can get sideline to sideline is what we have been missing for years. When we had Nick Collins we could get by without one because of his ability to play single high safety like Ed Reed. But since we lack a safety with that kind of ability we need an LB who can cover the middle of the field and complement SamBar's physical style of play.
Without question that is what I want and think would best suit our teams needs but unfortunately you and I aren't making the picks...Booooo! Hahaha. I think you hit it on the head in that having a chase type guy to compliment SamBar (love the name) would do wonders for the D. I am really hoping for a Kendricks or Anthony selection but earlier I was just playing devils advocate and trying to get in Ted's head which is like trying to get missile codes out of the Pentagon. Damn, can we kick this draft off already?!?!?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the draft were to play out as this outlined for us.....I WOULD TAKE IT

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000487820/article/2015-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

Synopsis of GB:

Round 1 (30): Jalen Collins, CB, LSU
Round 2 (62): Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
Round 3 (94): Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State
Round 4 (129): Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama
Round 5 (166: Laurence Gibson, OT, Virginia Tech
Round 6 (206): Jeremiah Poutasi, G, Utah
Round 6 (210): Damian Swann, CB, Georgia
Round 6 (213): Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan
Round 7 (247): B.J. Dubose, DT, Louisville

I love Jake Ryan in round 6. If we're going O-Line in Round 5 or 6 I'd try to get the D3 kid that dominated the Senior Bowl (I think it was the Senior Bowl). Stephone Anthony in round 2 won't happen. He's 1st or early 2nd talent. Ted has to take him at 30 or trade up to get him in Round 2. As for round 1, no WAY do I take Jalen Collins! I'm told by LSU fans he's good if he's drug-free. Too big of a risk. Round 1 I'd like to get Anthony or maybe if Ted is considering trading up to early-mid 2 maybe get Sammie Coates at 30 then get Anthony somewhere between 33 and 45, he won't drop past mid 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clinton-Dix played a lot of single high safety last year and did a decent job as a rookie.

If we're going O-Line in Round 5 or 6 I'd try to get the D3 kid that dominated the Senior Bowl (I think it was the Senior Bowl). Round 1 I'd like to get Anthony or maybe if Ted is considering trading up to early-mid 2 maybe get Sammie Coates at 30 then get Anthony somewhere between 33 and 45, he won't drop past mid 2.

There´s no way Ali Marpet will last until the fifth round. No reason to draft a WR with the first round pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix played a lot of single high safety last year and did a decent job as a rookie.

I like what Ha Ha did last year. he showed growth throughout the season and played well. I think he's going to be back there for a long time, but I don't see Nick Collins back there. Maybe he'll get close, but Collins was a special player that was just starting to get the game down and his natural ability coupled with the knowledge he gained had him poised to be one of the best. Extremely athletic and strong. He could cover so much ground and be back in passing lane and help in the run game without having to play the run. He was that fast and could just crush people.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts