Middle of the D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that Thompson does often draft ahead for that one year out situation. I'll be surprised if there are not 2 d-linemen drafted this week. I don't see a scenario that Raji is with the team in 2016.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Thompson does often draft ahead for that one year out situation. I'll be surprised if there are not 2 d-linemen drafted this week. I don't see a scenario that Raji is with the team in 2016.
I agree, I can see 2 DL and perhaps one with the 30th pick although I'm predicting corner at 30.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, as with every year, we don't have all of the relevant information that TT does. Maybe Pennell is looking like the next Haynesworth, Bradford is a blue chip ILB now and Goodson really does pick off Rodgers all the time. We can't assume that the "needs" are exactly what we think they are.

Reaction score
I agree, I can see 2 DL and perhaps one with the 30th pick although I'm predicting corner at 30.
Although the sound of picking a DL at #30 is very intriguing, my gut tells me that LB supersedes that unless we get an absolute steal (e.g. L.Williams slides to #30 or D.Shelton slides into late round 2)
We parted ways with several ILBs and contingency depth at ILB is paramount regardless of Barringtons recent step onto the lighted stage. We needed help at ILB all year, BEFORE parting ways with Jones and Hawk.. Now it's detrimental we have competition here to choose from.
Ideally we have a solid opportunity locked @ LB, CB by close of business Friday. I'm still lobbying for a DT/OL/ help soon after that.. We can't afford to gamble on consecutive years of Offensive Line luck come regular season. We were forced to seek C last year.. Now we need to reinforce out protection for AR as an umbrella policy, particularly OL edge reinforcement. We all know all-too-well how our QBs health impacts our chances this year... Imperative to focus on our D and AR protection. I don't ever wanna see Bulagas replacement getting manhandled again. I love many other position options also.. I love AR more!
Let's redeem ourselves!! GPG!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

So, as with every year, we don't have all of the relevant information that TT does. Maybe Pennell is looking like the next Haynesworth, Bradford is a blue chip ILB now and Goodson really does pick off Rodgers all the time. We can't assume that the "needs" are exactly what we think they are.

While you´re right about that we don´t have any relevant information about what Thompson will be doing during the draft the team´s needs are pretty obvious to me.

We can't afford to gamble on consecutive years of Offensive Line luck come regular season. We were forced to seek C last year.. Now we need to reinforce out protection for AR as an umbrella policy, particularly OL edge reinforcement. We all know all-too-well how our QBs health impacts our chances this year. I don't ever wanna see Bulagas replacement getting manhandled again.

The Packers return all starters on the offensive line while having two reliable backups in Barclay and Tretter. I wouldn´t mind drafting another tackle on day 3 for additional depth but I´m not worried about the position at all.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think how early we draft a corner will be an indicator of the level of confidence Green Bay has in Dimitri Goodson, and also Casey Hayward. I'm hoping for an inside backer with the top pick, but lately the name Jalen Collins has popped up in the thirty spot on a lot of mocks. He's talented but keeps failing drug tests, so I'm not too excited about this prospect.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a CB picked in the first just because I think the value of player might be higher than any DL or ILB left at #30. I think there are a lot of similar LB's that can be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round even.

Reaction score
While you´re right about that we don´t have any relevant information about what Thompson will be doing during the draft the team´s needs are pretty obvious to me.

The Packers return all starters on the offensive line while having two reliable backups in Barclay and Tretter. I wouldn´t mind drafting another tackle on day 3 for additional depth but I´m not worried about the position at all.
That thinking is exactly why we get into O line trouble and end up with mid season experiments that cost us dearly 3 of 4 years.
"The bigger they are the harder they fall"

D

Deleted member 6794

That thinking is exactly why we get into O line trouble and end up with mid season experiments that cost us dearly 3 of 4 years.

The team has way more pressing needs on defense. I would be fine with addressing the depth on the offensive line with a day 3 pick but there´s no reason to spend an early pick on the position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a CB picked in the first just because I think the value of player might be higher than any DL or ILB left at #30. I think there are a lot of similar LB's that can be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round even.

I've heard this. Some mock drafts have Stephone Anthony going to the Pack in the first round at #30, some have him going to the Pack in the second round at #62. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus with regard to inside linebackers in this year's crop.

I wonder what Ted thinks.....

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amen. The line is right up there with just about any other in the league and Barclay's return is the key for me. This is a jack-of-all-trades guy that can step in and help at multiple positions. He is like the full size (non-donut) spare tire you sprung for but hope you never have to use. Tretter will have another off-season to work on his craft so he should be a pretty reliable option if he were forced into action after the initial trial by fire time passes of course. Corey is going to be a Pro Bowl caliber center for years to come and may go down as one of TT's best picks not named AR. The guards are all world in my mind and they are also tough as hell. I am expecting a big year out of Bak aka Drogo (G.o.T.'s) this year as 2015 will be his 3rd year and he should be full of confidence and ready to crush some fools. 75 is 75 and that's not a bad thing. The contract thing is over with and he should play at a high level this year. He strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't going to take it easy now that he's paid rather work even harder to prove to everyone he is indeed worth the chili. I am sure (and fully expect) Ted will take a guy or 2 in the middle to late rounds and there's nothing wrong with that. I sure don't expect him to reach for one early and feel it would be a wasted pick if he were to do so. You can't play scared and over compensate in a certain area because an "injury is due." Yes, you want depth at a position as important as the OL but with defensive needs being what they are I am sure hoping Ted maximizes his picks and gets the best defensive value out of the higher picks unless a stud just happens to fall and make it a no-brainer type deal. Either way the draft is just about here...FINALLY! I can't wait to build myself up and get super pumped only to sit and wait on the Packers pick for 3 hours or so. Hahaha. Let's do the damn thing Ted and solidify this already stout roster and prepare for another Lombardi run! G P G!

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard this. Some mock drafts have Stephone Anthony going to the Pack in the first round at #30, some have him going to the Pack in the second round at #62. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus with regard to inside linebackers in this year's crop.

I wonder what Ted thinks.....
I have heard that as well and think the kid is just to athletically gifted to fall that far in the 2nd. If a team is pretty decent against the run but needs help in coverage this guy is a no brainer. I think he could end up being a stud and while I like Kendricks the best I feel this kid isn't far behind because of the athletic gifts I mentioned earlier. He has a ton of upside and freaks like him don't fall that far more times than not. If he did and was available in the 2nd I would have to think Ted would jump all over him even if the 1st round pick were already a ILB. Kid has a chance to be a good one IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have heard that as well and think the kid is just to athletically gifted to fall that far in the 2nd. If a team is pretty decent against the run but needs help in coverage this guy is a no brainer. I think he could end up being a stud and while I like Kendricks the best I feel this kid isn't far behind because of the athletic gifts I mentioned earlier. He has a ton of upside and freaks like him don't fall that far more times than not. If he did and was available in the 2nd I would have to think Ted would jump all over him even if the 1st round pick were already a ILB. Kid has a chance to be a good one IMO.

If we don't get Kendricks with our first round pick I would really like to select Anthony in the second. Hopefully he would still be on the board in that scenario.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fun if Thompson trades out of the first round at that point??? ;)

Truthfully...this is exactly what I suspect is going to happen....especially if a lot of the top tier WR's drop and some Offense needy teams get itchy (or if a guy like Gordon is there)...some good return in trade could be had.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't get Kendricks with our first round pick I would really like to select Anthony in the second. Hopefully he would still be on the board in that scenario.
I couldn't agree more even if I tried. If by some chance we still need a ILB come Rd 2 and this kid is there Driver should run a GO route to the podium and make the pick before Ted even gives the word!!!

Reaction score
Amen. The line is right up there with just about any other in the league and Barclay's return is the key for me. This is a jack-of-all-trades guy that can step in and help at multiple positions. He is like the full size (non-donut) spare tire you sprung for but hope you never have to use. Tretter will have another off-season to work on his craft so he should be a pretty reliable option if he were forced into action after the initial trial by fire time passes of course. Corey is going to be a Pro Bowl caliber center for years to come and may go down as one of TT's best picks not named AR. The guards are all world in my mind and they are also tough as hell. I am expecting a big year out of Bak aka Drogo (G.o.T.'s) this year as 2015 will be his 3rd year and he should be full of confidence and ready to crush some fools. 75 is 75 and that's not a bad thing. The contract thing is over with and he should play at a high level this year. He strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't going to take it easy now that he's paid rather work even harder to prove to everyone he is indeed worth the chili. I am sure (and fully expect) Ted will take a guy or 2 in the middle to late rounds and there's nothing wrong with that. I sure don't expect him to reach for one early and feel it would be a wasted pick if he were to do so. You can't play scared and over compensate in a certain area because an "injury is due." Yes, you want depth at a position as important as the OL but with defensive needs being what they are I am sure hoping Ted maximizes his picks and gets the best defensive value out of the higher picks unless a stud just happens to fall and make it a no-brainer type deal. Either way the draft is just about here...FINALLY! I can't wait to build myself up and get super pumped only to sit and wait on the Packers pick for 3 hours or so. Hahaha. Let's do the damn thing Ted and solidify this already stout roster and prepare for another Lombardi run! G P G!
Ok. We can agree we have some good players returning on OL. But my contention is that every year we get complacent on OL and last year we were 1-2 injuries from a serious dilemma, very thin and we all talked about it.
The time to build is when the foundation is good, not waiting for a breech in the structure to mend the levy. I'm not proposing a pick day 1. But if we had a compensatory pick at round 3 like last year.. I'd be considering padding our $20 million a year capital investment. Our team centers around AR (no pun!). I know one thing is for certain.. We protect AR.. we will go far. Last year was an anomaly in that we didn't succumb to many injuries regular season. We walked a tight rope. Not to mention, future players we will lose. I can see real close like 20/20,, but i still failed my eye exam without glasses for long range

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. We can agree we have some good players returning on OL. But my contention is that every year we get complacent on OL and last year we were 1-2 injuries from a serious dilemma, very thin and we all talked about it.
The time to build is when the foundation is good, not waiting for a breech in the structure to mend the levy. I'm not proposing a pick day 1. But if we had a compensatory pick at round 3 like last year.. I'd be considering padding our $20 million a year capital investment. Our team centers around AR (no pun!). I know one thing is for certain.. We protect AR.. we will go far. Last year was an anomaly in that we didn't succumb to many injuries regular season. We walked a tight rope. Not to mention, future players we will lose. I can see real close like 20/20,, but i still failed my eye exam without glasses for long range

The dillemma TT and other teams face is there is a balance that must be struck at the OL, one simply cannot afford to have a ready to go back up at all 3 positions. Instead often times teams will have a decent/above average backup Tackle and than a utility type guy that can do LG-C-RG if needed. I think TT does a solid job of always ensuring the staff may find a gem in the mid-late-undrafted guys he brings in every year and I foresee this being no different. TT plays it smart and unless it is a bonafide sure thing starter he always waits till mid to late to draft OL and then he usually drafts athletic Tackles which can develop into a different position if needed (Linsley was the exception to this usual rule).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a dilemma on every team every year. No team can be strength across the board. They might have superstars, but then they lack depth. if you're strong in DB's, there's a good chance there's a weakness somewhere else. Either thru quality of player or depth issues. You can't keep everyone and you can't pay everyone and they only make so many superstars every year so you can't have them all either. and just when you think you have it all figured out, you lose a QB, a starting linebacker and his 3 backups and it all goes to **** anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers will most likely keep eight offensive linemen on the roster once again with seven of the spots most likely being claimed by the starters and Barclay and Tretter as backups. Most teams in the league will have an issue on the line when losing two starters to injuries for an extended period.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the majority of what you wrote. As I noted I would have no problem grabbing a guy in the mid rounds especially if the value were good. You can never have enough quality depth on the OL and Ted has hit on some guys the last few years so hears hoping he can pull a rabbit out again this year. I would like to see another Barclay type guy that could fill in at multiple positions. I like having studs as much as anyone but I also like the "jack of all trades, master of none" guys that step up and fill a need in a pinch. I think it can be argued that most teams in the league couldn't absorb losing 2 guys in a single season on the OL and maintain a high-level of play. The salary cap makes it difficult to keep quality guys because if they are that good chances are some other team is going to go after them when they hit the market. If you can play, you will be found and paid accordingly.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will most likely keep eight offensive linemen on the roster once again with seven of the spots most likely being claimed by the starters and Barclay and Tretter as backups. Most teams in the league will have an issue on the line when losing two starters to injuries for an extended period.
I have noticed we're on the same page a lot and I am fine with that. Brilliant minds think...I will stop now. :cool:

Members online

Latest posts