Michael Turner

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone can talk all they want about "Matty Ice", but I think the key to winning this game is stopping Michael Turner. Look at the results of each game in which Turner was held for 65 yards or less;

@ Pittsburgh, 42 yards, Lost 15-9
San Francisco, 50 yards, Won 16-14.(The should have lost this game, a SF defender picked off a Ryan pass to seal the deal but instead of sliding he ran around where he fumbled and gave Ryan a 2nd chance)
@ Philly, 45 yards, Lost 31-17
Baltimore, 39 yards, Won 26-21
New Orleans, 48 yards, Lost 17-14

So they were 2-3 in games where Turner was held to 65 yards or less. Really 1-4 if the SF defender slides.

Anyway, I think if we can stop Turner we win this game(and we don't turn the ball over). Much of the Atlanta offense bases off running the ball, controlling the clock and play action. If we can get our run defenses from last year back, just for one game, I think we will win.

Thoughts?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Everyone can talk all they want about "Matty Ice", but I think the key to winning this game is stopping Michael Turner. Look at the results of each game in which Turner was held for 65 yards or less;

@ Pittsburgh, 42 yards, Lost 15-9
San Francisco, 50 yards, Won 16-14.(The should have lost this game, a SF defender picked off a Ryan pass to seal the deal but instead of sliding he ran around where he fumbled and gave Ryan a 2nd chance)
@ Philly, 45 yards, Lost 31-17
Baltimore, 39 yards, Won 26-21
New Orleans, 48 yards, Lost 17-14

So they were 2-3 in games where Turner was held to 65 yards or less. Really 1-4 if the SF defender slides.

Anyway, I think if we can stop Turner we win this game(and we don't turn the ball over). Much of the Atlanta offense bases off running the ball, controlling the clock and play action. If we can get our run defenses from last year back, just for one game, I think we will win.

Thoughts?

We basically did shut down Ryan last time we met in Atlanta. We could've saved ourselves a lot of trouble if we could tackle Turner.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We basically did shut down Ryan last time we met in Atlanta. We could've saved ourselves a lot of trouble if we could tackle Turner.
I thought Matty was about 24/28 against us? Hardly a pass hit the ground, and we never picked him off either.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I thought Matty was about 24/28 against us? Hardly a pass hit the ground, and we never picked him off either.

He's always efficient, but he didn't really have many huge gainers. The more I think about it, that's probably because they got it done on the ground.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's always efficient, but he didn't really have many huge gainers.
Just like us this week in Philly. For the first time all year, we had no passing plays of over 20 yards. (James Jones dropped the 70-yarder though)
But Rodgers was efficient and safe, a la Matty Ice against us the last time.

I say put Tramon on Roddy White, and Collins on Gonzalez, blitz everyone everytime and punish and hammer Turner and Ryan in the backfield all day long. Even if Tramon has to hold Whtie coming off the LOS, do it early so Ryan can't throw it and bang his head into the turf early and often. Send a message. Like Bishop did to Vick on the first play.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Just like us this week in Philly. For the first time all year, we had no passing plays of over 20 yards. (James Jones dropped the 70-yarder though)
But Rodgers was efficient and safe, a la Matty Ice against us the last time.

I say put Tramon on Roddy White, and Collins on Gonzalez, blitz everyone everytime and punish and hammer Turner and Ryan in the backfield all day long. Even if Tramon has to hold Whtie coming off the LOS, do it early so Ryan can't throw it and bang his head into the turf early and often. Send a message. Like Bishop did to Vick on the first play.

Honestly, if the D can just focus on consistently bringing Turner down when we get to him, we'll give this team fits.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before.
Matt Ryan is a checkdown captain. Without a running game, he cannot win a game. His 6.8 YPC attest to that.

Now, he's a very smart kid with a big future. But he's not elite right now, and he's not capable of winning a game in his own. Each game the Falcons were unable to move the ball, they lost. Look no further than against the Saints.

That's still a HUGE matter, because Ryan is good enough so that one can't stack the box. But, just like the first time we faced them, cover Roddy White, cover Gonzo, and stop Turner, we're set on D.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner has the most carries in the league and is slowing down since he played us. You will see something different from capers and the defense this go around

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game comes down to turnovers. If Rogers doesn't fumble at the goal line we win the regular season game. If we don't turn the ball over Sat. we win the game.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so because I don't remember putting David Bow..errr Ryan under much pressure the first time around.

Atlanta has a good offensive line. We need to find a way to get presure on Ryan. He's had time back in the pocket all year. We need to get to him.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post from the official gameday thread...

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Turner is a bigger asset to the Falcons offense than Ryan is. He cannot have a huge day against us or we will not win. If a player has a clear shot to make a tackle they HAVE to make it. Turner is a big dude and he needs to be brought down to reduce his yards after contact.

shut down the run and we win this game. unfortunately, i don't think we're gonna win because i dont think we can shut down the run.

if there has been any weakness in our defense it would be our run defense. Turner is a big powerful back and he was more than a handful in the first match up. we didnt really stop him then, and i dont see us stopping him saturday.

If we dont turn the ball over we will compete all game, but in the end i think Atlanta's offense will be extremely tough to stop. specifically their run game which sets up their short efficient pass game.

Edit: Also, our run game against Atlanta was virtually non-existent. After Starks big game against the Eagles i am not entirely convinced we "have" a run game. Remember, Starks had a big game against the Niners then struggled mightly against Detroit. Our lack of a run game was a huge part in our inability to win our first match up.

This is because there were several points where we were presented with convertible third down situations, and the run game was stuffed. When we convert on third down and dont take dumb penalties, we win games.

Edit2: if anyone was looking for numbers here they are:

Turner: 23 carries, 110 yards, 4.8 per
Jackson: 10 carries, 26 yards, 2.6 per

Rodgers had more rush yards than Jackson did.

These numbers CAN NOT happen again if we have any chance to win this game.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post from the official gameday thread...

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Turner is a bigger asset to the Falcons offense than Ryan is. He cannot have a huge day against us or we will not win. If a player has a clear shot to make a tackle they HAVE to make it. Turner is a big dude and he needs to be brought down to reduce his yards after contact.

shut down the run and we win this game. unfortunately, i don't think we're gonna win because i dont think we can shut down the run.

if there has been any weakness in our defense it would be our run defense. Turner is a big powerful back and he was more than a handful in the first match up. we didnt really stop him then, and i dont see us stopping him saturday.

If we dont turn the ball over we will compete all game, but in the end i think Atlanta's offense will be extremely tough to stop. specifically their run game which sets up their short efficient pass game.

Edit: Also, our run game against Atlanta was virtually non-existent. After Starks big game against the Eagles i am not entirely convinced we "have" a run game. Remember, Starks had a big game against the Niners then struggled mightly against Detroit. Our lack of a run game was a huge part in our inability to win our first match up.

This is because there were several points where we were presented with convertible third down situations, and the run game was stuffed. When we convert on third down and dont take dumb penalties, we win games.

Edit2: if anyone was looking for numbers here they are:

Turner: 23 carries, 110 yards, 4.8 per
Jackson: 10 carries, 26 yards, 2.6 per

Rodgers had more rush yards than Jackson did.

These numbers CAN NOT happen again if we have any chance to win this game.

I'm not sold on Starks yet either. Yes, he had a great game but I kinda doubt the Eagles really thought about him too much when they were working on their gameplan. The Falcons will know who is going to run the football for us on Saturday.

I really, really hope that Starks proves me wrong and can run well against Atlanta. All I can remember from the Falcons game earlier this year though is that everytime we tried to run the ball the Falcons linebackers came up an stuffed it. They have some good linebackers.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did we play ATL with Cullen? It's gonna be different this time around...

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Michael Turner is vastly over rated as a RB. Hes, he is one massive dude. And he can plow guys over. Rarely do you see him go for negative or no gain. But he Falcons YPC (yards per carry) as a whole is not nearly as good as most people guess.

Turner simply gets a lot of credit (which he should get some) because he is big and hard to bring down. The last time we met, it was no different. Turner would just bowl our defenders over. And our run defense is usually a tad suspect. But we shut down McCoy on Sunday, and I didn't think that would happen.

Also... As I am sure you are aware, Tony Gonzalez got some big catches on us. Maybe they weren't the longest, but they came at clutch moments when they needed them most.

The Falcons provide no easy task... But I feel like we can do enough to get the job done. And I don't see them holding our offense back as much as they did last time.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Just like most games a good strategy is to Stop the Run and make them one dimensional. I just think the O-line of Atlanta manhandled our Defense last time and opened holes for Turner (if I remember correctly). We never really stopped Turner or Matty ice.

I hope MM/Capers have something up their sleeves this time or it will be another nail biter.

I'm just glad that the Falcons have to worry about Starks now, not just Rodgers. That alone will open up play action and the passing game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Michael Turner is vastly over rated as a RB. Hes, he is one massive dude. And he can plow guys over. Rarely do you see him go for negative or no gain. But he Falcons YPC (yards per carry) as a whole is not nearly as good as most people guess.

Turner simply gets a lot of credit (which he should get some) because he is big and hard to bring down. The last time we met, it was no different. Turner would just bowl our defenders over. And our run defense is usually a tad suspect. But we shut down McCoy on Sunday, and I didn't think that would happen.

Also... As I am sure you are aware, Tony Gonzalez got some big catches on us. Maybe they weren't the longest, but they came at clutch moments when they needed them most.

The Falcons provide no easy task... But I feel like we can do enough to get the job done. And I don't see them holding our offense back as much as they did last time.
Like that 4th down that he actually didn't catch but the refs gave him anyway...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, Gonzales got some calls because he is Gonzales. Hopefully we don't get screwed by the replay being delayed 2 plays to our booth upstairs. Obvious cheating by the falcons...sorry Home Field Advantage.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Gonzales got some calls because he is Gonzales. Hopefully we don't get screwed by the replay being delayed 2 plays to our booth upstairs. Obvious cheating by the falcons...sorry Home Field Advantage.

IMO the only player in the NFL right now that is hands down the greatest ever to play his position.

Latest posts