Michael Clark and other training camp tidbits

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pettine is running drills focused solely on getting assignments correct when the offense motions. Nagler said that was never done under Capers. I’m very encouraged by that. The biggest opportunity for this defense to improve is just through making sure guys know what they’re supposed to do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Davis is apparently working House over this practice. I take that more as a bad sign for House than anything else, but it will be interesting to see if this drum beat continues for Davis.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis is apparently working House over this practice. I take that more as a bad sign for House than anything else, but it will be interesting to see if this drum beat continues for Davis.
one of the things i wanted, after seeing the Packers draft CB's 1-2, was last years CB's, who were horrible for the most part, get beat out by the newbs. if davis is out there bossing house it's a sign this may be happening.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
one of the things i wanted, after seeing the Packers draft CB's 1-2, was last years CB's, who were horrible for the most part, get beat out by the newbs. if davis is out there bossing house it's a sign change this may be happening.

Yes, I think that House’s roster spot is in jeopardy. But it makes sense that he opens camp with the ones, as he is the veteran. I think the opening nickel will feature King and Williams outside and Alexander in the slot. Jackson is clearly also making this roster, leaving House, Hawkins, Pipkins, Waters, Rollins, and Brown fighting over probably two more spots.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Clark, he was also a basketball player who only played one year of college football. He hadn’t played all that much by the time he was on the Packers. I’m guessing he just decided that he doesn’t like football all that much. Good luck to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sounds like the play of the day goes to Trevor Davis. I already like his chances at the roster due to PR skills. If he starts making a play here or there on offense, you can lock that up.

Davis has made plays in the past during camp as well. He reminds me a lot of Janis and therefore I won't get excited about him excelling in practice.

He won’t say what’s up with Madison, just that they were surprised by it. That’s not encouraging.

According to several sources Madison is attending to a personal matter.

J.K. Scott’s first set (6) of punts against the rush average about 55 yard and 4.4 seconds of hang time. That’ll do.

While the numbers definitely look impressive, especially after Scott kind of shanked the first punt, you have to consider that he had wind from behind and the rushers weren't in full pads though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers said that Pettine gave a speech to the team yesterday that was "an all timer"
His energy alone is going to light a spark on the defense. A refreshing change from the hapless Capers demeanor.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His energy alone is going to light a spark on the defense. A refreshing change from the hapless Capers demeanor.
Capers worked well when he had the hair on fire coach like Greene walking the sidelines. A good team. When that was lost I'm not sure anyone filled that void.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Davis has made plays in the past during camp as well. He reminds me a lot of Janis and therefore I won't get excited about him excelling in practice.

According to several sources Madison is attending to a personal matter.

While the numbers definitely look impressive, especially after Scott kind of shanked the first punt, you have to consider that he had wind from behind and the rushers weren't in full pads though.

I don’t expect that Davis is ever going to be a fixture on offense, but I do think it’s true that if he can impress some in camp as a receiver, his roster spot is safe because he’s easily the best returner they have.

I realize that Madison has a “personal matter,” but there’s been no insight as to what that is.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t expect that Davis is ever going to be a fixture on offense, but I do think it’s true that if he can impress some in camp as a receiver, his roster spot is safe because he’s easily the best returner they have.

I realize that Madison has a “personal matter,” but there’s been no insight as to what that is.
perhaps that is because it is.... you know... personal ?

H

HardRightEdge

Kevin king sounds like a standout defender so far, play of the day leaping over Kendricks to intercept Rodgers
Rodgers was adamant that was a completion, not an interception, not that any of this stuff matters at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Capers worked well when he had the hair on fire coach like Greene walking the sidelines. A good team. When that was lost I'm not sure anyone filled that void.

My feelings exactly. Cringed every time I saw Dom up in the sky boxes. I'm sure he felt like he could be a better tactical coach from up there and rely on his assistants to do the on the field stuff. Maybe the cameras never showed it, but about all the "fire" I saw with the defense on the sidelines, after Greens departure, was players yapping and jawing at each other. I don't think you quite need a Woody Hayes down there, but it sure seems like a guy like Pettine is going to be right there lightening a fire under somebodies *** if need be and hopefully this will not only improve the defense, but allow MM the ability to not have to worry about his defense so much.

H

HardRightEdge

Pettine is running drills focused solely on getting assignments correct when the offense motions. Nagler said that was never done under Capers.
That is a little surprising, but not all that much. Capers always struck me as a concept guy where preparation in the room, on the whiteboard, in the playbook was the emphasis.

Tramon Williams: "Coach Pettine believes in football stuff not semantic stuff," with a little smile. We know who Pettine is being compared to.

https://www.packers.com/video/rock-report-defense

If one might sum up what we've heard about the Pettine approach compared to Capers it would be less concept, more instinct, and instincts are not refined just by study but also by doing, by repetition, to get to the point where there is less thinking and translating signals and more reacting.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trevor Davis is sharing PR drill snaps with Rollins and Tramon Williams. If that’s really the competition (i.e. they aren’t bringing in more guys— and they could), then put Davis’ name down in ink.

H

HardRightEdge

Trevor Davis is sharing PR drill snaps with Rollins and Tramon Williams. If that’s really the competition (i.e. they aren’t bringing in more guys— and they could), then put Davis’ name down in ink.
The actual competition on the roster would be Alexander if they chose to try him. Perhaps they agree with me that would be an imprudent risk.

Williams is an interesting choice. He was the punt returner in 2010 and actually led the league with 41 returns. The 8.0 average that season might be tied to the number of returns indicating a reluctance to fair catch or let the ball bounce. However, in the last 7 seasons he's returned 2 punts for 0 yards and the guy is 35 years old.

I don't see Williams or Rollins winning that job. It's more likely an evaluation of who to try in preseason for the backup PR job. I suppose its possible if Williams does not win one of the 3 starting CB jobs they'll use him there to gain a game day roster spot and give him something to do along with dime coverage. Then you gotta find a KO return guy because Davis may be first in line for that. That would probably be Montgomery in which case I will predict he'd be injured on a KO return at some point during the season.

It's still way too early to say. He who starts first often ends up being last. Jobs are won or lost on preseason performance, and then often lost on failure to follow-through in weeks 1-3.

D

Deleted member 6794

I fully expect Davis to make the roster based on his performance as a returner but there's no reason to assume he will even be part of the rotation as a receiver.

Rodgers was adamant that was a completion, not an interception, not that any of this stuff matters at this stage.

McCarthy said it was a great play by both players ;)

Williams is an interesting choice. He was the punt returner in 2010 and actually led the league with 41 returns. The 8.0 average that season might be tied to the number of returns indicating a reluctance to fair catch or let the ball bounce.

I don't see Williams or Rollins winning that job. It's more likely an evaluation of who to try in preseason for the backup PR job. I suppose its possible if Williams does not win one of the 3 starting CB jobs they'll use him there to gain a game day roster spot and give him something to do along with dime coverage.

Williams actually was toed for the third most fair catches in the league with a total 19 during the 2010 regular season as well.

It would definitely been a waste of money signing Williams this offseason for him to solely be the dime cornerback as well as the backup punt returner.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I fully expect Davis to make the roster based on his performance as a returner but there's no reason to assume he will even be part of the rotation as a receiver.

Depending on how thing go for the Rookie WR's and Allison, that could leave the Packers a bit thin at WR. We saw that problem with Janis taking up a roster spot. He was kept around as a gunner and wasn't much of a WR, so when injuries hit, the position got pretty weak. I assume Adams, Cobb and Allison are almost locks. So if Davis is #4 and 2 or even 3 rookies make the final 53 behind him, you are looking at a pretty inexperienced group. Personally, I would rather see another young player step up as the returner, maybe one of the rookie WR's and use Davis's roster spot for a veteran FA WR. I guess my feeling is that if a guy has no future at one of the 22 positions, keeping him strictly as a special teams guy is burning a spot needlessly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Depending on how thing go for the Rookie WR's and Allison, that could leave the Packers a bit thin at WR. We saw that problem with Janis taking up a roster spot. He was kept around as a gunner and wasn't much of a WR, so when injuries hit, the position got pretty weak. I assume Adams, Cobb and Allison are almost locks. So if Davis is #4 and 2 or even 3 rookies make the final 53 behind him, you are looking at a pretty inexperienced group. Personally, I would rather see another young player step up as the returner, maybe one of the rookie WR's and use Davis's roster spot for a veteran FA WR. I guess my feeling is that if a guy has no future at one of the 22 positions, keeping him strictly as a special teams guy is burning a spot needlessly.

I don't consider Allison a lock to make the roster.

While it's true that it would be beneficial having your returner contribute either on offense or defense as well it seems Alexander is the only player presenting such an option. I'm not keen on the team using him in that role though.

In a perfect world a team wouldn't features any guys that solely excel on special teams but that's unrealistic to expect.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While it's true that it would be beneficial having your returner contribute either on offense or defense as well it seems Alexander is the only player presenting such an option. I'm not keen on the team using him in that role though.

In a perfect world a team wouldn't features any guys that solely excel on special teams but that's unrealistic to expect.
I'd say Allison has an inside track in experience, but he's no lock, I'd agree. I hope Davis surprises the heck out of me or is replaced. I just haven't seen him offer anything as a WR yet in this league and when he was drafted i thought we got a nice guy to build on. I credit my scouting skills on that one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He saw the writting on the wall. No way was he gonna make it with all these studs we have at WR.
It will be interesting to see if he catches on with someone else, or if he really just wanted to quit football. I was surprised and had high hopes for him. As you point out though, they have plenty of prospects at WR, just not a lot of veteran talent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree about Allison. I think he’s shown us pretty much all he has. Not a bad thing, there’s just a lot of competition. As for STs, yeah there will always be one or two position players not yet ready for prime time but who can contribute on STs. That said, they can’t keep a guy for multiple years just for ST expertise - I’m primarily thinking of Jeff Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for STs, yeah there will always be one or two position players not yet ready for prime time but who can contribute on STs. That said, they can’t keep a guy for multiple years just for ST expertise - I’m primarily thinking of Jeff Janis.

There are some special teamers who never contribute a lot on either defense or offense but still end up having a career lasting multiple seasons. Jarrett Bush is a great example of a player making a living on ST.

Members online

Latest posts