Merriman?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott is an ILB, and so is Harris.

I think it'll be Calvin Pace and Jason Taylor...

And Gholston will play DE...

I think they're a very good team but the hype exceeds the talent.

They're not a very talented group but the way they're being used makes them more effective than they should be. Harris is a good blitzer so is Pace and Scott is a good cover guy, Rex Ryan uses they're best skillset to come up with the perfect plays to utilize them.

Of course they're overhyped. They always are being one of the NEW YORK teams. I hate the East Coast and East Coast Bias that's preveland in the NFL and especially MLB.

But remember, they made it to the AFC Title game this January. That's as far as we have gone since the 1998 season.
And these damn Jets did it with a rookie QB who was a weakness.

Now they've plugged a handful of holes in the off-season with some talented aging veterans (reminicent of Keith Jackson, santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, Don Beebe, Earl Dotson, Andre Rison....), plus drafted a corner that many thought would be a top-20 pick in Kyle Wilson.

It might not advance them past where they ended this January, but they've clearly strengthened their roster from top to bottom. And Shonn Greene is an emerging superstar at RB.

We went to the NFC Championship game with a near 3 point victory in OT. I'd say that's much closer than how far the Jets made it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're not a very talented group but the way they're being used makes them more effective than they should be. Harris is a good blitzer so is Pace and Scott is a good cover guy, Rex Ryan uses they're best skillset to come up with the perfect plays to utilize them.

We went to the NFC Championship game with a near 3 point victory in OT. I'd say that's much closer than how far the Jets made it.
Right. I meant to word it: We haven't gone any further than 1998. One win from the Super Bowl once since that year. Just like the Jets this year.
Favre f****d up our best chances with bad picks in the biggest games since.

I hate the Jets though, but I respect what they have done this past year after Farve tried to f*** that franchise up and they rebuilt immediately with a new HC and QB. I top my cap to that aggressiveness. Today's NFL is not a slow-build, gotta develop guys for 5 years. Like the Saints from 08 to 09, you can turn around a team fast in today's NFL if you make good moves, and get some breaks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. I meant to word it: We haven't gone any further than 1998. One win from the Super Bowl once since that year. Just like the Jets this year.
Favre f****d up our best chances with bad picks in the biggest games since.

I hate the Jets though, but I respect what they have done this past year after Farve tried to f*** that franchise up and they rebuilt immediately with a new HC and QB. I top my cap to that aggressiveness. Today's NFL is not a slow-build, gotta develop guys for 5 years. Like the Saints from 08 to 09, you can turn around a team fast in today's NFL if you make good moves, and get some breaks.
But how long does those teams remain contenders is the question...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's NFL is not a slow-build, gotta develop guys for 5 years. Like the Saints from 08 to 09, you can turn around a team fast in today's NFL if you make good moves, and get some breaks.

The saints more or less had a down year that one year, as they were deep in the playoffs before. They needed to fix the D, but the offense has been there for several years. Drew Brees is big of a reason as any why they got to where they did, and it wasnt like they got him last season and threw him in and all of a sudden they were good.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The saints more or less had a down year that one year, as they were deep in the playoffs before. They needed to fix the D, but the offense has been there for several years. Drew Brees is big of a reason as any why they got to where they did, and it wasnt like they got him last season and threw him in and all of a sudden they were good.
Well I don't think they had won that division since the year the Bears went to the Super Bowl.
Carolina won it last year, the Bucanneers the year before. Look how far and fast Tampa Bay fell.
And Atlanta made the playoffs also the year before last with the rookie Matt Ryan. Things change fast in today's NFL.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I don't think they had won that division since the year the Bears went to the Super Bowl.
Carolina won it last year, the Bucanneers the year before. Look how far and fast Tampa Bay fell.
And Atlanta made the playoffs also the year before last with the rookie Matt Ryan. Things change fast in today's NFL.
Really? The criteria for change is a division where since it was created the winner from the previous year ended in the last place the following year and that the 4th placer ended in 1st ALMOST EVERY TIME?

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFC_South]NFC South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Worst-to-first pattern

Since the alignment in 2002, the team that finished in last place in the division the previous year went on to make a postseason appearance in the following season, with the last place team winning the division in 6 of the past 7 seasons:[1]

• Carolina finished last in 2002 (7-9) and finished first in 2003 (11-5)
  • Atlanta finished last in 2003 (5-11) and finished first in 2004 (11-5)
  • Tampa Bay finished last in 2004 (5-11) and finished first in 2005 (11-5)
  • New Orleans finished last in 2005 (3-13) and finished first in 2006 (10-6)
  • Tampa Bay finished last in 2006 (4-12) and finished first in 2007 (9-7)
  • Atlanta finished last in 2007 (4-12) and finished second with a wild-card berth in 2008 (11-5)[2]
  • New Orleans finished last in 2008 (8-8) and finished first in 2009 (13-3)
Interestingly, no team in the NFC South has earned back-to-back postseason appearances since the division's creation in 2002 (For example, Atlanta and Carolina made the playoffs in 2008, but both teams failed to do so in 2009.)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. You just showed what I said, that today's NFL has a lot of turnover and things change fast.

It's not like the 80's and 90's when teams, like Buffalo, Dallas, then us, then Denver, built and got better, got closer, etc... then reached the pinnacle at the Super Bowl.

Now you get Arizona all of a sudden popping into a Super Bowl, New Orleans, a few years ago you had Carolina, Chicago, etc. The Bills made 4 straight Super Bowls, and I think either Dallas, Washington, the Giants or San Francisco were in about 10 straight for the NFC back a few decades ago. Now things are much more wide-open and unpredictable.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. You just showed what I said, that today's NFL has a lot of turnover and things change fast.

It's not like the 80's and 90's when teams, like Buffalo, Dallas, then us, then Denver, built and got better, got closer, etc... then reached the pinnacle at the Super Bowl.

Now you get Arizona all of a sudden popping into a Super Bowl, New Orleans, a few years ago you had Carolina, Chicago, etc. The Bills made 4 straight Super Bowls, and I think either Dallas, Washington, the Giants or San Francisco were in about 10 straight for the NFC back a few decades ago. Now things are much more wide-open and unpredictable.
Yes, but all those teams were one-year wonders, and lost the SB. Except the Saints, we still don't know about the Saints...

But Pittsburgh has been contending a lot, until their QB allegedly ***** a girl. The Colts are contending every year. The Patriots were as close to a dynasty as there is. The NFC has been more balanced, though. There isn't a clear team that dominated the decade...

The teams that are contending year in year out weren't build in one day...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but all those teams were one-year wonders, and lost the SB. Except the Saints, we still don't know about the Saints...

The teams that are contending year in year out weren't build in one day...
What's your definition of "contending"?
Every team thinks they are contending when the season starts.
We went to the NFC Title game in 2008, and thought we were a contender again in September, but we finished 6-10. Were we a contender or not? Injuries happen to every team.

Calling all these teams one-year wonders is shaky.
Carolina almost won that Super Bowl about 5, 6 years ago, and then they were the #1 seed two seasons ago.

Seattle was good for a long time, made one Super Bowl.

Buffalo in the early-mid 90's made 4 straight Super Bowls.
Tell me the last NFC Team who made 2 straight Super Bowls and when it was.
The fact is while one team may think they are getting one step better each year, there are other teams who are going to take two and three steps forward that year. As New Orleans did last year. As Arizona did the year before (and then last year again, when they eliminated us).

San Diego is your case study. They've been getting better for seemingly 7 seasons. They're always everybodies vogue pick. They were always a top seed in the playoffs. Yet they just ended the LT era and made no Super Bowls.

This is the danger of the Packers approach. They assume their own young guys will somehow magically progress and improve better and faster than all the other 31 teams, and they assume their draft picks are going to be better than everyone else's, and that they will make up for the fact that they ignored clear and indisputable holes from the previous season. I still wonder if the GM saw the same pass coverage and pass rush we all saw versus Arizona and Minnesota twice and Pittsburgh.

I love our offense, and our run defense.
But the special teams and pass defense has to dramatically improve or we will see a sequel to last year.
I know everyone assumed that the 2nd time we played Minnesota last year, that it would be different from the first time and that we would now try hard to sack Favre.
It takes players to do it. You can't expect Capers to work magic by snapping his fingers.

Is Tim Knicky the solution?
Frank Zombo?
Pat Lee or Brandon Underwood?

God knows I hope so cuz that's all we got new.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your definition of "contending"?
Every team thinks they are contending when the season starts.
We went to the NFC Title game in 2008, and thought we were a contender again in September, but we finished 6-10. Were we a contender or not? Injuries happen to every team.

Calling all these teams one-year wonders is shaky.
Carolina almost won that Super Bowl about 5, 6 years ago, and then they were the #1 seed two seasons ago.

Seattle was good for a long time, made one Super Bowl.

Buffalo in the early-mid 90's made 4 straight Super Bowls.
Tell me the last NFC Team who made 2 straight Super Bowls and when it was.
The fact is while one team may think they are getting one step better each year, there are other teams who are going to take two and three steps forward that year. As New Orleans did last year. As Arizona did the year before (and then last year again, when they eliminated us).

San Diego is your case study. They've been getting better for seemingly 7 seasons. They're always everybodies vogue pick. They were always a top seed in the playoffs. Yet they just ended the LT era and made no Super Bowls.

This is the danger of the Packers approach. They assume their own young guys will somehow magically progress and improve better and faster than all the other 31 teams, and they assume their draft picks are going to be better than everyone else's, and that they will make up for the fact that they ignored clear and indisputable holes from the previous season. I still wonder if the GM saw the same pass coverage and pass rush we all saw versus Arizona and Minnesota twice and Pittsburgh.

I love our offense, and our run defense.
But the special teams and pass defense has to dramatically improve or we will see a sequel to last year.
I know everyone assumed that the 2nd time we played Minnesota last year, that it would be different from the first time and that we would now try hard to sack Favre.
It takes players to do it. You can't expect Capers to work magic by snapping his fingers.

Is Tim Knicky the solution?
Frank Zombo?
Pat Lee or Brandon Underwood?

God knows I hope so cuz that's all we got new.
Why my case of study should be the Chargers?

Why not the Pats? They won based on drafted players with some free agents.

The steelers won twice with almost no free agent.
The Giants didn't have many FAs on their roster when they won.

My definition of contention is to reach the playoffs every year (or almost) and make a run for it. The chargers could be qualified as it, but they choke. Like the vikings. Like the Eagles. Who were build with FAs.

I'm arguing how to build a team for the long haul. You've shown me one example where that approach failed. I've shown you several that succeeded.

I want one team from the last decade that's a perennial contender and was build through FA. The last time the Panthers won in the playoffs was 2005. How's that for contending in the long haul?

There simply isn't one. Every team that was build to win now, with the exception of the Saints (and even then, you can make a case they weren't build to win now) failed to win it, and not only that, but they couldn't make an impact in the playoffs after the run.

Actually, the only team that I can think of that was successful by building with lots of FAs and that mantained that success for more than a year or two was the 90's GB...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant, Woodson, Harris, Pickett

Who says the packers arent active in the offseason? (or early season)

If someone has a really good memory they should list the big FA or trade that happened each offseason in the 10 years. I bet more often than not the team that acquired a big name regretted it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why my case of study should be the Chargers?

Why not the Pats? They won based on drafted players with some free agents.

My definition of contention is to reach the playoffs every year (or almost) and make a run for it. The chargers could be qualified as it, but they choke.

I want one team from the last decade that's a perennial contender and was build through FA. The last time the Panthers won in the playoffs was 2005. How's that for contending in the long haul?
The season before last, the Panthers & Giants had the best record in the NFC with the #1 & #2 seeds and the byes.

The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl for 6 or 7 seasons and the one they did get to 2 1/2 years ago was thanks to the additions of Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Look at that. Those are their 2 starting WR's and they simply went out and got them. On the other hand, they drafted WR Chad Jackson in 2006 while we then drafted WR Greg Jennings about 20 picks later. Our draft was better. I'd say their addition of Welker made up for it, and then their bargain-addition of Moss was the icing on the cake.

Your definition of contention is pretty much the same as mine is.

But looking back on the Packers history the past 15 years, I can tell you this: the feeling of Making it to a Super Bowl outweighs 10 years of being pretty good, almost making the playoffs or making the playoffs to lose the first game or second game.

And winning it (the euphoria) lasts even longer.

The Viqueens have not been TO the big game since the mid 1970's.
We have not been TO the big game since 1998.

It's time we changed that, and as you pointed out, we the Packers, in our 1996 title year, had quite a few FA additions. But they were not young guys in Don Beebe, Eugene Robinson, Earl Dotson, Santana Dotson, Andre Rison, Reggie White, Sean Jones, Keith Jackson.

Those guys were on the backend of their careers, but they were smart and hungry for a Super Bowl. Adding them didn't stunt the growth of younger players on the team, and they didn't mean we still weren't able to attend NFL Drafts anymore.

Hell, in 1998, God gave us a gift on a silver platter when he slid Randy Moss down out of the top 3, top 5, top 10, all the way to us at #18, but Wolf chickened out because of marijuana concerns. having him at that point would have made us contenders for another decade and would have prevented the Vikings from taking over from us that year.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guys is pretty broken down. Once he stopped taking the juice, he was done. Trust me, I have seen him extensively at San Diego, and his diminishing play at Buffalo. I think this guys career is over. :(

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard of him so he must be good. If we had signed him 3 years ago, and he performed as well for us as he did Buffalo, imagine the sack total increase over that time!

One. He has gotten 1 sack in 3 years.

We will cut 2 OLBs who are better tthan he already.

H

HardRightEdge

This guys is pretty broken down. Once he stopped taking the juice, he was done. Trust me, I have seen him extensively at San Diego, and his diminishing play at Buffalo. I think this guys career is over. :(

Actually, he had a Pro Bowl / Second Team All Pro season in the year after the steroid suspension. But that, and the other off field issues, are neither here nor there.

His 2008 season was wiped out by knee surgery, followed by a lackluster 2009 with 4 sacks and 36 tackles. His Achilles problems began in 2010 and recurred with a partial tear in 2011.

His stat line total for the last 4 years is as follows: 23 games, 5 sacks, 53 tackles, 0 forced fumbles, 0 ints.

The odds he can return to form after 4 injury plagued years are nil.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think he's the type of guy the packers are going to go after. Injury riddled recent past and doesnt seem to have that "juice" that seems to be the buzz word of this summer.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure why any team would even consider bringing him in considering how he's been on and off the field since he got suspended for juice and beat up Tila Tequila or something.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a trade best case scenario I'd give a 6th rd draft pick. As far as $ the best case scenario would be $1M for 1 yr. our #2 guys on D could use a fire under their butt. I believe Merriman could help out even as a back up. I'm sure he'd buck up if he was on a team that has a chance for a title

Members online

Latest posts