MCKENZIE HOLDOUT HARDLY A SUCCESS

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From PFT.com

As several guys dig in their heels for premature extensulations of their contracts, one player whom they should keep in mind is cornerback Mike McKenzie.

McKenzie wanted a new contract in Green Bay a year ago, and he generally had a stick up his stinker regarding changes to the defensive coaching staff. So McKenzie made himself scarce for the entire offseason and training camp and the preseason and one game of the regular season.

Given his base salary in 2004 of $275,000, McKenzie gave up a game check of $161,764 by skipping the regular season opener.

But what wasn't reported in the wake of McKenzie's trade from Green Bay to New Orleans is that the Packers also withheld McKenzie's $161,764 game check for the second week of the season, even though he reported and was on the roster.

The Packers could have tried to get even more money from McKenzie, based on an estimated $250,000 in fines and the portion of his signing bonus associated with the game he missed.

Still, the end result for McKenzie was that he lost a $200,000 in workout bonus and $323,000 in game checks.

And even without more than $500,000 that he otherwise would have earned, McKenzie still doesn't have a new contract.

So this year McKenzie understandably is working out with the Saints in the offseason, in order to earn this year's $200,000 workout bonus. We also predict that he'll report to training camp and every game, lest he lost more game checks at a 2005 rate of more than $200,000 a week.

The lesson to anyone who's thinking about violating the terms of his current contract in order to get a new one? There are consequences.

In McKenzie's case, there were more than a half million of them.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
great article...im surprised they still haven't reworked his contract yet. i know they signed him under the impression he was getting new money.

But he said his gripe was with Sherman not the money even though he felt he was underpaid. So you are saying NO said they would re do his contract? It will be interesting to see what happens down there.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopardmech said:
It's too bad that all the owners or GMs wouldn't stick together and never give in to these guys that forget that their signature is on that contract.

Later
Leopardmech

That would be one way to look at it. The other is if each owner stood up for himself and his team and insisted each person fulfilled his contract. Any holdout by nature is putting himself above the team and not many holdouts play on championship teams it seems.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
arrowgargantuan said:
great article...im surprised they still haven't reworked his contract yet. i know they signed him under the impression he was getting new money.

But he said his gripe was with Sherman not the money even though he felt he was underpaid. So you are saying NO said they would re do his contract?

yeah i read an article not to long after they picked him up where the GM basicly alluded to that.

lemme see if i can dig it up.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks arrow. Boy, reading that article sure brings back some sour feelings. We went from insisting on a #1 pick to settling for the worst of their #2s and then gave them our #6 on top of that. O'Sullivan allowed MS to save face on the surface but accomplished nothing. Oh well, as they say, move on.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i think at that point it was a "we have to get this guy outta here" mentality. that hamstring **** he pulled (no pun intended) was really underhanded, to say the least.

all the sudden i have a bad taste in my mouth...this is a sour subject. :evil:

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all the sudden i have a bad taste in my mouth...this is a sour subject.

I agree arrow just reading this it brings back memories of how that guy screwed the Packers over. I know he didn't do any better for it but he hurt the Pack not being there on the field. Now about that bad taste, I think I will have a beer now to wash it out.

Later
Leopardmech

Members online

Latest posts