McCarthy Press conference 12-31-08

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
* Here we go.

* Final injuries: LB Nick Barnett (knee) doing very well with rehab, S Atari Bigby (ankle surgery) doing "very well" and rehabbing in Miami, T Breno Giacomini (ankle) 3-4 weeks away, FB Korey Hall (knee sprain) should be fine in a couple of weeks, DT Justin Harrell (lower back) redoing the studies and will continue to evaluate, DE Kenny Pettway (ACL surgery) doing well with rehab, T Mark Tauscher (torn ACL) probably will have surgery in 10 to 14 days, C Scott Wells will have postseason shoulder surgery, T Chad Clifton will have a couple of surgeries.

* Why so long for Tauscher's surgery? Doing some prehab to strengthen before go in.

* What doing to Clifton? Cleaning out procedure in at least one knee, probably both.

* On season: "Well, 6-10. My name's on the front door. It's not what we were looking for. It's not what we prepared for. I'm not satisfied, and it all starts from the top down. It's evaluation time right now, I had the opportunity to meet with the players, and we'll look at every aspect of our program."

* When evaluate assistants? Coordinators today, assistant coaches next week.

* Rule out changes to coaching staff? "I'm really at the beginning of it. Those are all the things that we'll look at."

* Hesitation to make changes? "You look at everything." Have three years together. Will look at all the factors, evaluate, then set plan for next year.

* Player exit interviews: Veterans on Monday, rookies and young guys on Tuesday. They can ask any question. "It's a very open dialogue. ... I thought it was very healthy. It always is." One of most informative times of year because they can speak and be heard.

* What did players think went wrong? Inability to win close games was common. If 45 players speak on one side of an issue, it probably has some validity to it.

* 45 agree on anything? On the record and the disappointment, but "they believe in the way" the program operates. Thought rookies showed good maturity.

* On Charles Woodson's suggestions that need more veterans on defense: "I think that's a convenient opinion. I talked to Charles and all the other veterans about a number of different things. There's not just one thing we need to do, and we'll look at all those things. So, I guess that everybody has a right to their opinion. I think it's convenient to attack the youth of our team. So, I'm fine with our football team. I like our football team."

* Already know what going to do, and just not telling the media? "I don't want to hurt your feelings -- this isn't about you, or the media. It's about doing the things in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers, and it's appropriate, it's right and it's the way that I'm going to do it. I'm going to go through the evaluation process, and I am going to set the course and the path for success, and that's my plan."

* So, mind not made up on staff? "Absolutely not. I'm not going to sit here and hold back decisions. Once I make up my mind, then I'll act accordingly."

* Need to do much personnel-wise for next year, or have pieces that need to develop? "I don't look at a football team (as) you're just playing the chess board and you add a couple pieces and then you're a paper champion. It's a totally different mind-set from my chair." Generally, with any team, there is a 20 percent change in personnel before spring (because of draft, free agency, etc.). Goal is to develop the other 80 percent in the coming months. "I think it's convenient to say we need this or we need that. That may be true. There may be a piece here that we agree or we disagree on. But the focus is on the whole, and I know 80 percent of those players will be here March 16, and that's the group we're going to develop, and we're going to do a damn good job of it."

* Like defensive scheme enough that keeping for 2009, regardless who's coordinating? "All of our schemes are under evaluation right now. That's what you do right now. That's what this time's for. We'll look at the run defense. We'll look at all those things. We'll look at the base concepts in normal (down and distance) all the way through." No different when look at offense and special teams.

* Zone-blocking scheme re-evaluated, too? "We kind of lump things, and we don't just run zone-blocking schemes. It's a starting point for us. We're doing more variations of that than we did Year 1, and we'll evaluate that, and we'll look to continue to try to improve that, and we'll tailor it to our players, because at the end of the day, it's really about the players." Will spend next 5 to 6 weeks, up until scouting combine, developing scheme and will have ready in March when players return.

* Really convenient, since had loss of leadership? "We talked a lot ... and it was interesting. I think we have exceptional leadership by example, and that was confirmed." Have vocal leader? Maybe not. Is that why winning or losing? "Those are all convenient things."

* Isn't loss of leadership tangible, with departures of Favre and Rob Davis? Is that really convenient? "We talked a lot about leadership, both with the veterans the young guys, and it was interesting. I think we have exceptional leadership by example. That was confirmed. Now, do we have the guy that's out there screaming and yelling and so forth? Maybe we don't. Is that why you're winning games or why you're not winning games? Those are all convenient things, and I think those are things you've got to watch because when you lose, everything's wrong. I stood up here last year, and everything was right, and I knew it wasn't all right last year. ... That's why you take the time to go through all the evaluations, you take the time to talk to everybody."

* But weren't the losses of those players tangible? "I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think there's a lot more to it than that. I don't think it's, 'Let's fix the leadership,' and then everything else is OK. I don't think that's the case." Davis still is part of program. "I think we have excellent leadership that we've got to do a better job of developing in our locker room, and I think that was (the) consensus."

* See being youngest team in league for fourth straight year? "That's not on my statistic board when we set goals for the year. I think we'd be hard-pressed to be the youngest team in the league again next year." Most important aspect of team is experience level, which is increasing.

* Injuries an excuse? "No, because it's part of the game. I think injuries play a big part in potential success in our league. It definitely makes you go different directions ... but to me, that's all part of the landscape of the National Football League. It's all part of the chess match or the journey through an NFL season. So, it's no excuse. You can make a case we probably didn't overcome our injuries as well as we should have."

* Surprised didn't stem tide during losing streak? Important to look inside games and see how lost them. Will take a "very long" look at the fourth quarter. Both sides of the ball, plus special teams, didn't do well -- 2-minute offense, kickoff coverage, etc. Will apply to practice structure as go forward.

* Themes of what went wrong in close games? "A lot of it is execution, but we'll look at everything." Everyone will be evaluated.

* Experience factor in? Now have more experience being in those situations. "In losing, you can't lose the lesson." "We had players who had very good seasons who need to be better. ... I need to coach better. We need to do a better job all the way though. ... You're either improving or you're going backwards, and you're we took some steps backwards this season."

* Confident team made right decision at quarterback? "Yes, I think we definitely made the right move at the quarterback position. I was pleased with the productivity from the quarterback position. From an individual standpoint, I think Aaron Rodgers played at a very steady, steady level, which was a high level, based on his statistics. He's given us a baseline, a standard that we will hold him to and the offensive group as we move forward."

* What like most about Rodgers' play? "Well, he held true to the type of quarterback that I felt that he was going to be, as far as his decision-making ability and his ball accuracy. That was something that he showed in his opportunities as a young player in our first couple years here, and he was able to sustain that for 16 games. So, that's what I was most pleased about. ... He was very good outside the pocket, making plays with his feet. I thought he was smart in space. He took a couple hits early in the season that you didn't see later in the season. I thought he learned from his mistakes -- Tampa Bay game, as opposed to as he moved forward. The beauty of Aaron (is) he's young, and he has the opportunity to only improve, but I think he has a good baseline to start from."

* Other positives from season: "Lot of positives." Excellent foundation. Young team getting more experience that's confident, believe in what we're doing. Players go about business right way. "But the bottom line is winning football games." Excited about future.

* On offseason program: Leaning toward keeping minicamp at end. Kickoff weekend is supposed to be a week later, so that has to be factored in. Spent morning trying to finalize schedule going into training camp.

* On own performance: "I didn't get the job done. We're 6-10. Now, I can't stand up here last year and take the credit for our record last year (and then not do the same in a losing season). It starts with me. I didn't do a good enough job, whether it was the disconnect between me, the coaches and the players. ... There's always a play or two ... you'd like to have back. I think our teams were prepared, our teams played hard. It was clearly evident all the way through the season, there wasn't one time that I walked off the field where I didn't think that we were out there giving it everything we had. So, we didn't get it done. It was close. I'm not looking for moral victories, because they don't count. We lost 10 games, and I didn't do a good enough job."

* Concern with defense: Pass rush and stopping run are primary topics.

* Keep same philosophy and add blitzing element if need to? "There are starting points of every season ... but there really are no absolutes." Think it's convenient to say match defense is the issue.

* Why not more blitzing this year, after worked on new stuff in offseason? "They were used." Used frisco, bulldog sets. Defense is different than offense -- have to prepare for what offense does.

* Satisfied with implementation? "That's an ongoing conversation. ... It would be convenient to sit here and say we didn't have enough pass rush (because) we didn't bring enough pressure." Blanket statement.

* Loss of Cullen Jenkins impact run defense? Think he's a force in run defense and also makes impact in pass rush. "You need to overcome injuries regardless of who it is. But Cullen Jenkins is one of the issues ..."

* Torn on Winston Moss' situation? "There's always a personal side to it and a professional side to it." Not right to talk about career advancement and then hope doesn't get job. Spent time with him Tuesday, will again today. Will help get ready for interview. He and Thompson "wish him the best of luck."

* On Ryan Grant's falling numbers: Had long conversation. Thinks going through whole offseason will help. Doesn't think it's all Grant. Doesn't think as coordinated early in season as were late. Battled nagging injuries. "He's a young player, too. I think he has an opportunity" to get better next year.

* On offensive line: "We would like to line up and play the same five guys for 16 games." But have to remember why in this mode -- injuries. Young group, but have lot of experience. Feel very good about level of play from Spitz and Colledge. But want to settle in with five guys.

* Kick at end of Bears game -- what went wrong? "The kick was low. There's three components. ... The specifics of it, frankly, it's irrelevant ... we're 6-10." Not here to say what else went wrong. "It wasn't done right. I expect to kick that field goal every single time, and we didn't get it done."

* Who's your middle linebacker? Haven't gotten to the personnel part of it. Will have meeting with Thompson. Not going to discuss starters in January.

* Young guys that showed development, want to see spike even more? Always biggest jump from Year 1 to Year 2. "I think that rookie class is really going to contribute." (Mentions Finley, Lee, both quarterbacks, Sitton, Giacomini, Thompson.)

* Needed to get more in Year 1? "Those are really situational." Lot of factors. "It's a good group. It's a talented group. ... I think they all have a bright future."

* Take a closer look at Spitz at center? "That's definitely an option."

* Two bad seasons since 1992. Think people in organization understand what this means to go 6-10? "I don't think anybody in the Green Bay Packers organization is flippant about what just happened here. I'm the head coach. I was given an opportunity to coach a group of men, and we won six games, and I clearly understand the responsibilities and the great organization I'm working at. It's not acceptable. I'm not satisfied. There are reasons why we're here; we need to correct them as we move forward ... and that's the facts. I'm not going to comment on past seasons and so forth. But that's the reality of where we are. We need to do a better job."

gman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good that they are recovering but the injuries are not that great themselves

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him and TT are starting to irk me. When the star of your defense is telling you that more veterans are needed on defense, MORE VETERANS ARE NEEDED ON DEFENSE. The Packers need to stop this "improving from within" garbage and bring in some established talent. Who cares how Justin Harrell and Breno Giacomini are doing with rehab when they don't produce anyways?

Also, if an injury to Cullen Jenkins brings down your defense, you have horribl depth on defense... PERIOD!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is beginning to remind of John Paxson and Bulls here in Chicago. Every year you hear, "We have a great young foundation of talent. Once this talent matures, in a year or two, this team can contend for a championship." Two years later, the team is stripped down and rebuilt again. Exciting young talent is only good if it matures.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
* On Charles Woodson's suggestions that need more veterans on defense: "I think that's a convenient opinion. I talked to Charles and all the other veterans about a number of different things. There's not just one thing we need to do, and we'll look at all those things. So, I guess that everybody has a right to their opinion. I think it's convenient to attack the youth of our team. So, I'm fine with our football team. I like our football team." :no:

Just because you label it "convenient" to find fault with the recent youth movement of the Packers doesn't mean it's not a valid point, Coach. :yes:

It's also convenient to dodge the assertion that one of your veteran leaders is questioning the logic behind being the youngest, most cheaply paid team year after year. Way to go, Chuck. Someone's got to say it before anything can be done about it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

catchpatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do you guys think all these defensive veterans are going to come from? I get that the defense needs help (boy, does it need help), but there's no Reggie White out there this offseason.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
catchpatch said:
Where do you guys think all these defensive veterans are going to come from? I get that the defense needs help (boy, does it need help), but there's no Reggie White out there this offseason.

Julius Peppers and Albert Haynesworth are pretty comporable. Nobody is Reggie White, but these two are close enough.

catchpatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're not even close. I agree that the Sizzler's obsession with youth is over the top, but there's no one out there this offseason that's going to come in and transform the defense. There better be some new names on the defensive line next season, but let's not start talking like we'll be fine if only Thompson throws enough money around.

And Haynesworth will probably stay with the Titans.

Reaction score
What we need to do is keep are guys healthy throughout the season. We lost Cullen Jenkins he was key importance in defense with pass and run defense and Nick Barnett Middle Linebackers key up the most tackles and you look at the list almost everybody had to do surgery , rehab or had a bunch of minior injuries. Plus with a new def cordinatior who should blitz once and a while instead of once time a game

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
catchpatch said:
They're not even close. I agree that the Sizzler's obsession with youth is over the top, but there's no one out there this offseason that's going to come in and transform the defense. There better be some new names on the defensive line next season, but let's not start talking like we'll be fine if only Thompson throws enough money around.

And Haynesworth will probably stay with the Titans.

Either player would transform the defense simply by not allowing teams to constantly double-team Kampman. Peppers would provide a consistent pass rush from the right defensive end spot unlike Jenkins, Thompson, or Montgomery. Haynesworth, who would be stupid not to at least test the free agent market, would draw constant double teams, rush the passer, and keep linemen off of our linebackers.

PS. GB will be fine if TT throws a few dollars around and updates both lines. Don't forget GB also has the #9 overall pick and can easily get a second impact player.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
What we need to do is keep are guys healthy throughout the season. We lost Cullen Jenkins he was key importance in defense with pass and run defense and Nick Barnett Middle Linebackers key up the most tackles and you look at the list almost everybody had to do surgery , rehab or had a bunch of minior injuries. Plus with a new def cordinatior who should blitz once and a while instead of once time a game

I agree that health is big part of football, but if a season ending injury to Cullen Jenkins kills your entire defense something is wrong.

Latest posts