McCarthy orchestrates tactics for each opponent

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said before that MM is ****** approaching genius status, due to his innovative game-planning and not being married to a certain offense and personnel sets.

This will not only make the offense more effective, but will also make it difficult for opposing defenses to pick up tendancies.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's ideal. You attack opponent's weaknesses. What beats one team might completely fail against someone else.

Good find.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article, MM has put in great preparation into this team and it is beginning to show on the field....we have won 12 of the last 13 games, thats better than ANY team in the league in the last 13 games. Thats remarkable for a team that was projected by many to finish 2nd or 3rd in our division....lol unbelievable

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why some of the "oh my god we don't have a running game" threads felt my wrath(or attempted wrath) because they were stupid. Why force a struggling run game against a team that can't defend the pass, ESPECIALLY when YOUR passing attack is Favre to Driver\Jennings\Jones

Some teams can't defend the run(hi, Denver) and they got ran on(and passed on).

NOW the team has a great passing game with a semi-respectable running game and has to worry about both on every play of the game.

MM did a masterful job of weathering the storm early on.

8-1

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why some of the "oh my god we don't have a running game" threads felt my wrath(or attempted wrath) because they were stupid. Why force a struggling run game against a team that can't defend the pass, ESPECIALLY when YOUR passing attack is Favre to Driver\Jennings\Jones

Some teams can't defend the run(hi, Denver) and they got ran on(and passed on).

NOW the team has a great passing game with a semi-respectable running game and has to worry about both on every play of the game.

MM did a masterful job of weathering the storm early on.

8-1

Although you and I don't agree on a lot of things, if you remember, I was one of the people defending you. Those games, we were playing weak passing Ds and strong rushing Ds. In those cases, I think it would be common sense to pass the ball. Against Denver, that all changed. We played a team that couldn't defend the run. So...run! Common sense.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't a huge surprise to those of us that watched him in NO. I loved his game planning and playcalling for that team. His first year there (2000) he won the Assistant Coach of the Year award for his work. In 2002, the Saints scored the 3rd most points in the NFL despite only having two weapons in Horn and McCallister. He made Aaron Brooks look like a good QB. The offense consistently outperformed what you would expect looking at them on paper.

People tended to ignore those points when I brought them up when he was hired. They only wanted to talk about his one year in SF when he had NCAA D-1 level talent on his squad. I'm glad he's living up to my expectations here.