Maybe we're closer than I thought we were

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Super Bowl last night, I don't think the Packers victory over the Bears on New Years was a fluke. I wasn't impressed with the Colts either. I thought we were playing really well at the end of the season and could have beat both of those teams.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no doubt about it we could have beat the Bears. But i still think we dont have enough offensive firepower to beat the Colts. They would beat us 7 out of 10 times.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In todays NFL you do not have to be a great team to win it all, as evidenced last night. The Bears and Colts are both good teams, capable of greatness at times.

With the addition o a few players, the continued maturation of players already on the roster and a lack of devastating injuries - GB could contend for the SB next year. Of course, if new additions do not pan out and 2nd and 3rd year players regress or plateau and one or two key injuries hit and we could very well be back at 4-12....but this could be said for about 25 of the 32 teams in the league.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about beating the Colts. Their run defense is tough, especially with Bob Sanders back. The win against the Bears wasn't a fluke, but we didn't have the experience needed to make a good run, let alone contend, if we would have made the playoffs. We need some extremely good signings at TE and Safety, draft a good RB, and pick up another experienced receiver then I'd say we're a year or two away from being a team that could really make a difference in the playoffs. The rookies on the O-line played extremely well over the last few games, and in a year or two all of their kinks should be ironed out. Rodgers needs more playing time. I'll be watching him closely in the preseason.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts were a dome team playing in very bad conditions. They also blew 4 points and spotted the Bears 7.

The score should have been 40-10.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Super Bowl last night, I don't think the Packers victory over the Bears on New Years was a fluke. I wasn't impressed with the Colts either. I thought we were playing really well at the end of the season and could have beat both of those teams.

lol

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts are a really good team. I wouldn't qualify them in any way as a great team. The Bears looked so average to me. I agree with what the Packers need to pick up, but if they pick up the right players they might be able to contend next year. I think two years is more likely but not without Favre at the helm. I think teams with talent need to learn how to win. They need to be able to find that extra gear when things go wrong. The Bears didn't have anyone to turn to when they got behind. Grossman isn't the answer at QB. My thoughts prior to the game were that the Bears had to run the ball to win because if they had to turn the game over to Grossman, he would fold. That's exactly what happened.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts are a really good team. I wouldn't qualify them in any way as a great team. The Bears looked so average to me. I agree with what the Packers need to pick up, but if they pick up the right players they might be able to contend next year. I think two years is more likely but not without Favre at the helm. I think teams with talent need to learn how to win. They need to be able to find that extra gear when things go wrong. The Bears didn't have anyone to turn to when they got behind. Grossman isn't the answer at QB. My thoughts prior to the game were that the Bears had to run the ball to win because if they had to turn the game over to Grossman, he would fold. That's exactly what happened.

It was really no surprise that Grossman stunk up the house. That's why I layed the 7 points and took the Colts.

Ted Thompson is going to go about business as usual and will not go out of his way to sign any FA's to give Favre a shot at another Super Bowl.

When Favre retires TT will rot in hell.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to think someone really had to pull TT chain to get him to pick up Charles Woodson. I was completely surprised we got him, but I think we were the only team that would actually sign him as a corner. The other teams wanted him as a safety, if I remember correctly. I'd like to see TT make another move like that, but on the offensive side. He doesn't seem to like to take chances with the money he has. Spend it. It's pretty simple.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I think Thompson is going to look at filling those missing pieces anyway he can as long as it doesn't hurt the long term future of the Packers. He's not going to give away huge money to someone and then not be able to sign one of his own to a long term contract. I mean I think he wants to find those finishing pieces to the puzzle but he won't do it by selling out the franchise. It's going to make sense in every way.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, especially this year, spend it, with all the mediocre free agents. yeah...simple.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm starting to think someone really had to pull TT chain to get him to pick up Charles Woodson. I was completely surprised we got him, but I think we were the only team that would actually sign him as a corner. The other teams wanted him as a safety, if I remember correctly. I'd like to see TT make another move like that, but on the offensive side. He doesn't seem to like to take chances with the money he has. Spend it. It's pretty simple.

I thought that too, but he said he doesn't care where he plays, he came here because of the money. I posted the clip somewhere on here.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Grossman and the defensive coordinator lost them that game......Not really the actual players fault except for grossman.......I mean serioiusly, if u sit back in zone all day long, never blitz, and ur front 4 dont get pressure what do u think will happen playing peyton.......Lack of pass rush cost the bears PERIOD....Oh and the leagues worst QB!!