Mathews to Play at ROLB

Reaction score
It really won't matter if Matthews will face a better tackle. It matters when Matthews gets double and triple teamed. With Perry on the "easier" side, he can get more accustomed to the position while facing easier opponents. Matthews is more experienced so he can handle switching without missing a beat.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horse a piece. If you are against a better OT, you are typically coming from the QBs blind side. Usually the best pass rusher is on the right side. So the advantage must weigh out to be better on the right.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Also, here's a very small article..."

It's more like three sentences. That don't really provide any information beyond your post.

Relax- I'm just hassling you... I've seen people accused of spamming around here for linking to more extensive articles.

L

Lunchboxer

Does it really matter what side Mathews plays on. He will Beast out on anyside.

Now that he has some help on the oppsite side. He can be the Predator again.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed guy over LT. power guy over RT. Speed vs speed. Power vs power. This strategy is more about helping run defense than pass defense. This is just how it's done.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Mathews = 1 "t"

Clay Matthews = 2 "t"

That is all for now.
Thank you.

(I feel the guy has done enough to earn our respect of spelling the name right by now... it's not like it's a Japanese or Thai name..... it's Matthews. Come on guys.)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Press-Gazette reported that Matthews will be playing ROLB and Perry will be playing LOLB. What do you guys think?

Also, here's a very small article I wrote on it.

http://beforethekickoff.com/2012/05/22/mathews-to-play-at-rolb/

I think it's silly to assume anyone is playing anywhere based on a day or two of OTA's. It's going to largely depend on the game plan, so to say one player will for sure be locked in at one position is premature.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the rookies first practice it was reported Perry lined up on the left side and we discussed that, along with Matthews switching back to the right side (where he was his rookie season). Wilde has a good article on this here: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=7429
It’s great to read Matthews is excited…

Packers80, who do you see as the target audience for your articles?

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the rookies first practice it was reported Perry lined up on the left side and we discussed that, along with Matthews switching back to the right side (where he was his rookie season). Wilde has a good article on this here: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=7429
It’s great to read Matthews is excited…

Packers80, who do you see as the target audience for your articles?
Well, since I'm a part of the Packer Forum, I tend to put up any articles for Packer fans up here. This article was obviously short but I've written many articles that were quite lengthy. Otherwise, anyone who is a fan of football is my target audience. This article was just a short little tid-bit I guess you can say. I wasn't looking to write anything extensive.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern with Matthews on the right side is the idea of Perry in coverage. If Perry is to the side of the field with the tight end, he'll have to cover the tight end at least sometimes.

From a pass-rush perspective, it's a moot point. From a complete-player perspective, I'll be mildly concerned until I see Perry's coverage skills.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Ryan Mathews = 1 "t"

Clay Matthews = 2 "t"

That is all for now.
Thank you.

(I feel the guy has done enough to earn our respect of spelling the name right by now... it's not like it's a Japanese or Thai name..... it's Matthews. Come on guys.)

Are you simply pointing out a typo, or is this to say that it is not Clay Matthews, but some other "Mathews"? I don't see a link to the original article and was curious.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, since I'm a part of the Packer Forum, I tend to put up any articles for Packer fans up here. This article was obviously short but I've written many articles that were quite lengthy. Otherwise, anyone who is a fan of football is my target audience. This article was just a short little tid-bit I guess you can say. I wasn't looking to write anything extensive.
If you called it a blog or sent out as a tweet, nobody would have batted an eye. People are funny that way. As a tweet, people expect instantaneous info. If its after the fact, they expect some depth and analysis. I think that may be Jack's comment behind the 'target audience' question.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes it is AmishMafia. I've read two or three of Packers80 pieces on that website, not counting this one, and they seem aimed at fans of other NFL teams. No offense intended Packers80, but since you have asked for input in the past, they don't seem as in-depth as some posts here.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The oh-oh factor with CM3 on the blindside will be worth it. It's going to get in a lot of QB's heads. Not "who" is this guy but "where" is this guy. I see a tradeoff there whereas he will be facing the tougher OT's but the QB won't be able to recognize his angle and dodgeor side step as easily ( and hopefully if the QB steps up we get the better inside rush).

I like it but more importantly he seems to like it too. I see the pressure factor improving from poor to at minimum good. If we get great it's almost a lock for another SB run. In fact, I take that back, if the pressure improves to good we are probably there.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant wait to see our pash rush this year, I really think we will improve alot in this category. In 2-3 years our defense could be beastly!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I am not overly pleased to read what Matthews said, quite frankly.

Matthews said... “You look historically at 3-4 defenses and the success of outside linebackers, there’s two studs coming off the edge...”

First off, he clearly refers to himself as a "stud", which he is, but I prefer a sense of humility in these cases. Secondly, he pretty much calls the guys who were opposite him last season "not studs", which they were not, but not something you want to say about your teammates. Just my thoughts.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
It's nice to be able to have a discussion about how good we will be. Either side should be able to hurry/sack some QB's this year. I hope our inside linebackers can do the job.

Members online

Latest posts