Mason Crosby

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well now I'm confused. Ramirez got the call the same afternoon right after Crosby misses three straight kicks, yet they toss out the kicker who kicked 86.4% versus Crosby's 80%?

What logical step am I missing here?
Leg strength. Seems those reports that Tavecchio's leg wasn't that weak were all bull.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now I'm confused. Ramirez got the call the same afternoon right after Crosby misses three straight kicks, yet they toss out the kicker who kicked 86.4% versus Crosby's 80%?

What logical step am I missing here?

They cut him to get down to 75, but he could be brought back if they decide not to go with either Crosby or Ramirez. My money's on Crosby unless he misses a couple easy ones in the last preseason game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was against getting rid of Crosby last season. Olindo Mare and the rest of the names trotted out weren't any better, and Crosby pulled out of his slump to finish the season. However, he's like a 302 running on only 6 cylinders this preseason. His leg is screaming out...."Don't make me do it."

H

HardRightEdge

They cut him to get down to 75, but he could be brought back if they decide not to go with either Crosby or Ramirez. My money's on Crosby unless he misses a couple easy ones in the last preseason game.

So, they cut Sergio with the idea they could bring him back because nobody else would want him. And this is because they want to keep a 75th. guy who is 20+ spots away from making the roster as a 3rd. stringer.

My money is on Crosby, and has been from the start, unless he yips away a couple of kicks up as you say.

I didn't, and still don't, like it.

Go, Zach.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, they cut Sergio with the idea they could bring him back because nobody else would want him. And this is because they want to keep a 75th. guy who is 20+ spots away from making the roster as a 3rd. stringer.

My money is on Crosby, and has been from the start, unless he yips away a couple of kicks up as you say.

I didn't, and still don't, like it.

Go, Zach.

I don't know how on earth he can prove he'll be better in a few short days. It might come down to a salary cap decision and a roll of the dice if they go with him.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know how on earth he can prove he'll be better in a few short days. It might come down to a salary cap decision and a roll of the dice if they go with him.

Well, they didn't bring in Ramirez at this late hour for no particular reason. It's pretty clear Crosby is making them nervous.

Cap is an issue only in the sense that Crosby is well paid and not performing up to his money.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well, they didn't bring in Ramirez at this late hour for no particular reason. It's pretty clear Crosby is making them nervous.

Cap is an issue only in the sense that Crosby is well paid and not performing up to his money.
Welcome to the last 2 years of Packers football.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's also an issue to the tune of $1.5M give or take.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about? 2 years ago he hit 85% in one of the 5 toughest places to kick.
Players who didn't play to their paygrade. I never mentioned Crosby in that post. It was a joke reference to this particular forum's indictment of such players as Finley, Hawk, Tramon, and Raji.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players who didn't play to their paygrade. I never mentioned Crosby in that post. It was a joke reference to this particular forum's indictment of such players as Finley, Hawk, Tramon, and Raji.

Oh, ok, though I wouldn't put Williams in that group and Hawk is at least reliable if not spectacular. There's a reason the coaches like him.

H

HardRightEdge

It's also an issue to the tune of $1.5M give or take.

Yeah, I started the cap conversation, and mentioned the often overlooked cap carryover provision in the new CBA. The cap used to be a use-it-or-lose it proposition...now you can stockpile it. I don't wish to diminish the importance of saving a million here or a million there particularly when it can be used in the next off season for Shields, et. al.

But we're about $10 mil under the cap based on the top 51 cap hits on the roster, which is how they do it, and we could go lower with any surprise vet cuts.

Cap should come into play in this circumstance as a tie breaker or if the player's value proposition deteriorates further while an acceptable alternative is available. I doubt it has been much of a consideration quite yet, but it could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'd like to comment on Williams. Coming off of 2010, Williams was praised for his strength in press coverage. This off season, I believe it was Whitt (or maybe Capers?) who said Shields is better suited to press and Williams better suited to off coverage.

I found this particularly strange, given Williams style of play that earned him the big contract and the fact he was beaten so regularly underneath in off coverage last season. I suspect he has not regained full strength from the nerve damage associated with the shoulder injury. That makes him a different player, and not a better one.

I think he's being counted on this year, but next season may be very different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Raji, Finley...those guys want a lot of money and need to prove they deserve it. Raji is more vulnerable as Daniels looks like a second-year step-up guy and Jolly has been so surprising. Finley's a wait-and-see given the money at stake, but he's in a better position with the lack of impressive alternatives.

Hawk is an OK value with the pay cut.

12theTruth

Its not a matter of IF Crosby stumbles this year its WHEN! The team should just go ahead and go with Ramirez. He had an excellent pro day and was one of the nations best FG kickers over his college career. Has a strong leg and pretty accurate. In the event Crosby is reatained, I'd go ahead and leave Ramirez on the practice squad as then the Pack can keep working out with him whilest Crosby is still keeping us on the edges of our seat.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not a matter of IF Crosby stumbles this year its WHEN!

No, it's not, but okay.

The team should just go ahead and go with Ramirez. He had an excellent pro day and was one of the nations best FG kickers over his college career. Has a strong leg and pretty accurate.

Hmm... sounds a LOT like another rookie kicker from Colorado a few years back, doesn't it? Not saying they won't go with Ramirez, but his chances aren't real high.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ramirez (or Brown) is an interesting pick-up. I look for Crosby to be the kicker on opening day, but if he misses early in the season Ramirez will be on the field--if he isn't picked up by someone else in the league sooner.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby an unbelievable 14-for-14 today including FGs from 44, 51, 54, and 64. Ramirez missing often. Crosby has it virtually locked up.

Can he please do this in the regular season?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ramirez (or Brown) is an interesting pick-up. I look for Crosby to be the kicker on opening day, but if he misses early in the season Ramirez will be on the field--if he isn't picked up by someone else in the league sooner.
Yeah, you are probably right except replace Ramirez with Sergio now. I'm confident in Crosby, but at least this year there is a backup if he struggles.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"@MikeVandermause: That was one of most impressive kicking displays I have ever seen, by Crosby or any kicker."
He probably did lock up the kicking job today, but there isn't one person on this site or in the GB management offices that is remotely confident that this is "the new" Mason Crosby.

Members online

Latest posts