Mason Crosby

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've known Crosby was a bum.

A bum? Seriously? Is it not possible to be critical of a player without resorting to undeserved name-calling? Anyone who gives as much back to his community in terms of both money and time as Crosby does does NOT deserved to be called a bum, regardless of anything that ever happens on a football field. The measure of a man should never be confined to a sports arena.

H

HardRightEdge

The entire NFL has a 78.2% average at Lambeau over the last 14 years.

OK, and Crosby's career completion percent is 76.8% (which includes nearly half his games NOT in Green Bay or Chicago). This is further evidence that Crosby has been a below average NFL kicker over the course of his career.

Your data also indicates a troublesome point...If Crosby is 86% in kicker-friendly venues and 77% overall, his un-friendly venue numbers might be in the low-70s, well below the league's 78% in Lambeau.

You data has led me to a conclusion I had not even considered previously...Crosby is a DOME KICKER!

I couldn't say whether a guy like Carpenter in GB would better Crosby's 76.8% career number, but that's not entirely the point.

It's a question of the risk/reward equation and Crosby represents a risk. And he's not been good enough over the course of his career to justify keeping him in the hopes he snaps backs to "below average".

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first there were some ignoring Jennings comments, defending him....... they started to slowly see the light and come around.

Same thing here with Crosby.

The guy is a bad kicker no question about it. You are who you are, and for a kicker, the numbers don't lie.

If he's this shaky in fricking practice, he's going to be.... well, like he was last year, in games. We can't afford that. We can't blow everyone out all the time. We might have to win some close ones with a big kick at the end.
We can't have that.

It's too bad we didn't sign Carpenter right away, or Lindell.... or even draft the guys they drafted to replace them.
Sturgis and Hopkins, many of us wanted to draft one of them late.

Oh well. It probably won't cost us a Super Bowl.
Hey, you got your ways, I got mine. You were right about Jennings and you stand a decent chance at being right about Crosby (ignoring he made his last five kicks last year, which is when most people joined the ABC bandwagon.

Where you seem to criticize, ( Are you saying this early in the year with such a young team and good quarterback that we won't win the Super bowl?) I like to defend. When people were spitting and booing at Rodgers, I defended him. When people wanted to fire Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy before he got us that ring, I defended him. Same with many others like Finley. It is what it

On another note, Lindell and especially Carpenter are marginal talents at best. Had they kicked in Green Bay for their careers I find it doubtful they would have enjoyed the same success as Crosby did before last year. I think Ted is holding out for a better name to be released come first team cuts after week three, but I could be wrong. Maybe he does see something in our two.

/Yeah, I don't really dig the name calling either. Sure he didn't play well last season, but he wasn't the reason our season ended and he's only tried his best on and off the field. If I hire someone to do a job and he struggles after a while, I don't call him names and belittle him, I find someone else to do his job, that's probably the reason I defended him so strongly in the first place; with the out-of-place remarks.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, and Crosby's career completion percent is 76.8% (which includes nearly half his games NOT in Green Bay or Chicago). This is further evidence that Crosby has been a below average NFL kicker over the course of his career.

Your data also indicates a troublesome point...If Crosby is 86% in kicker-friendly venues and 77% overall, his un-friendly venue numbers might be in the low-70s, well below the league's 78% in Lambeau.

Well, he's 76.8% at home. At Chicago, NE, Philly, NY, Washington, Pitt and Cleveland combined he is 56.3%, so yeah. It's clear his biggest problem comes at tough kicking venues on the road.

You data has led me to a conclusion I had not even considered previously...Crosby is a DOME KICKER!

I couldn't say whether a guy like Carpenter in GB would better Crosby's 76.8% career number, but that's not entirely the point.

It's a question of the risk/reward equation and Crosby represents a risk. And he's not been good enough over the course of his career to justify keeping him in the hopes he snaps backs to "below average".

I just don't think the chances of Carpenter being any better was worth the risk in signing him on short notice, which is probably why we passed on him. I think the Packers' analysis probably showed a higher chance that Carpenter would be the same or worse than Crosby in Green Bay than the chance that he would provide any significant improvement.

And I do agree that Crosby is best suited as a dome/fair weather kicker. His numbers clearly show that. Hell, he'd be a Pro Bowler in Atlanta, New Orleans or Miami. He's very venue dependent it appears.

Regardless, Crosby is a good man and if he ends up elsewhere, I'll be rooting for him unless he's playing against us. I just don't understand those who will literally hate a man solely because of his performance on a football field, but that's on them. And I'm not referring to you, HRE.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Well, he's 76.8% at home. At Chicago, NE, Philly, NY, Washington, Pitt and Cleveland combined he is 56.3%, so yeah. It's clear his biggest problem comes at tough kicking venues on the road.

I just don't think the chances of Carpenter being any better was worth the risk in signing him on short notice, which is probably why we passed on him. I think the Packers' analysis probably showed a higher chance that Carpenter would be the same or worse than Crosby in Green Bay than the chance that he would provide any significant improvement.

And I do agree that Crosby is best suited as a dome/fair weather kicker. His numbers clearly show that. Hell, he'd be a Pro Bowler in Atlanta, New Orleans or Miami. He's very venue dependent it appears.

Regardless, Crosby is a good man and if he ends up elsewhere, I'll be rooting for him unless he's playing us.
S0 he's 77% at Lambeau and the league is 78%, with Crosby having the advantages of being at home and having familiarity with the conditions.

After looking at that dreadful away % in bad weather stadiums, I'm that much more convinced he's a DOME KICKER.

Perhaps his yips derive from letting wind get in his head, like a golfer who performs well on parkland courses but blows up on the links.

If we release him and he signs with a dome/warm weather team/conference, I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he put up an 85% season and made the Pro Bowl. That will, of course, result in I-told-you-so's. I would also not be surprised if the yips continue.

So if he makes a Pro Bowl, that doesn't mean he works well for us. Which further begs the question, why are we trying out a Cal kicker under balmy summer Midwestern skies? The only reason I can think of is TT has a thing for California college players.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if he makes a Pro Bowl, that doesn't mean he works well for us. Which further begs the question, why are we trying out a Cal kicker under balmy summer Midwestern skies? The only reason I can think of is TT has a thing for California college players.

Good question. Schwarz is probably going to stay with Akers, or so it sounds. That said, as ridiculous as it might sound to some, would it better to take a chance on fair-weather Tevecchio, or take a chance on the NFL's version of Justin Bieber? Cold wouldn't be an issue for him. Everyone says Rugland is for real and should make someone's roster.

Either way, whether Crosby makes it or not, I don't think it's going to matter much. I think our offense becomes unstoppable with legitimate play action and a real running threat.

H

HardRightEdge

Good question. Schwarz is probably going to stay with Akers, or so it sounds. That said, as ridiculous as it might sound to some, would it better to take a chance on fair-weather Tevecchio, or take a chance on the NFL's version of Justin Bieber? Cold wouldn't be an issue for him. Everyone says Rugland is for real and should make someone's roster.

Either way, whether Crosby makes it or not, I don't think it's going to matter much. I think our offense becomes unstoppable with legitimate play action and a real running threat.

I'm glad we got the bottom of this. Maybe we should have been looking at some guy from a college like...Montana. :tdown:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Lions have made it clear that they will be keeping Akers. Akers was given 5 FG attempts tonight and Rugland had zero. Wouldn't mind cutting Tavecchio loose to take a look at him. He's probably be a better cold weather kicker. I wonder if he'll clear waivers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should roll the dice and just cheat, use the 4th down & go for it.
Defenses having to stop our offense one extra down?

Let Masthay kick all the PATs, save a roster spot for an extra player elsewhere and plus Crosby makes way too much.

;)

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe we should roll the dice and just cheat, use the 4th down & go for it.
Defenses having to stop our offense one extra down?

Let Masthay kick all the PATs, save a roster spot for an extra player elsewhere and plus Crosby makes way too much.

;)

Most teams should go for it in many down-and-distance / clock.

4th. and 1 or 2 on the opponent's 35, for instance, with some time on the clock.

1. The odds are making it are as good or better than making the field goal.

2. Missing the field goal has a modest added penalty that failing to make the first down does not...7 yards of field position.

3. Making the first down has added bonuses that making the field goal does not...increasing time of possession and a chance at 7 points during that possession.

I have only one request...please do not put a 7 man front and inverted bone out there. Teams know we don't (can't?) pass out of that formation and sell out on the run. MM should at least once in a preseason game one of these years shift out of this thing and throw, and then shift out of it and run anyway.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams should go for it in many down-and-distance / clock.

4th. and 1 or 2 on the opponent's 35, for instance, with some time on the clock.

1. The odds are making it are as good or better than making the field goal.

League wide over the last 14 years odds of scoring or getting a first down is 60%. Odds of making the FG is also exactly 60%.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be since it could also be the last. No guarantee anybody else gives him a chance.

Given his rock solid performance in warm weather and domes, I guarantee you he wouldn't even clear waivers before someone grabbed him.

12theTruth

Signing a kicker at this stage to me means that Crosby is hanging on by a thread. Tavecchio leg probably too weak. Gonna end up being Ramerez or other free agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby knows he's hang'n on by a thread. Too bad Longwell doesn't want to try out.

H

HardRightEdge

Ramirez was one of my guys coming out of this draft. Big leg. So much for "Sergio's leg isn't weak"
From what I can tell, Ramirez was a top NFL prospect until he had an MCL injury to his kicking leg last season. He came back later in the season, but evidently his leg strength was not up to snuff. If he's fully recovered, we could have our guy.

Playing in the Big Sky Conference, he would not have seen any domes and should have some foul weather experience.

Members online

Latest posts