1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Mason Crosby

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Jul 27, 2013.

1. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +45
    Source: JSOnline.com

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +997
    I'm pulling for Crosby to get it together. The guy is a saint off the field with his work involving Make a Wish for kids in Wisconsin. Someone this good has got to succeed....

• Like Like x 1
  3. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I didn't think we'd see a new kicker. It's going to be a cross your fingers and shut your eyes year when he lines up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,959
    I recall last year that he gave an interview that said he was real sick? And once he got over that, his kicking got better?

5. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    We will find out... pulling for him! (but not to the left or the right!!)

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I think the sickness was all mental.

7. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Kickers score a lot of the points in games. They can be the difference in close games. Mr. Crosby did not have his best season last year. I believe he should compete for his job this season. If he gets beat out at the position, then so be it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,842
    The Green Bay Packers signed K Giorgio Tavecchio on March 26, 2013.

Tavecchio (GEORGE-ee-oh tuh-VECK-ee-oh), a 5-foot-10, 182-pound first-year player out of the University of California, entered the league as a non-drafted free agent with the San Francisco 49ers in May 2012. He played in three preseason games for the 49ers, converting his lone field goal attempt and two extra points. As a collegian, Tavecchio appeared in 46 games during his career for the Golden Bears and finished No. 5 on the school’s all-time scoring list (No. 4 among kickers) with 256 points.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Giorgio-Tavecchio/c9e7fa25-8fd3-4904-aeac-0734620a3a61

■ Kickers Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio each took six attempts from the same distances: 33, 36, 44, 50, 53 and 53 yards. Crosby missed two, from 50 and 53, and Tavecchio missed one, from 53.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-camp-report-friday-at-a-glance-b9962618z1-217193851.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    I merged two threads...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Sorry, but I cannot fathom that some one is "sick" for that long of a portion of the season. Team doctors would have held him out of the games had he been legit sick for that many weeks. He would have had some sort of immune system malfunction and been hospitalized. His "sickness" was all is his skull. I hope the young kid some how pulls off the upset of starting kicker over missin crosby.

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    http://www.billmichaelssports.com/crosbys-cure-the-flu/

Ok..Maybe the flu wasnt to blame for the prior misses..But maybe him laying in bed all day made his mental edge return

12. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Shanksby picked up his 2013 season where he left off in 2012 - wide left and/or right. He was abysmal tonight. It's mental now. He cannot be trusted. We need to bring in another kicker. This Gio kid is too raw for me and his leg isn't strong enough. He clanked a few off the cross bar from just over 50. In those conditions, he should be cruising them through without a doubt. So, we need a kicker. Who's out there?

• Like Like x 1
  13. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    There is no one out there that I have heard of. Going to have to wait until other teams make some cuts or find someone that is selling insurance or something somewhere and get him into camp. This is too good of a team to have such a bad kicking game.

14. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    Watch whomever Buffalo cuts. Rookie Dustin Hopkins or vet Lindell. Brett Maher from Nebraska was cut as well recently. Miami also has Dan Carpenter and rookie caleb sturgis. There will be guys cut so TT better be ready to snag them immediately. I would be fine with Carpenter and mostly fine with Lindell. Hopkins and Sturgis are both rooks with good potential.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Yeah watch the waiver wire. As somebody else said, "ABC, Anyone But Crosby" and Pinocchio Paperleg does not inspire confidence either.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    There is a post about this exact question

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
  18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/141272a8-ebdc-4cc0-8680-dfb9e9a07b3b/?source=fb

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,959
    MM is changing his mind

20. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +45
    Source: JSOnline.com

21. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So how does one kick off the cross bar somehow become "a few off the cross bar?" If necessary, Masthay can do kickoffs like other punters have done.

22. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +87
    Tavecchio was 6 of 7 making field goals with his longest a 53 yarder. His only miss was from 47 yards. His kickoffs were pretty strong also. I do agree we need to cut Crosby and bring in another kicker but Tavecchio isn't a bad option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831
    It sounds like Caleb Sturgis is healthy and kicking well thus Dan Carpenter will be cut by the Dolphins. He has had a good camp and is solid where he should be but isn't a lock from the 50ish area. Inside 50 and he has been very good. I can live with Crosby missing the 50+ kicks but these 35-50 yd kicks he is missing.....now way. Can't do it.

As far as Lindell goes he is in a much closer competition with Hopkins. The word is Hopkins has looked strong and if he can perform in the games he will have a great shot at winning the competition.

Sturgis was a draft pick and isn't going anywhere. After that I would rather have Hopkins, Lindell and then Carpenter. Still, all 3 of these guys are light years ahead of the garbage Crosby is putting out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'm sure Ted Thompson knows what good kickers are available . He will have them come to Green Bay for try out, if he feels the present two kickers in Training camp can't to the job.

25. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +293
    Yikes. This is turning into a serious concern. What's Al Del Greco up to these days?