Mason Crosby

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Seven kickers with a better field-goal percentage in 2012 than Mason Crosbywere available to the Green Bay Packers at the start of free agency this spring. But they stuck with Crosby.

Source: JSOnline.com

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Crosby to get it together. The guy is a saint off the field with his work involving Make a Wish for kids in Wisconsin. Someone this good has got to succeed....

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think we'd see a new kicker. It's going to be a cross your fingers and shut your eyes year when he lines up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall last year that he gave an interview that said he was real sick? And once he got over that, his kicking got better?

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Kickers score a lot of the points in games. They can be the difference in close games. Mr. Crosby did not have his best season last year. I believe he should compete for his job this season. If he gets beat out at the position, then so be it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers signed K Giorgio Tavecchio on March 26, 2013.

Tavecchio (GEORGE-ee-oh tuh-VECK-ee-oh), a 5-foot-10, 182-pound first-year player out of the University of California, entered the league as a non-drafted free agent with the San Francisco 49ers in May 2012. He played in three preseason games for the 49ers, converting his lone field goal attempt and two extra points. As a collegian, Tavecchio appeared in 46 games during his career for the Golden Bears and finished No. 5 on the school’s all-time scoring list (No. 4 among kickers) with 256 points.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Giorgio-Tavecchio/c9e7fa25-8fd3-4904-aeac-0734620a3a61

■ Kickers Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio each took six attempts from the same distances: 33, 36, 44, 50, 53 and 53 yards. Crosby missed two, from 50 and 53, and Tavecchio missed one, from 53.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-camp-report-friday-at-a-glance-b9962618z1-217193851.html

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I recall last year that he gave an interview that said he was real sick? And once he got over that, his kicking got better?

Sorry, but I cannot fathom that some one is "sick" for that long of a portion of the season. Team doctors would have held him out of the games had he been legit sick for that many weeks. He would have had some sort of immune system malfunction and been hospitalized. His "sickness" was all is his skull. I hope the young kid some how pulls off the upset of starting kicker over missin crosby.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.billmichaelssports.com/crosbys-cure-the-flu/

hat’s right, Mason Crosby hasn’t missed a kick since Christmas. Crosby explained to me that it was the flu and being bedridden for 2 straight days over the Christmas holiday that gave him the spring back in his leg.
“Except for getting up to open presents, I was so sick I never go out of bed,” Crosby explained, “I came back (to practice) after a couple of days of doing nothing but laying in bed sick and I don’t know, I just felt a little different and that “spring” is back”.

Ok..Maybe the flu wasnt to blame for the prior misses..But maybe him laying in bed all day made his mental edge return

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shanksby picked up his 2013 season where he left off in 2012 - wide left and/or right. He was abysmal tonight. It's mental now. He cannot be trusted. We need to bring in another kicker. This Gio kid is too raw for me and his leg isn't strong enough. He clanked a few off the cross bar from just over 50. In those conditions, he should be cruising them through without a doubt. So, we need a kicker. Who's out there?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no one out there that I have heard of. Going to have to wait until other teams make some cuts or find someone that is selling insurance or something somewhere and get him into camp. This is too good of a team to have such a bad kicking game.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch whomever Buffalo cuts. Rookie Dustin Hopkins or vet Lindell. Brett Maher from Nebraska was cut as well recently. Miami also has Dan Carpenter and rookie caleb sturgis. There will be guys cut so TT better be ready to snag them immediately. I would be fine with Carpenter and mostly fine with Lindell. Hopkins and Sturgis are both rooks with good potential.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yeah watch the waiver wire. As somebody else said, "ABC, Anyone But Crosby" and Pinocchio Paperleg does not inspire confidence either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://sulia.com/channel/green-bay-packers/f/141272a8-ebdc-4cc0-8680-dfb9e9a07b3b/?source=fb

Well, #Packers K Mason Crosby is on notice. Here's coach Mike McCarthy after Crosby's 3-for-8 Family Night:
"Well, Mason Crosby is competing for a job on our football team, like everyone else. He definitely didn’t take a step in the right direction with his performance. That’s what Family Night’s for. He’ll be evaluated. He’s definitely got to do better than that because that’s not going to cut it."

OP
OP
News Bot

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have a full-fledged kicking battle underway, and it’s not because one guy has been dramatically better than the other. It’s because veteran Mason Crosby has carried over his woes from 2012 into the new season.

Source: JSOnline.com

M

mayo44

This Gio kid is too raw for me and his leg isn't strong enough. He clanked a few off the cross bar from just over 50.

So how does one kick off the cross bar somehow become "a few off the cross bar?" If necessary, Masthay can do kickoffs like other punters have done.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tavecchio was 6 of 7 making field goals with his longest a 53 yarder. His only miss was from 47 yards. His kickoffs were pretty strong also. I do agree we need to cut Crosby and bring in another kicker but Tavecchio isn't a bad option.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Caleb Sturgis is healthy and kicking well thus Dan Carpenter will be cut by the Dolphins. He has had a good camp and is solid where he should be but isn't a lock from the 50ish area. Inside 50 and he has been very good. I can live with Crosby missing the 50+ kicks but these 35-50 yd kicks he is missing.....now way. Can't do it.

As far as Lindell goes he is in a much closer competition with Hopkins. The word is Hopkins has looked strong and if he can perform in the games he will have a great shot at winning the competition.

Sturgis was a draft pick and isn't going anywhere. After that I would rather have Hopkins, Lindell and then Carpenter. Still, all 3 of these guys are light years ahead of the garbage Crosby is putting out there.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Ted Thompson knows what good kickers are available . He will have them come to Green Bay for try out, if he feels the present two kickers in Training camp can't to the job.

Members online

Latest posts