1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mariucci

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by musccy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    He's already become a popluar name for the new HC, however, here are some stats/notes to consider.

Playoff Record
    3-4 (Sherman 2-4)

Regular Season (exclude Detroit)
    57-39 (Sherman 57-39) 72-67 with detroit (5-11, 6-10, 4-7)

Led team to 13-3, 12-4 record w/ Steve Young, until he was hurt, and then he went 4-12, and 6-10, so if you think MS was only good because of Brett, well, Mooch's situation sounds familiar. As Garcia flourished, his record did rebound, though.

Mooch did nothing w/ a Detroit team that some picked to win the division the last 2 years...If you don't like Sherman, why would you hire someone with an even worse NFL head coaching resume?

2. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    agreed - there's gotta be somebody better than that out there.

3. pantherd

pantherd Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Please hire Mike Trgovac, the Panther's Defensive Coordinator! That's all I have to say about that.

4. smlutz

smlutz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Mooch would be a good fit in Green Bay. I am scared if we hire the Eagles offensive coordinator. He's not so great.

5. shanks2122

shanks2122 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mooch is almost the exact same as sherman hes an x's and o's guy and he flourised from the past (holmgren to sherman)

6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I like mooch as an OC, not so much as HC. I like Bates more so as a HC

7. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    whatever position he would get, it would fit well with Brett.

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Mooch has personality at least. That can go a long way.

9. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the reasons Mooch was fired in San Francisco by the prior regime that ran the team into the ground is that Mooch wanted to reward the players for winning the division. He wanted to give out divisional rings. The team said no so he paid for them out of his own pocket and that was considered insubordination.

T.O. also contributed. Mooch even though he suspended Owens was seen as not being able to control him.

Remember Mooch left the Packers to be head coach at the University of California. After a good year Bill Walsh offered him OC with the 49ers and Mooch said no. Then Walsh offered him the head coach of the 49'ers and he accepted that. Mariucci has never been a coordinator.

10. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to hope that Mooch would someday become HC of the Green bay Packers, now I'm not so sure.
    But in his defense he was a victim in SF of Bill Walsh meddaling and he was a victim in Detroit of a historically really Sh**Ty organization that hired a really sh**ty general manager.
    Mooch is a fellow Yooper who QB'd my alma mater to a national championship and in 1992 he gave my oldest son a Packer team poster for his wall so I have an emotional attachment to him.
    I'm just not sure he is the right man to be the Green Bay Packers head coach at this point in time.
    I hope for the best for Mooch and I'm sure he will land on his feet somewhere, I just hope he makes a better decision than the one he made when he took the Lion job.
    I told my wife at the time that he made a terrible mistake.
    Anyone who takes the Detroit Lion HC job is making a terrible mistake unless they get better owners.

11. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    thats not entirely true. Walsh's role was being reduced long before Steve got there...Mariucci was more a victom of DeBartolo's gambling involvment, as was the entire franchise really.

he's a really nice guy and an average coach imo...

12. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You have a point arrow, the 49er's were a franchise in demise due to bad ownership, the Lions have been dismissed for bad ownership since 1957.

13. PackwillBEback

PackwillBEback Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    What are you talkikng about, do you remember when Sapp cheap shot Clifton. Sherman was ready to fight him, he had to be held back.

14. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    agreed packwillBeback...Sherman had some fire...remember the Franks td pass a few years back? You mentioned Sapp...he was FIRED up v. the ravens. He may not have been John Gruden, but he could be pretty animated.

15. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe mooch hears the rumbles about his 'soft' approach and will fix that with his third stint as a HC? Ya never know but its human nature to learn from your mistakes, isnt it?

16. tarkenton10

tarkenton10 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Man, I can't believe you guys want him. I hope you get him. He will do for you what he did for the Lions and niners!! Good luck!!

17. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    how much of an chance was mooch givin in detroit?

18. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mooch was given three years and a bunch of top 10 draft picks and still didn't produce much. I think a lot of the lustre is off Steve and he'll likely have to take a job as a coordinator before he gets another shot as HC.

19. tarkenton10

tarkenton10 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He was suppose to be an offensive guru. They drafted a first round pick for fours years on the offensive side. They drafted Harrington, Jones, Williams, Rogers, and Williams. If he can't produce with all those #1s good luck with him as your HC or OC. I can't wait to see your offense, you can't blame anyone for the talent level on the offensive side of the ball in Detroit. You can blame Mooch an dhis terrible scheme. But don't beleive me hire him and see for yourselves!

20. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right tarkenton10, 5 First rounders including 3 in the top 5 and 4 in the top 10. Real impressive.

21. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I feel he would be comfortable working with Favre, no matter what spot mooch lands on, not necessarily head coach.