Marcus Spears - DE - LSU

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An NFL.com report had a list of the top 32 college prospects and they had Spears ranked 24th ( GB's draft spot ) . Anyone know anything on Spears ?

GO PACK :pray:

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked pretty good againest the Hawkeyes in the capital one bowl. He was getting constant pressure on our QB. I can't say that about James

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spears and James are the highest rated DEs in this year's draft. I doubt James or Spears will fall to the #24 pick. Some have USC's Cody as a 3rd option, but I am not a big fan of either of the Cody boys based on how they where nutralized in the bowl game. From everything I've read, most of the others, Roth, Polluck?, Tuck, Merriman are of the 3-4 variety . Canty, Virgina?, and the Swancutt from Oregon State might be an option in rd 2? A blitzing LB like Blackstock? from Virgina, might be another option, but I don't believe Bates likes to blitz his LBs, so that's probably not a fit either. At 24, it appears GB would be reaching for a DL or LB; the value appears to be at DB. Oregon St. DB, Brown? might be the best pick because his 6'4" frame might convert nicely to Safety. Shazzor and the GT Safety have been 2nd rd picks on most boards I've seen. Once again, GB appears to be just outside the top 1st rd players, and too late to get the steals in rd 2. Who knows who will slide down the board, but it appears that GB will probably be forced to pay 1st rd money to 2nd rd talent @ the 24 pick. I doubt anyone else will trade down w/ them. I'd love to see them in the 1st 5 picks of rd two. Perhaps the Raiders would like GB's 1st rd pick in exchange for Oaklands 2nd rd pick? With all the player movement taking place now, and the Combine in full swing, points of view are bound to change on players, draft picks and team needs. Here's hoping TT can find an opportunity to improve GB and make the most of it.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
That bowl game in which Spears was constantly pressuring your QB might have been a fluke. Everything I hear about Spears is that he's great against the run, but you shouldn't expect more than 8 sacks a year. I think he'll be a solid pro, but never a star. Picking Spears if he fell would likely resemble picking Vonnie Holliday.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything I hear about Spears is that he's great against the run, but you shouldn't expect more than 8 sacks a year.

Well mattresell, considering Kampman has a total of 7 sacks in 3 years with the Packers, Spears sounds like a definite upgrade. I thought he was supposed to go in the middle of the 1st round. Maybe his stock is dropping.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampy is not the second coming of R. White, but do you realize he ranked in the top 10 in tackles for all NFL DL this year?

Members online

Latest posts