Looks like Detroit has a 'keeper' QB

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
The boy is talented ... and durable ... and has shown a remarkable amount of "grit" in the short time he has been playing in the NFL ...

Playing for the Lions will (somewhat) "hinder" his development for a few years, however, barring a major injury Stafford might very well be a true star in a few years ... Just watching him progress will make the Lions an interesting team to watch as soon as next season ...

- That is if the Lions management doesn't have a "brainfart" and accept a trade offer for him, which might happen as soon as in this offseason ...

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think the Matt Millen days are done in Detoilet... a Lions fan friend of mine refers to what's going on as "The Power of the Schwartz". :) Obviously, they're still the Lions but as long as the Fords keep their noses out of football operations, they might have a shot ... remember what he Pack were before Wolf got there and changed the corporate mentality. The ***** keep Stafford upright and I think they're going to be ok in a couple of years.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Matt Millen days are done in Detoilet... a Lions fan friend of mine refers to what's going on as "The Power of the Schwartz". :) Obviously, they're still the Lions but as long as the Fords keep their noses out of football operations, they might have a shot ... remember what he Pack were before Wolf got there and changed the corporate mentality. The ***** keep Stafford upright and I think they're going to be ok in a couple of years.
They will have a decent spot in the upcoming draft to be able to add another star to their team. Kevin Smith is a decent running back as well that many people don't talk much about.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The boy is talented ... and durable ...

He looks like he is going to be good, maybe great. Since he has been injured and out for a few games and looks like he will sit another, his durability is questionable.

He took some huge hits to make plays. But those decisions in part should be included in the durability equation.

:yu:

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he will miss every game against us and avoid the Packers all together for his career?

A joke of course. I think Stafford will have a great career and will be a challange for us for many years to come.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely not ready to be a QB. He has a very strong arm, and sometimes show signs of greatness, but he's clueless... He's an interception machine. He's trying to antecipate routes, but he's got no idea of the speed of the game.

He'll stop doing so many dumb things eventually, and I believe will be a franchise QB for the Lions... But he shouldn't be starting... He's 21.

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely not ready to be a QB. He has a very strong arm, and sometimes show signs of greatness, but he's clueless... He's an interception machine. He's trying to antecipate routes, but he's got no idea of the speed of the game.

He'll stop doing so many dumb things eventually, and I believe will be a franchise QB for the Lions... But he shouldn't be starting... He's 21.

I don't know...had the Lions some playoff hopes, I'd go with Culpepper, but since they're out of the game why not make the kid gain in experience? He's going to have a little bit more INTs at the end of his career but maybe he'll understand the league faster. All you have to do is make sure you don't burn him by hurting his confidence, but he looks pretty confident anyway despite his rookie mistakes. Plus, he knows the team is behind him and won't bench him like a Brady Quinn.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know...had the Lions some playoff hopes, I'd go with Culpepper, but since they're out of the game why not make the kid gain in experience? He's going to have a little bit more INTs at the end of his career but maybe he'll understand the league faster. All you have to do is make sure you don't burn him by hurting his confidence, but he looks pretty confident anyway despite his rookie mistakes. Plus, he knows the team is behind him and won't bench him like a Brady Quinn.
Well, let me refrase...

He's not ready to start at QB for any team... But you're right, he's not going to get ready just by watching, and it's not like the Lions had any playoff hopes to begin with...

In this game, however, he shouldn't have started, not with that sore shoulder...

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Remember Troy Aikman's first year with the Cowbags? RS is correct, it's too bad that he's got to be tossed into the fire like this...some guys turn out ok after taking a beating like that, others... David Carr comes to mind...never recover.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Troy Aikman's first year with the Cowbags? RS is correct, it's too bad that he's got to be tossed into the fire like this...some guys turn out ok after taking a beating like that, others... David Carr comes to mind...never recover.
In Aikman's case supreme talent was built around him. Honestly that team was loaded to the gills with pro bowl caliber talent and they destroyed everyone.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In Aikman's case supreme talent was built around him. Honestly that team was loaded to the gills with pro bowl caliber talent and they destroyed everyone.

Oh for sure. I agree, but go look at that '89 Cowboy season. Aikman was surrounded by talent after the fact to be sure...plus, he had a real coach. My point is that that wasn't always the case. The kid in Detroit needs the time to get the snot kicked out of him, flinging int's all over god's green earth to figure out 'the game', all part of the maturation process. Tom Brady is the polar opposite ... HE has been surrounded by talent from the git-go. Put him in Detroit his rookie year and Tom Brady's out of the league already.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure. I agree, but go look at that '89 Cowboy season. Aikman was surrounded by talent after the fact to be sure...plus, he had a real coach. My point is that that wasn't always the case. The kid in Detroit needs the time to get the snot kicked out of him, flinging int's all over god's green earth to figure out 'the game', all part of the maturation process. Tom Brady is the polar opposite ... HE has been surrounded by talent from the git-go. Put him in Detroit his rookie year and Tom Brady's out of the league already.

I agree with the Tom Brady part somewhat because they never really destroyed people until 2007 and the only reason they made it their first super bowl was the infamous tuck rule.

I think it was their first super bowl.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The last second field goal against the Greatest Show on Turf, right? I was really happy for the Pats that year...but only because I was so tired of hearing how Kurt Warner was a bag boy a few years prior...AND...looking at his wife's spiked hair. The Rams wore me slick fast...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last second field goal against the Greatest Show on Turf, right? I was really happy for the Pats that year...but only because I was so tired of hearing how Kurt Warner was a bag boy a few years prior...AND...looking at his wife's spiked hair. The Rams wore me slick fast...

The thing you have to credit Kurt Warner for is he brought the scruff to almost every single QB in the league now.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, both him and Sanchez didn't even have 20 starts in College... They're essencially College sophomores playing in the NFL. It's quite amazing that they've been able to win some games so far...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, both him and Sanchez didn't even have 20 starts in College... They're essencially College sophomores playing in the NFL. It's quite amazing that they've been able to win some games so far...
If the Lions can actually figure out how to draft as well and load the team with talent on both sides of the ball they could once again become viable in the NFC North.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

No kidding? Holy cats, that one eluded my radar entirely. I really didn't know that - that does indeed make it little more interesting. Sheesh...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Stafford kind of reminds me of a young Farve. I was thinking the same thing during the game. This kid is gonna be a pain in our *** in the future. We went from having the only real QB in our division a year ago, to every team in our division has a franchise QB. Amazing how fast things change in the NFL.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No kidding? Holy cats, that one eluded my radar entirely. I really didn't know that - that does indeed make it little more interesting. Sheesh...
Actually, I was wrong. I took a look into their numbers... Sanchez has 16 starts in USC, and Stafford has 33 at Georgia...

Still, that number is low for a ready NFL QB...

Members online

Latest posts