Looking way ahead: Will Rodgers next contract give GB even better chance at SB

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just reading an article on ESPN that was rehashing an interview of Rodgers from nfl radio I believe. In which he said legacy was really important to him and it would mean a lot to only play for one team. He also said he'll be 40 at end of this contract and he feels today he can keep going at that point.

Now at that point when he's 40 he likely won't command a top dollar QB contract which is likely to be over 50 million per at that point. With Brady signing for 25 million per it seems the rate for a hof on his last deal is roughly 15 million less than what a future hof young QB is. I'm sure Patrick Mahomes will get 40 million a year.

Could that extra salary cap savings coupled with still very good play from Rodgers propel the Packers to the SB. I think it could especially because if Rodgers is surrounded by better talent due to the extra money. I think he could be even better than he ever was. Or at least regain the form he showed when he did have a surplus of elite talent around him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it...sure. If we win a SB in this contract of his I think he'll walk into retirement.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right but I think he needs more than one more to secure the type of legacy he desires

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
next contract? just shoot me. lol

I'm not a Rodgers hater like some, but I do not see him getting another contract here...I just don't believe Gute is the kind of guy to sign a 40+ year old...UNLESS he has failed to find a possible (no guarantee) replacement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're not even into this current contract to begin thinking about the next. And those will likely be extensions or conversions of some sort just to move cap money around.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rodgers will turn 40 during the last year of this current contract. They should have an heir apparent in place by then if they haven't actually moved on already.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he won’t be content with winning “one more”..... if he wins it in the next NFL season that is held (which I doubt will be 2020).
That said... the odds are AGAINST him EVER winning another Super Bowl... they just are...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Of course he won’t be content with winning “one more”..... if he wins it in the next NFL season that is held (which I doubt will be 2020).
That said... the odds are AGAINST him EVER winning another Super Bowl... they just are...
I mean, not to be a stickler, but the odds are against any one human winning a Super Bowl versus the collective odds of the field.

He may not ever win another one, but I can guarantee that Rodgers is thinking in his mind "I'm clearly an all time great talent. I did things in my prime that no other quarterback, as a complete package, has ever been able to do (to that point). I've got the statistics, I've got the highlight reel packages, the only other thing I need is more Super Bowls."

I think at the bare minimum, his mindset is on trying to get three Super Bowl championships. That would put him in rare company as far as rings go. That will cement him permanently into the discussion for one of the greatest to ever do it.

It would take the greatest stretch of football ever played for him to catch Montana in SB's, let alone Brady. But he's going to lay it all out on the line the next few years to get as close as he can.

So like I said, a single Super Bowl championship and 'riding off into the sunset' isn't going to cut it for Rodgers. In my humble opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts