Linebackers in 2010

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lookin at our current crop of linebackers and free agency, who do we keep and who do we cut. I understand we are only three games into a new season with a new defense, but I am of the opinion that Kampman, Barnett and Hawk are not suited for this defense. Question: Can Mathews and/or Poppinga be a starter at LOLB (Kampman's position)? I believe TT should re-sign Bishop and Chillar this off-season.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense, but I'm focusing on the O-line. Linebackers are not a position preventing Green Bay from being a dominant force at the present time.

And, I can't really address linebackers untiil we go thru an entire season to see where we're at.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote=Hauschild;248458]No offense, but I'm focusing on the O-line. Linebackers are not a position preventing Green Bay from being a dominant force at the present time.

I agree with keeping Bishop and Chillar. I think the LBs are the weak spot on the defense and Kampman, Hawk, and Barnett are big salaries that are not the big producers in this new defense and can be replaced with cheaper and equal talent.

The O-line is job one for TT next season, but trading these players or cutting them in Hawks case opens up alot of money (close to 20 million) to get some quality veterans on the O-line. In fact, Kampman is still an impact player in the 4-3 and may entice a nice trade for a offensive tackle. Hawk is not tradable because of his big contract, we just need to cut him. Barnett is player with value and may still prove to be worth keeping by the end of the season. Who knows if he will get back to his old self.

I hate to lose Kampman, I just feel his potential is not being used in the 3-4 and he plays at a much higher level in the 4-3. There are a # teams that would jump at the chance to get Kampman and would be willing to give up something big in players or draft picks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense, but I'm focusing on the O-line. Linebackers are not a position preventing Green Bay from being a dominant force at the present time.

And, I can't really address linebackers untiil we go thru an entire season to see where we're at.
I totally agree. Our defense has played well, actually, but it's too soon to judge. The OL, however, has been a disaster so far. They're progressing, though.

And if I had to bet, I would say TT extends Collins' contract before anyone else's. He has played tremenduosly well. Hasn't been beaten deep for taking chances like he was last year, and we all saw the dropoff when he was out of the game.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hawk and Kampman are both gone next year but the O-Line is the #1 issue they need to address.

Will we see TT next year dip into free agency to get us some good big uglies? Championship caliber teams need to have at least an average or better O-Line in order to go deep in the playoffs.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'll give Barnett a break for few games, the dude is learning how to play on that repaired knee. Granted he doesn't seem to be making any big plays out there yet. New scheme and not a lot of work in the off season in it. I think once he gets some more reps and familiarity with the 3-4 we'll see Barnett's production increase and mistakes go down.

As everybody else said, FIX the O-line TT/MM

Members online

Latest posts