lies, damned lies and statistics -- Twain

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Article about the stats explosion across the NFL.
NFL teams have been working with analytics for a while now — the Packers hired Mike Eayrs as director of research and development in 2001 — but the level of sophistication is just beginning to take off. Aside from the work teams do in their research departments, there now are league-wide databases available to fans and teams alike at websites such as Pro Football Focus, Football Outsiders, Advanced Football Analytics, Stats and CHFF, among others.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../10/11/sorting-nfls-stats-explosion/17124479/

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the whopper of a stat FOX Sports 1 had this morning- "Peyton Manning scores on rushing attempts more often than Geno Smith scores on passing attempts." Of course, that's because Peyton never runs the ball, pretty much ever. I love statistics, I used to be obsessed with them, but I've noticed more and more that writers just twist them whichever way they want in order to make their point.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
How about the whopper of a stat FOX Sports 1 had this morning- "Peyton Manning scores on rushing attempts more often than Geno Smith scores on passing attempts." Of course, that's because Peyton never runs the ball, pretty much ever. I love statistics, I used to be obsessed with them, but I've noticed more and more that writers just twist them whichever way they want in order to make their point.
Agreed, Stats are for show and talking heads. Only one stat matters, did you win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Stats are for show and talking heads. Only one stat matters, did you win.
Yeah, who cares?
They throw all sorts of crap at us during the broadcasts and they make it seem more important than it really is.
I think a lot of those irrelevant stats and number are just there to fill in air time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You only need to know if it's light or dark outside, but things start to get a lot more intriguing when you try to figure out what causes light and dark to happen.

Anything can be used incorrectly. It doesn't make them inherently bad, but just dangerous in a fool's hand. Treat all statistics as you would words coming out of a politicians mouth - be skeptical and do your homework.