1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

lies, damned lies and statistics -- Twain

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Poppa San, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Article about the stats explosion across the NFL.
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../10/11/sorting-nfls-stats-explosion/17124479/

2. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +117
    How about the whopper of a stat FOX Sports 1 had this morning- "Peyton Manning scores on rushing attempts more often than Geno Smith scores on passing attempts." Of course, that's because Peyton never runs the ball, pretty much ever. I love statistics, I used to be obsessed with them, but I've noticed more and more that writers just twist them whichever way they want in order to make their point.

3. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Agreed, Stats are for show and talking heads. Only one stat matters, did you win.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    Yeah, who cares?
    They throw all sorts of crap at us during the broadcasts and they make it seem more important than it really is.
    I think a lot of those irrelevant stats and number are just there to fill in air time.

5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    You only need to know if it's light or dark outside, but things start to get a lot more intriguing when you try to figure out what causes light and dark to happen.

Anything can be used incorrectly. It doesn't make them inherently bad, but just dangerous in a fool's hand. Treat all statistics as you would words coming out of a politicians mouth - be skeptical and do your homework.