Lets talk about the Vikings

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it odd that in a few days we play our beloved cross-border rivals at the Hubert H. Humphrey MetroDump and there's precious little chatter.

1)Must win for both teams to salvage the season. The Vikings are three games behind the Bears, who suddenly look vulnerable.

2)The Packers blew a golden chance to be .500 and need this game badly.

3)Sharper, Longwell et.al, want to prove how stupid the Packers are about letting them leave.

4)Brett has struggled there over the years.

5)Can the rookie guards handle the Williams'?

6)A. Green on turf...gets injured on it.

7)Dual of the league's oldest active QB's.

8)Childress..TT's first choice as new Packers coach...vs. TT's third choice as new Packers coach..MM. Jim Bates was #2.

9)Who has better linebackers...Packers vs. Vikings?

10)Who has a better secondary?

11)Will the Vikings mammoth offensive line control the quicker(and more sacking) Packer d-line?

There...11 questions to get things started.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All great questions net. But please explain #8. I don't doubt that Childress may have been TT's first choice but how do you know this? And if Jim Bates was his second choice and MM his third, why is Bates not here? Clearly he wanted the job!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for number 3 whos f***ing idea was it to let either of them go

They both wanted out. Sharper couldn't have made it any clearer(or harder to keep around) and Longwell wanted a dome.

The team has a ways to go in that we have all but handed three games over to opponents but the chemistry is good and the future is brighter having players that want to be here vs. these guys.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are playing better football than the Vikes other than turnovers. When we don't turn it over we win and if we don't turn it over this week we should win as well.

The Vikes are solid on "D" so Brett needs to be patient and not force things. We had two unforced turnovers this week which were just gifts to Buffalo that cannot happen again.

Other than one stupid play the defense was great against a team similar to the Vikes who are both struggling offensively and I mean really struggling.

I can see a game where we score a TD and like four field goals and that should be enough to win this game.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay will win if they don't have any turnovers. Favre will need to be patient.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you think Sharper was worth $5 million a season? I sure didn't (and still don't). Longwell left because he wanted to kick in a dome.

Thought it was 6 million, and yes Longwell wanting to pad his stats ( warm weather with his bud Biddwell or a dome) but anyways

Everyone was worried about Miamis D and I think the Pack did a pretty good job with them after the few errors at the start of the game..

Here is hoping that Mm and staff took a VERY close look at the way the Pats handled them the other day..

Mistake free football will do wonders for this team, but is it enuff to get them over the dump at the hump?

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it odd that in a few days we play our beloved cross-border rivals at the Hubert H. Humphrey MetroDump and there's precious little chatter.

1)Must win for both teams to salvage the season. The Vikings are three games behind the Bears, who suddenly look vulnerable.

2)The Packers blew a golden chance to be .500 and need this game badly.

3)Sharper, Longwell et.al, want to prove how stupid the Packers are about letting them leave.

4)Brett has struggled there over the years.

5)Can the rookie guards handle the Williams'?

6)A. Green on turf...gets injured on it.

7)Dual of the league's oldest active QB's.

8)Childress..TT's first choice as new Packers coach...vs. TT's third choice as new Packers coach..MM. Jim Bates was #2.

9)Who has better linebackers...Packers vs. Vikings?

10)Who has a better secondary?

11)Will the Vikings mammoth offensive line control the quicker(and more sacking) Packer d-line?

There...11 questions to get things started.

Reminds us of the election today. A lot at stake here, lets hope it goes the Packs way. Come on Pack. Lets show Sharper and Longwell what they left behind. We need to get the last laugh on them. Should be a goodie in the Humpty Dump. I have been in there twice and it is a noise chamber. I hate that place like a case of the flu.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 Actually the last 3 years Brett's had some of his best games there. It's always a great game to be at cause it's getting colse to being half Pack fans already. As long as we don't turn it over I don't see the quenns putting more the 17 points on the board

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay wins this game, they will be in 2nd place in the divsion and hold the tiebreaker over Minnesota. Whether you hate the Pack or love them we all can agree that 9 out of 10 non Packer fans picked GB to finish last in the divsion. 2nd after 9 weeks isn't all that bad so there is hope.

Now when you think about it like that, this game is very important to both teams. Childress definately. He chose Minnesota over Green Bay because he wanted more say in the team via draft and free agency and because he felt Minnesota was the better team. We'll see if he made the right decision in time but if Green Bay finishes ahead of Minnesota this year it'll be a slap in the fact to the Vikings, Viking fans, and Brad Childress. I'm not insulting the Packers but Minnesota had much-much higher expectations than Green Bay this year.

That shows how important this game really is. Don't forget these teams hate each other.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early last year...shortly after Sherman had signed his extension....stories floated out of the Philadelphia beat reporters that TT had made contact with the Eagles about Childress. He wanted to get a leg up on the other teams.

I was burned at the stake for being so ticked at TT, but I read that with my own eyeballs not a month after he had signed Sherman to a six million dollar contract extension. I think the extension was a payoff to Sherman from the Packers to graciously go away. TT wanted Childress...Childress was all set to go to Green Bay but the Vikings were paranoid he WOULD go to Green Bay. Childress was in Minneapolis and was set to come to Green Bay...he was said to be getting his gear ready to go to the airport.
The Vikings came in with a whopper of an offer but he had to say yes right there, and he did. He called TT to say he was staying with the Vikes. One reporter said TT was blown away because he thought he had a deal. So he moved to Bates...and the rest is history.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early last year...shortly after Sherman had signed his extension....stories floated out of the Philadelphia beat reporters that TT had made contact with the Eagles about Childress. He wanted to get a leg up on the other teams.

I was burned at the stake for being so ticked at TT, but I read that with my own eyeballs not a month after he had signed Sherman to a six million dollar contract extension. I think the extension was a payoff to Sherman from the Packers to graciously go away. TT wanted Childress...Childress was all set to go to Green Bay but the Vikings were paranoid he WOULD go to Green Bay. Childress was in Minneapolis and was set to come to Green Bay...he was said to be getting his gear ready to go to the airport.
The Vikings came in with a whopper of an offer but he had to say yes right there, and he did. He called TT to say he was staying with the Vikes. One reporter said TT was blown away because he thought he had a deal. So he moved to Bates...and the rest is history.

Wow. If that's true it's quite a story.

I hate the queens. ******** do I hate them

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

But Yam, the Vikes have nothing but love for you. :rotflmao:

With all of the negative Karma you have on a Packer Forum, you would make a good Vikes or Bears Fan ! :lol:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, buit if TT gave MS 6 mil to go away graciously he's an idiot. MS would have gone away graciously either way and if not....who cares? I don't buy that for a second. TT isn't that stupid.

But my big question is if Bates was the #2 choice and MM #3. Why is MM the head coach. Are you saying Bates TURNED DOWN TT?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I am almost positive that Harlan had to give Sherman the extension??

I am going to look into it more

P.S.

I fully understand that articles state TT did it, but I think just about 2 months or go or so I saw an article stating that TT did not do the extension, that it was all up to Harlan

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I am almost positive that Harlan had to give Sherman the extension??

P.S.

I fully understand that articles state TT did it, but I think just about 2 months or go or so I saw an article stating that TT did not do the extension, that it was all up to Harlan

Nope.....at least not according to Harlan. Ted Thompson had 100% control over the head coach decision, including keeping Sherman for the 2005 season. TT had the authority to fire Sherman as soon as he was hired muchless not extend his contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

P.S.

Nope.....at least not according to Harlan. Ted Thompson had 100% control over the head coach decision, including keeping Sherman for the 2005 season. TT had the authority to fire Sherman as soon as he was hired muchless not extend his contract.

Yeah that is what I always thought, but like I said i saw a report not more then 2 months ago stating something different..

Maybe the report said that Harlan had to give the okay to extend the contract?

But I know the article stated Harlan wa sinvolved somehow with the extension

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Thanks for the info, buit if TT gave MS 6 mil to go away graciously he's an idiot. MS would have gone away graciously either way and if not....who cares? I don't buy that for a second. TT isn't that stupid.

But my big question is if Bates was the #2 choice and MM #3. Why is MM the head coach. Are you saying Bates TURNED DOWN TT?

----

You are starting to see why I was/am ticked at TT. Why on earth would you hand someone 6 million then ashcan them 16 games later? TT simply could have waited, and saved the Packers the money. It either was a payoff or one of the worst corporate decisions ever made by a Packer executive.

The story floating on several websites last year was after Childress turned him down, TT interviewed Bates and they had an agreement. Bates wanted to keep Favre and had called him. TT blew up, as he wanted Favre to retire and even though he had offered Bates the job, he withdrew it. Bates agreed to keep his mouth shut and enjoy his 900K this year. This is on top of the 6 million he gave to Sherman.
Regardless of the media propaganda, the 'insiders' elsewhere said TT wanted Favre to retire so he could evaluate Rodgers. He knew the franchise wasn't going to win this year, so it was best to see if Rodgers was the man.(Though I like Hawk, keep in mind the availability this past draft of Matt Lienart and Jay Cutler). Favre decided to come back. McCarthy basically would do what TT wanted, but saw that Rodgers wasn't ready and Favre was their best option to win this year. Then with public sentiment behind Favre, TT did the oldest trick in the book...he got in front of the Favre parade and led it into town.

This is a composite story of media outlets and message board "insiders" who more often than not are accurate.

I read several of the newspapers down south (La. and Miss.) who routinely had stories on Favre and are more open than the reporting is up here concerning Favre.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks net....I have said all along that TT did not want Favre to return but got my *** jumped everytime I mentioned it. You have a little more credibility on this board than I do (who doesn't?) so maybe people will start listening.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you wish to continue Ted Thompson giving MS a contract extension or why you think it was done Please Do So in a new thread.

Keep on topic. Discuss the Vikings and such..

Edit- Ryan

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

all this is speculation so take it with a grain of salt. anytime someone uses "insiders" or i knew someone who told me... its crap. you can make yourself believe anything, and just because an "insider" said it and you think it makes sense... doesnt make it solid gold truth.

and yared yam gets my poster of the month award for this little gem.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
net said:

all this is speculation so take it with a grain of salt. anytime someone uses "insiders" or i knew someone who told me... its crap. you can make yourself believe anything, and just because an "insider" said it and you think it makes sense... doesnt make it solid gold truth.

and yared yam gets my poster of the month award for this little gem.

It is well known that Childress was TT's #1 choice. Mortenson even reported that GB was considering a move before the end of the season last year. He also reported after Sherman was fired that GB wanted Kirk Ferientz from Iowa whom I would of loved to seen get hired.

With that said I believe Childress stated somewhere that he went to Minnesota because he felt it was the best job on the market.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks net....I have said all along that TT did not want Favre to return but got my *** jumped everytime I mentioned it. You have a little more credibility on this board than I do (who doesn't?) so maybe people will start listening.

I never doubted you.

Members online

Latest posts