Let's give it up for Mike Sherman one last time....

Reaction score
Look, whether you hate the guy or love him, the fact remains the same. In his 6 years of coaching the Packers, he did his best. This man poured his heart and soul into the team, and while the results where not there, he had the respect of his players. That alone is very hard to achieve in today's NFL.

This man was a class act. As evident by his final press conference, he has humor, he has a passion for the game (evident or not), and he has suffered through some tough times to say the least (deaths of his friends and people in the organization). Yet through it all, he showed his character. He was a great family man, and a caring individual who cared for each and everyone of his players. He brought winning records back to Green Bay after Rhodes left. He made good moves and bad moves, but the fact is he gave it his all EACH AND EVERY MINUTE!

Look, you can hate the guy's coaching all you want, but do at least apprechiate the fact this man gave it his all for this organization. He might be overpaid, but he never set the standard for pay coaches recieve. Regradless, he was a humble hardworking man and a class act in his tenure. And, at least for that, lets applaud Mike Sherman one last time as he leaves the Green Bay Packers.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here here!! I agree 100%. Maybe 110% as I don't think he should be leaving. I think the guy probably bleeds green and gold as much as (almost) anyone associated with the Packers.

Good luck Mike Sherman.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'm one of the few on this board that believe he should still be our coach. I think he is perfect for the talent that we have now and I don't believe that TT is gonna find anybody better then him.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mike Sherman is a great man, class act and did a good job for the Packers organization. His shelf life as coach of the team had probably expired though so as much as I'm sad to see him go, I've come around to the idea that it probably was the right decision. I just hope TT is able to get the right guy for the job. I'm impressed with his eye for talent and agree with his approach to building a team through the draft so I'm optimistic, but still concerned given Sherman's history for producing winning teams.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. I had the pleasure of meeting the man once. People can disagree with his coaching style but believe me he is one of the most personable, likable guys out there. He will get another job soon. Probably in Houston. The Green Bay community will miss him. He and his wife were very active in charitable organizations. All coaches lend their names to charity. He truly poured his heart into them, there's a big difference.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah someone once told me that he is just a great individual when they met him face to face. I agree with you DePack, he really did pour his heart into the team. And that makes a huge difference.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely got it in terms of Packer pride and the tradition of being a Packer. He instilled that into the players. He kept the Packer heritage and history alive. T.T. must have someone already in mind prior to the firing. You don't break up with the girlfriend unless you got one on the side. You don't quit your job unless you already have another set up. T.T. already has someone else to step in. We will soon find out who that person is. All I can tell you is MS was a scapegoat. MS did not break up our O-line nor did he replace quality Guards with minimal talent. He also didn't injure all of our starters. He did, keep the team from quitting, and kept us pretty competitive considering Brett was meeting new faces every time there was a huddle. I wish MS the best. My only complaint with MS was his inability to pull the trigger himself as in Bollegmo, Rossley, and our DC from last year.

PackerCoz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what ALL that has been said. You cant punish him for injuries, or main starters on our o-line leaving. He just didn't have enough experienced players who knew the system well. And I gotta tell ya, a 4-12 record with the little bit of what he "did" have to work with, was commendable. Do you all realize that in their first EIGHT losses, we lost by a total of 43 points? That is 5.3 points we lost by, in 66% of ALL of our losses... And with little or no experienced players to boot. I say great job, Mr. Sherman...

I don't know about you, but we have got to have one of the BEST 4-12 teams around... Too bad the head coach has to take the heat for what all else is going wrong...

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The moment that always sticks in my mind is when Sherman stood up to Sapp after that hit on Clifton. That action says a lot about him.
I am not too familiar with the ongoings in the Packer organization, but it seems to me that Sherman is getting a bad rap for one bad season. Looks like the restructuring of the organization has started a bit prematurely.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Miskito said:
The moment that always sticks in my mind is when Sherman stood up to Sapp after that hit on Clifton. That action says a lot about him.

EXCELLENT POINT! Say that he was laid back and easy going if you want, but that act shows the passion and the extent that man is willing to go for his players.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the last half of his press conference.
Mike Sherman is obviously a good, caring human being and an excellent family man.
He was straight forward and sincere while at the same time showing a great sense of humor.
He obviously cares a great deal about the Green Bay Packers and the community of Green Bay and I wish him and his family the best in the future.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never was an expert when it came to Mike on the technical side of things but Mike did seem like a good caring human being who cared deeply about the Pack and for that alone I wish him and his family the best.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aceschnd said:
I think I'm one of the few on this board that believe he should still be our coach. I think he is perfect for the talent that we have now and I don't believe that TT is gonna find anybody better then him.

me too i think he should be given at least 1 more year and if things dont work out with our players back then fire him. im tired of people bashing this man saying he cant coach and he should be fired, because thats bull sh**.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always thought Mike Sherman was a good man. The classy way that he exited is proof of that. I have never doubted his intentions or he commitment to making the Packer Superbowl champs. I agree with TT however, it's time for a change, unfortunately Mike's way got old and he simply couldn't get this team over the hump. Too many losses by big scores in key games were probably the biggest reason for his firing. I'm glad we're making a change, but I admire Mike Sherman for his integrity. I believe that is unparalelled.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Mike Sherman for all that you have done for us fans and the Packers organization, I am so sad to see you leave!!! You are one very kind and classy man...without you as coach I dont feel Brett will be back next year, I sure hope I am wrong...I say we all go to Lambeu and picket...:)

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but we have got to have one of the BEST 4-12 teams around... Too bad the head coach has to take the heat for what all else is going wrong...

I agree with that statement. To bad TT obviously did not. Mike Sherman was a class act and kept this team together, other than the Baltimore game, there was no quit on this team.

It is going to be tough watching as the players that have shown they have the talent to play in the NFL on a weekly basis either are shown the door because we are"going in a different direction, or leave on their own via free agency.

The mass exodus has yet to begin, next year we will be saying "we have one of the youngest 4-12 teams in the NFL, but hey give us a few years because this team has potential" Hello late 70's, early 80's.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, right now just like Lambeau it's just painted dirt.

Good luck Mike, to you and your family, you will be missed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherman's interview with Ron Wolf back in 2000 was anything like today's press conference, I have no problem understanding why Wolf hired him. Sherman's commitment to the Green Bay Packers was beyond question, which is much more than you can say for Mike Holmgren, even though Holmgren had more success as a coach.

Sherman did not bad-mouth Ted Thompson even a little bit, not matter how many opportunities the reporters gave him to do so. He acknowledged that Thompson was in a difficult situation, having to work with a coach who had just been the GM. He also said that it's typical for a GM to want to have his own man for the coaching job.

Sherman was at ease and even began the press conference with a joke, asking any of the reporters if they had their cell phones. (A reference to his mini-blowup at a reporter with a cell phone at a press conference earlier this season.) It will be interesting to see how Sherman does at his next job, because he did pretty good at this one, and he has a lot of years ahead of him.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to Sherman. I always did like the guy. And as someone said, you can't blame him for injuries. What goes around comes around; so watch out tt.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrote "Why I like Mike" back when things didn't look so good. (Not that they look any better right now.) Mike is a class guy, he actually CARES about the Packers and I will miss him. The ovation he got from his players is proof that he had their support. Where ever he goes will be my 2nd favorite team. (needless to say, unless it's the Vikings!!)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ill agree, he tried. I dont knock his effort. his effort just wasnt going to be getting us a championship, which is sad, cuz we had some really good teams in his 6 years.

Instead of NFC central\North titles, we coulda had NF Cconference titles, or possibly a superbowl title, at least maybe a game. Those nfc north titles were won despite sherman, not because of him.

But i wish him the best of luck.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anyone wants to send a card or letter to Mike Sherman you can still send it to:

Mike Sherman C/O Green Bay Packers
1265 Lombardi AVe.
Green Bay, WI 54304

Members online

Latest posts