Leighton Vander Esch vs. Brian Urlacher vs. Karlos Dansby.

D

Deleted member 6794

But it's still going to be used at least 30% of the time, probably closer to 40%.

A guy who could struggle on 30-40% of our lineups might not be the best choice.

I'm not saying that Jackson is that guy or not, but that's what the argument is. Not that only teams who play majority press will care, but how much will it effect them?

According to PFF the league used man coverage on 34.9% of the snaps. I don't have any information about the percentage of press coverage on those plays but the number would have to be reduced even further.

With that being said I understand that if the Packers want to use press coverage on a significant amount of snaps next season and they predict that Jackson will struggle in that area Gutekunst should definitely pass on drafting him.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that.

But it's still going to be used at least 30% of the time, probably closer to 40%.

A guy who could struggle on 30-40% of our lineups might not be the best choice.

I'm not saying that Jackson is that guy or not, but that's what the argument is. Not that only teams who play majority press will care, but how much will it effect them?

This was what I was trying to get at. We may not run man every play, but we know Pettine is a fan and will expect his guys to line up in man. However, Pettine is also known for working toward his player's strengths, so there's that.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Edmunds has a higher ceiling but there aren't any guarantees he will perform up to his potential during his career.
Same can be said for Smith. Linemen are much faster and stronger at the pro level. He may get eaten alive with the way he takes on blocks. Hypothetically speaking yeah sure we can try our best to keep R.Smith in our defensive scheme but an offense can just flip a play, pronounce him as mike linebacker and attack him from there. We saw in the game vs Georgia (Baker Mayfield at helm).

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strictly and statistically looking at Butkus award winners, Roquan Smith has greater odds to be a solid linebacker if not a chance be to pro bowl level.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same can be said for Smith. Linemen are much faster and stronger at the pro level. He may get eaten alive with the way he takes on blocks. Hypothetically speaking yeah sure we can try our best to keep R.Smith in our defensive scheme but an offense can just flip a play, pronounce him as mike linebacker and attack him from there. We saw in the game vs Georgia (Baker Mayfield at helm).

The defense can adjust too?

Roquan isn't going to be asked to take on blocks. That's not his role. He's a good coverage LB with outstanding athleticism. With rare exception, linebackers who are good at taking on blocks are big plodders who suck in coverage.

So don't ask Smith to do stuff he's not good at. He's great at a lot of other stuff. Find where players win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw an interview with Van der Esch. I was impressed. He definitely has good size and he looks fast and seems very motivated. And he seems to be on the upswing of what he may be capable of. Not advocating drafting him in the 1st but if he was still around in the 2nd...or the Alabama linebacker I would not be disappointed. I am still going to believe in The Gute this year. It looks like we should get a very good defensive player in the 1st. Have to see how it drops. I am a little worried that the redskins may be a spoiler for us. Who knows what they will do? Won't rule out a nice slot receiver/punt returner in the 2nd. Or the guard from Texas El Paso. The unfortunate caveat is I really am not involved in checking out college players.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense can adjust too?

Roquan isn't going to be asked to take on blocks. That's not his role. He's a good coverage LB with outstanding athleticism. With rare exception, linebackers who are good at taking on blocks are big plodders who suck in coverage.

So don't ask Smith to do stuff he's not good at. He's great at a lot of other stuff. Find where players win.
Yeah sure he isn't gonna be asked to take on blocks (my point) but its not like blockers or offensives are gonna ignore that fact. :whistling:
All it's gonna take is one good block to take it all the way for players like Ezekiel Elliott or Tarik Cohen. Why not get a guy who can cover and be willing to take on blockers especially in first round? In my eyes, Roquan Smith played similarly to Matt Milano and Telvin Smith coming out of college (both taken in 5th round). He's no Shaizer or Myles Jack.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah sure he isn't gonna be asked to take on blocks (my point) but its not like blockers or offensives are gonna ignore that fact. :whistling:
All it's gonna take is one good block to take it all the way for players like Ezekiel Elliott or Tarik Cohen. Why not get a guy who can cover and be willing to take on blockers especially in first round? In my eyes, Roquan Smith played similarly to Matt Milano and Telvin Smith coming out of college (both taken in 5th round). He's no Shaizer or Myles Jack.

Disagree, PackFan. Telvin Smith was a touch slower and nearly 20 lbs lighter despite being taller. Shazier is a much closer comp. Similar things were said about Shazier coming out:

Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ain't even hating on Roquan. Like I said before in previous drafts, we NEED an athletic ILB. We pick him at 14? Sure, ain't mad. But we can find value athletic cover LBs 2-5 round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ain't even hating on Roquan. Like I said before in previous drafts, we NEED an athletic ILB. We pick him at 14? Sure, ain't mad. But we can find value athletic cover LBs 2-5 round.

That is fair.

I've internally debated who I would rather have, Smith or Landry. I know, intellectually, that Landry is the smart answer. Elite edge prospects don't fall. Good linebackers can be found later. But I am still drawn to Smith... I can't help. I just love his game and his fit in a Mike Pettine defense.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree, PackFan. Telvin Smith was a touch slower and nearly 20 lbs lighter despite being taller. Shazier is a much closer comp. Similar things were said about Shazier coming out:
Not even close tho. Shaizer ran a 4.38 and had 42 vert. Shaizer's college tape showed willingness and toughness to take on blocks. Some compare Roquan to Lavonte David and Deion Jones. Two of whom I had graded highly and saw grit. Milano looked like Smith at times IMO and I wanted him in last years draft. I just don't feel the same about Roquan but hope proves me wrong.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is fair.

I've internally debated who I would rather have, Smith or Landry. I know, intellectually, that Landry is the smart answer. Elite edge prospects don't fall. Good linebackers can be found later. But I am still drawn to Smith... I can't help. I just love his game and his fit in a Mike Pettine defense.
That's crazy lol. Idk man.. I'm just not drawn to Smith like I am with others linebackers I have looked at before. Like I watch his tape and I'm like woah hes pretty good.
Then players like Myles Jack who... college tape wise Takes on linemen and gets a tackle, gets tasked to cover slot WRs, instinctively sniffs out run plays and plays sideline to sideline.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, intellectually, that Landry is the smart answer. Elite edge prospects don't fall.
Definitely, edge rushers are hard to find. Players like Bruce Smith and Reggie White are once in a lifetime. And if you're super lucky you hit a John Randle.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not even close tho. Shaizer ran a 4.38 and had 42 vert. Shaizer's college tape showed willingness and toughness to take on blocks. Some compare Roquan to Lavonte David and Deion Jones. Two of whom I had graded highly and saw grit. Milano looked like Smith at times IMO and I wanted him in last years draft. I just don't feel the same about Roquan but hope proves me wrong.

I think it's a little unfair to compare Shazier's pro day forty to Smith's combine, but he probably is a little faster. I think they're similar, but not the same. As prospects, Shazier is probably a little tougher at the POA and Smith is probably a little better in coverage.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A+ conversation guys.

You both make really good points.

I would prefer to take Harold Landry and then a guy like Fred Warner in the 3-4th round. But I wouldn't be mad at Smith in the 1st either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A+ conversation guys.

You both make really good points.

I would prefer to take Harold Landry and then a guy like Fred Warner in the 3-4th round. But I wouldn't be mad at Smith in the 1st either.

This feels like the right answer, but the heart wants what it wants.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone athletic like Fred Warner would definitely be a good pick in later rounds. That speedy/athletic middle linebacker that we never got from Ted.