Leighton Vander Esch vs. Brian Urlacher vs. Karlos Dansby.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to make a post because a lot of people doubt that LVE is similar to Urlacher. I've seen so many Packer fans work themselves into a panic at the slight possibility of drafting Roquan at #14, but scoff at taking LVE at the same position going as far to say he's not as athletic. Let's take a look at a few things:

Brian Urlacher

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 258
Arm: 33"
40 time: 4.57-4.68
Vert: 34"
Broad: 122"
3-Cone: 6.94 seconds
Bench: 27 reps

Leighton Vander Esch

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 258
Arm: 33 7/8"
40 time: 4.65
Vert: 39"
Broad: 124"
3-Cone: 6.88 seconds
Bench: 20 reps

Now, I get that combine results aren't everything, but he tested better at all the explosiveness tests with a better 3-cone, vertical, and broad jump. To back these stats up, multiple scouts have compared LVE to Urlacher and a young Karlos Dansby. For reference:

Karlos Dansby

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 251
40 time: 4.58-4.69
Vert: 35"
3-Cone: 7.48 seconds
Bench: 15 reps

As you can see, Dansby was an elite player with a pretty bad 3-cone. The notion that LVE is not an athlete is absolutely false. He's absolutely comparable to these first ballot hall of famers when it comes to measurements. Again, measurements aren't everything, but they give you an idea of what kind of athlete a player is. If you throw on tape of LVE, such as his game vs. Oregon this year, he stands out in coverage and crashing the line to make stops. I know I've mentioned it before, but the Packers are high on the kid as well and that means they are at least seeing some of what I'm seeing.

Now, I want to touch on this obsession with Roquan. As I've said in the past, I'm a die-hard Georgia Bulldog fan and I've watched every single game Roquan has played in. I love him, but he absolutely gets wiped out in the second level. I've posted a video detailing how bad he can be wiped out of a play by pulling guards and tackles and this was at the college level. He could put on weight and gain strength, but his ideal fit is a WLB. Most teams do not spend money or high draft picks on WLBs. It's not the most important position and draft capital is better spent on key positions such as pass rusher, corner, safety, and mike. If you haven't already, take a moment to watch the video below to see exactly what I'm talking about:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And since this is a LVE thread, here's his tape vs. Oregon:

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is saying that LVE isn't athletic. It's obvious he is. I just don't think he knows how to use it well. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't.

He still struggles taking on blocks (most LB's do). His instincts are lacking. I saw a lot of Boise blitzing him and him doing little with it. He's a plus athlete, good player, lot of potential. But he's not freaking Urlacher. Urlacher was tough as hell, smart as hell, and could zone drop 30 yards and still cover a WR. It's not fair to compare LVE to him. Dansby is fine, but not Urlacher. The only LB that I would dare compare to Urlacher is Edmunds. And I still wouldn't do that...but if you're worried Roquan taking on blocks, then you had better be just as worried about LVE because he's worse at it.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition Smith excels in coverage while Vander Esch still has to improve in that area. I agree with JJ that there's no reason to compare him to Urlacher at that point in his career by any means.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year about 20 WRs come out that have better numbers than Jerry Rice. Most do not have similar production like Jerry Rice.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is saying that LVE isn't athletic. It's obvious he is. I just don't think he knows how to use it well. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't.

He still struggles taking on blocks (most LB's do). His instincts are lacking. I saw a lot of Boise blitzing him and him doing little with it. He's a plus athlete, good player, lot of potential. But he's not freaking Urlacher. Urlacher was tough as hell, smart as hell, and could zone drop 30 yards and still cover a WR. It's not fair to compare LVE to him. Dansby is fine, but not Urlacher. The only LB that I would dare compare to Urlacher is Edmunds. And I still wouldn't do that...but if you're worried Roquan taking on blocks, then you had better be just as worried about LVE because he's worse at it.

I don't know man, a lot of scouts think LVE has the best instincts of any ILB in the draft. If we're talking about Edmunds, he's a giant project compared to Vander Esch so I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here. He's easily the most raw ILB prospect in this draft way more so than LVE.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know man, a lot of scouts think LVE has the best instincts of any ILB in the draft. If we're talking about Edmunds, he's a giant project compared to Vander Esch so I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here. He's easily the most raw ILB prospect in this draft way more so than LVE.

Which scouts? Because they're wrong. Flat. Out. Wrong.

Better instincts than Joseph Jewell? Than Smith? Bah.

Edmunds is raw, but his insincts are good and he's a better player than LVE. Without a doubt. And I like LVE. He's LB3 for me.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which scouts? Because they're wrong. Flat. Out. Wrong.

Better instincts than Joseph Jewell? Than Smith? Bah.

Edmunds is raw, but his insincts are good and he's a better player than LVE. Without a doubt. And I like LVE. He's LB3 for me.

Same guy explains Edmunds lack of instincts:

As far as scouts, they're not always named, but here's a few quotes, the first is Matt Miller:

"A junior entry into the draft class, Leighton Vander Esch currently sits at No. 50 overall on my big board. He's an instinctive, athletic linebacker with the range to lock down the run game outside the hash marks and to drop into zone coverage from the middle of the field. He's a heat-seeking missile against the run, too. Vander Esch should be in play early in Round 2 for teams like New England or Miami that need an upgrade at linebacker."

"Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high"

"Vander Esch has scouts buzzing about his skills on the field which include good athleticism, sure tackling, great instincts, tenacity, and motor, as well as impressive measurables and size. Vander Esch excels at patrolling the LOS and limiting opponents run production and impact. Scouts likely see all the physical skills at the position they covet as well as key intangibles like instincts, leadership, and vision and some versatility."

"Despite being a one year starter at Boise State, Leighton Vander Esch has captivated a lot of NFL decision makers. The 6’4”, 240 pound backer has really incredible speed and instincts. He could improve his physicality and tries to out run blocks rather than work through them. However, with all his talent and a name like a James Bond villain; teams will really like him."

Here's some links too:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3...er-esch-boise-state-linebacker-nfl-draft-2018

Here's PFF comparing him to Chad Greenway who went 17th overall and he destroys him in all the measurable:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-leighton-vander-esch-the-next-chad-greenway

Head over to reddit.com/r/nfl_draft and you're see a ton of praise as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/81o43b/leighton_vander_esch_the_unofficial_scouting/

The Packers reportedly love the kid which mean their scouting department does, but I guess all these player comparisons, scouting quotes, and analytics are all wrong. When you have someone compared to players like Greenway, Kuechly, and Dansby(leaving out Urlacher) it's hard not to like the player. Who wouldn't want any of those guys on your team and which one of those players wouldn't be worth it at #14?

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same guy explains Edmunds instincts:

As far as scouts, they're not always named, but here's a few quotes, the first is Matt Miller:

"A junior entry into the draft class, Leighton Vander Esch currently sits at No. 50 overall on my big board. He's an instinctive, athletic linebacker with the range to lock down the run game outside the hash marks and to drop into zone coverage from the middle of the field. He's a heat-seeking missile against the run, too. Vander Esch should be in play early in Round 2 for teams like New England or Miami that need an upgrade at linebacker."

"Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high"

"Vander Esch has scouts buzzing about his skills on the field which include good athleticism, sure tackling, great instincts, tenacity, and motor, as well as impressive measurables and size. Vander Esch excels at patrolling the LOS and limiting opponents run production and impact. Scouts likely see all the physical skills at the position they covet as well as key intangibles like instincts, leadership, and vision and some versatility."

"Despite being a one year starter at Boise State, Leighton Vander Esch has captivated a lot of NFL decision makers. The 6’4”, 240 pound backer has really incredible speed and instincts. He could improve his physicality and tries to out run blocks rather than work through them. However, with all his talent and a name like a James Bond villain; teams will really like him."

Here's some links too:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3...er-esch-boise-state-linebacker-nfl-draft-2018

Here's PFF comparing him to Chad Greenway who went 17th overall and he destroys him in all the measurable:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-leighton-vander-esch-the-next-chad-greenway

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/81o43b/leighton_vander_esch_the_unofficial_scouting/

The Packers reportedly love the kid which mean their scouting department does, but I guess all these player comparisons, scouting quotes, and analytics are all wrong.
You do like I do. Really like a kid and then go a bit beyond in discussions. They say he is instinctive, but nobody says he is the most instinctive.

One of your quotes even call him a round 2 prospect.

He looks like a great prospect and I hope we add him. But 14 is too early. I think there will be better prospects at 14.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do like I do. Really like a kid and then go a bit beyond in discussions. They say he is instinctive, but nobody says he is the most instinctive.

One of your quotes even call him a round 2 prospect.

He looks like a great prospect and I hope we add him. But 14 is too early. I think there will be better prospects at 14.

I can respect that, to be honest, some of the quotes were from earlier in the year before the combine even. Right now, no one expects him to slip past the Steelers and he'll definitely go in the first. I might be too high on him, but I also don't think what I've been saying is that much of a stretch. He's got the measurables, he's got the tape, and he's got teams already fawning over him. When it all boils down, we're all amateur scouts and the people getting paid will make the decisions. I guess I didn't like how the team didn't value a top MLB for years and I'd like to change that and get a quarterback on defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can respect that, to be honest, some of the quotes were from earlier in the year before the combine even. Right now, no one expects him to slip past the Steelers and he'll definitely go in the first. I might be too high on him, but I also don't think what I've been saying is that much of a stretch. He's got the measurables, he's got the tape, and he's got teams already fawning over him. When it all boils down, we're all amateur scouts and the people getting paid will make the decisions. I guess I didn't like how the team didn't value a top MLB for years and I'd like to change that and get a quarterback on defense.
I hear you. We have not had a dominant ILB since Nitschke. Thought Hawk would be that guy but he wasnt. He had numbers a little better than than LVE as well except for broad jump and one of the shuttles.

Just saw a list where LVE was #16. So it is not entirely outlandish that the packers also value him that highly.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same guy explains Edmunds lack of instincts:

Here's some links too:

The Packers reportedly love the kid which mean their scouting department does, but I guess all these player comparisons, scouting quotes, and analytics are all wrong. When you have someone compared to players like Greenway, Kuechly, and Dansby(leaving out Urlacher) it's hard not to like the player. Who wouldn't want any of those guys on your team and which one of those players wouldn't be worth it at #14?

I'm sorry, but quotes from Reddit, SBNation, that ain't gonna do it for me. Please note most of those said instinctive, none of them said most instinctive. I can find a great multitude of plays where he blitzer straight into blockers and takes himself out of the play. He doesn't have a great feel for what he's doing, he's just going on his athletic ability. Player comparisons in general are bunk that generates clicks. I don't pay attention to them.

Again, I like LVE. I think he's the clearcut LB3. He's not worth the 14th pick, at all.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but quotes from Reddit, SBNation, that ain't gonna do it for me. Please note most of those said instinctive, none of them said most instinctive. I can find a great multitude of plays where he blitzer straight into blockers and takes himself out of the play. He doesn't have a great feel for what he's doing, he's just going on his athletic ability. Player comparisons in general are bunk that generates clicks. I don't pay attention to them.

Again, I like LVE. I think he's the clearcut LB3. He's not worth the 14th pick, at all.

I hate to break it to you man, but it's rare that you'll see a scout's name or team when looking at quotes. You'll notice all the draft profiles mention a region, but not a team because they don't want to tip their hand. The quotes were mostly from professional scouts, not from redditors and such. Also, the point of those quotes was to show you that no one says he lacks instincts which is clearly stated in your post above. Even if it was just random redditors, I don't know what makes your opinion more valid than theirs.

Again, I'm a Georgia fan who watched every game, but the hype for Roquan is unreal right now. I've watched him get washed out of a lot of plays especially against bigger competition such as Oklahoma and Bama, and that's exactly what will happen to him against elite athletes at the next level until he learns better technique. To me, I just don't get how a team can value a 236lb, sideline to sideline, WLB over a solid Mike. If you were going to give me Kuechly or Deion Jones, I'll take Kuechly every time. Roquan might be the perfect fit for a team needing a sideline to sideline WLB, but a lot of teams don't value a WLB that high in the draft. There are a lot of reports that have Roquan slipping for that exact reason. He's not the strongest in the middle of the field and that was our biggest weakness last year. I also don't know where the idea of Roquan being an elite coverage linebacker came from, he has the ability thanks to his athleticism to cover running backs out of the backfield, but he struggled covering tight ends.

Every single issue you listed with LVE is also listed with Roquan:

• Is a little undersized
  • Has to stay one step ahead of the blocking scheme or he can be engulfed by size
  • Will need to diagnose and trigger just a hair faster on the next level
  • Occasionally comes in hot rather than breaking down in space as a tackler
  • Will need more schooling on hand work when taking on blocks
  • Needs to do a better job of recognizing oncoming blocker in his periphery
  • Gets touched up by second level traffic and needs to continue to improve finding more efficient routes to the ball
I know this sounds like I hate Roquan, but I don't. I just feel he's more like a Telvin Smith/Deion Jones who were 2nd and 5th rounders. I much rather a 250+lb, 6'4" linebacker with a solid 3-cone and long arms to develop when shedding blocks rather than someone who's 6'1"/236lbs. At this point, we'll just agree to disagree, but I really do think people are too high on Roquan and not high enough on LVE.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would argue that it's not the particular WILL or MIKE position that's more or less valuable in the league, it's the actual skills that the player possesses.

This league revolves around passing at the moment. Passers are the most important players on the field. The guys that attack them or protect them are also premium. Those that guard pass catchers are valuable, as are those that catch passes. There's a divide between players/positions with those skills and players/positions that are more involved in fueling/stopping the running game. I'm not trying to get into an argument about the importance of a running game, I'm just following the capital investment (money/picks) of NFL teams and being realistic about what it says.

Thus I think it's wrong to say that LVE is more valuable than Smith because he's a MIKE and Smith is a WILL. A linebacker is more or less valuable based on his ability to affect the passing game as a cover player or pass rusher role player. Based on that criteria, both players are high value linebackers, however I give an easy edge to Smith.

LVE is strong in coverage for a linebacker, Smith is in my opinion the best cover linebacker in this class.

LVE has some traits that should make him an effective blitzer and contributor to a pass rush, Smith is a terrorizing A gap rusher due to his explosiveness-- he got to the QB 7 times last year.

Yes, Smith will get swallowed if you ask him to stack and shed. He needs to be the guy kept clean so he can make plays. I'm totally fine with that. Martinez and/or Ryan can do the dirty work. Vander Esch is bigger and has a bigger frame, but he likewise has some issues getting washed.

I would love Smith at #14 and be fine with LVE. They're both good prospects. But the former is easily better in my view and I'm guessing there are going to be multiple players on the board that I prefer to Vander Esch. That said, he's an excellent LB prospect in his own right.

One theory-- I think part of this is fueled by the fact that Smith wasn't able to have a full workout. Had he blown up the combine as I'm sure he would have, I doubt we're having this conversation.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue that it's not the particular WILL or MIKE position that's more or less valuable in the league, it's the actual skills that the player possesses.

This league revolves around passing at the moment. Passers are the most important players on the field. The guys that attack them or protect them are also premium. Those that guard pass catchers are valuable, as are those that catch passes. There's a divide between players/positions with those skills and players/positions that are more involved in fueling/stopping the running game. I'm not trying to get into an argument about the importance of a running game, I'm just following the capital investment (money/picks) of NFL teams and being realistic about what it says.

Thus I think it's wrong to say that LVE is more valuable than Smith because he's a MIKE and Smith is a WILL. A linebacker is more or less valuable based on his ability to affect the passing game as a cover player or pass rusher role player. Based on that criteria, both players are high value linebackers, however I give an easy edge to Smith.

LVE is strong in coverage for a linebacker, Smith is in my opinion the best cover linebacker in this class.

LVE has some traits that should make him an effective blitzer and contributor to a pass rush, Smith is a terrorizing A gap rusher due to his explosiveness-- he got to the QB 7 times last year.

Yes, Smith will get swallowed if you ask him to stack and shed. He needs to be the guy kept clean so he can make plays. I'm totally fine with that. Martinez and/or Ryan can do the dirty work. Vander Esch is bigger and has a bigger frame, but he likewise has some issues getting washed.

I would love Smith at #14 and be fine with LVE. They're both good prospects. But the former is easily better in my view and I'm guessing there are going to be multiple players on the board that I prefer to Vander Esch. That said, he's an excellent LB prospect in his own right.

One theory-- I think part of this is fueled by the fact that Smith wasn't able to have a full workout. Had he blown up the combine as I'm sure he would have, I doubt we're having this conversation.

This is one thing that sucks from a scouting prospective, Roquan didn't do any testing at their pro-day. I'd love to compare him to others, but it's also understandable seeing how his draft stock is so high. Anything he does could only hurt his stock.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is one thing that sucks from a scouting prospective, Roquan didn't do any testing at their pro-day. I'd love to compare him to others, but it's also understandable seeing how his draft stock is so high. Anything he does could only hurt his stock.

Yeah I would have loved to see the numbers. Most people I follow on the draft expects him to blow the doors off. The 4.51 at 236 was a good start. I was intrigued most to see the agility numbers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone agrees that Vander Esch is a talented prospect. In my opinion selecting him at #14 would be a reach though.

It's true that Edmunds is extremely raw but there's no doubt in my mind that he presents the player with the highest ceiling among the group.

To me, I just don't get how a team can value a 236lb, sideline to sideline, WLB over a solid Mike. If you were going to give me Kuechly or Deion Jones, I'll take Kuechly every time. Roquan might be the perfect fit for a team needing a sideline to sideline WLB, but a lot of teams don't value a WLB that high in the draft. There are a lot of reports that have Roquan slipping for that exact reason. He's not the strongest in the middle of the field and that was our biggest weakness last year. I also don't know where the idea of Roquan being an elite coverage linebacker came from, he has the ability thanks to his athleticism to cover running backs out of the backfield, but he struggled covering tight ends.

Teams value a weak side linebacker capable of covering sideline to sideline because offenses primarily throw the ball while lining up with three plus receivers these days. The Packers definitely lacked a player like that last season while Martinez is at least adequate lining up in the other spot.

While the team has more pressing needs to address at #14 Smith or Edmunds would present intriguing options at that point.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to get Edmunds or Smith first round and a good CB second, or a top CB or Derwin James first round and somehow get Vander Esch in the second, although if a top TE is there that would be nice.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Roquan Smith would be a disaster. He runs around blocks and gets crushed when he has to take on a blocker. He also loses balance when he tackles so he would be dragged for first downs repeatedly. LVE simply doesn't have the speed to cover a back or TE. While he has the quickness to play well around the line of scrimmage, I would rather have Carter from Georgia or even Jacobs from the Badgers. Both of those guys have the speed to be a complete LB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Roquan Smith would be a disaster. He runs around blocks and gets crushed when he has to take on a blocker. He also loses balance when he tackles so he would be dragged for first downs repeatedly.

Wow, I definitely didn't expect anyone to expect Smith turning into a disaster at the pro level.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Roquan Smith would be a disaster. He runs around blocks and gets crushed when he has to take on a blocker. He also loses balance when he tackles so he would be dragged for first downs repeatedly. LVE simply doesn't have the speed to cover a back or TE. While he has the quickness to play well around the line of scrimmage, I would rather have Carter from Georgia or even Jacobs from the Badgers. Both of those guys have the speed to be a complete LB.
You can’t be the best LB in the SEC and be a disaster, LVE has good speed and size for the position. Carter is an outside LB and I need to study Jacobs, but I don’t think he’s in the same class as Smith, LVE, or Edmunds.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I rather have Shaquem Griffin than Roquan Smith. No hand or two hands. Griffin is the most instinctive LB in this years draft. Griffin would have a place on our defense, heck many of our linebackers played with one hand ;)

Some people forget that Urlacher was an athletic safety that grew into the role (and body) of a linebacker at UNM.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I have to say, I find it a little funny that people keep citing some form of "avoids blocks" as a negative for a player whose job and role in college (and what his job and role will be in the NFL) was to avoid blocks and make plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

Members online

Latest posts