Latest news out of Green Bay concerning Free agents

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the sport pages of the Green Bay Press-Gazette by Rob Demovsky- P.G. sports writer dated Tues. April 19, 2005. Quote:"Back up Quarterback Craig Nall signed his one year , restricted contract on Monday. he will have a base salary of $656,000 if he makes the team. Last season Nall appeared in five games and completed 23 out of 33 passes for 314 yards and four touchdowns. he had a passer rating of 139.4. Nall is expected to compete for a back up job with J.T. O'Sullivan, another restricted free agent who will sign with the Packers" unquote. On Aaron Kampmans' status with the Packer . Quoting Rob Demovsky again. Quote " The Packers have until Wednesday night to match the one year offer sheet to believed to be worth $1.2 million. The Packers placed the lowest restricted free agent tender Kampman, a one year $656,000 offer. That meant another team would have to give up fifth round draft choice---if the Packers decided not to match the offer. Because the Packers have approximately $6 million in cap space, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't match the Vikings' offer unless they don't believe Kampman is a good fit in defensive coordinator Jim Bates' scheme." unquote.---In my humble opinion., I believe they will sign Aaron Kampman. I just can't see the Packers letting Aaron go over to the Vikings. He is improving young D.E. and Packers have already lost too many experienced defensive players. This is Ted Thompson call, and he will have already determined if Aaron is worth the $1.2, which the Packer have in their $6 M salary cap or let him go to the Vikings.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And, I see NO PONDERINGS about whether they pan on cutting Hunt, once Kampman re-signs.... Curious that.. no one is mentioning anything at all like that.... Hmmmmmm!

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Done deal.

Silverstein - Journal/Sentinel
April 19, 2005

The Green Bay Packers' interest in defensive end Aaron Kampman is so strong that they appear set not only to match the offer he received from the Minnesota Vikings but to renegotiate it and turn it into a long-term deal, according to a National Football League source. According to the source, there's little doubt the Packers will match the offer and Kampman will remain with the team.

OP
OP
P

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez. About the only thing I have heard that Hunt will be in Packer training camp. Ted Thompson has said everybody has to earn his spot on the roster. . There is a possibility that Jim Bates may switch him to another position in the defense. If He doesn't cut it, he will be cut. This Hunts last chance!

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Looking to Re-sign Navies - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:01:33 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers have had recent discussions with free agent LB Hannibal Navies, one of their own free agents. A deal could be worked out before the end of the week.

O man....

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
Packers | Looking to Re-sign Navies - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:01:33 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers have had recent discussions with free agent LB Hannibal Navies, one of their own free agents. A deal could be worked out before the end of the week.

O man....

I hope its only a 1 year deal. If he's starting...damn he better not start. Did anyone honestly see him make one good play last year?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously - Did anyone go back and look at his STATS for the year compared to all others?

=================================================

------- 2004 Updated Bio

Started for the second consecutive year at the 'Buck' (strong-side) linebacker position. The largest of the three starters at 249 pounds, Head Coach Mike Sherman called him one of team's most underrated players.

Played in 15 regular-season games, making 14 starts, though he had suffered a "debilitating shoulder injury" in the opener.
Also started NFC Wild Card playoff contest with Minnesota (Jan. 9). Was made inactive for Monday night game with Tennessee (Oct. 11) to help rest shoulder. Finished sixth on the club with 73 tackles (49 solo), including one-half sack. Also posted two stops covering kicks. Led the Packers in stops in season-opening victory at Carolina with 12 tackles (seven solo), including a shared sack of Jake Delhomme. On the Panthers' first drive, stopped RB Stephen Davis for a 1-yard loss after coming unblocked from the left side, forcing Carolina into a long-yardage situation and, eventually, leading to a punt. In the third quarter, came up the middle past center Jeff Mitchell to drop Delhomme for a loss on a third-and-long play, splitting the sack with Mark Roman and forcing the Panthers to punt.

Did suffer left shoulder injury in Carolina contest that would bother him for much of the year and require offseason surgery (Jan. 14, 2005).

Made four stops against Chicago (Sept. 19). At Indianapolis (Sept. 26), came away with three tackles (all solo), including a stop on third-and-short, positioning himself at the line of scrimmage and pushing RB Edgerrin James into his own backfield, leading to a punt on the next play. Saw limited action vs. the N.Y. Giants (Oct. 3) after he aggravated his injured shoulder early in the game.

After resting the shoulder against Tennessee (Oct. 11), he returned to start at Detroit (Oct. 17), making five stops as Green Bay limited the Lions to only 125 net yards, including 33 on 16 rushing attempts (2.1 avg.). Also, while in one-on-one coverage, broke up a probable touchdown pass to Lions TE Stephen Alexander that could have let Detroit back into the game.

Followed up against Dallas (Oct. 24) with three solo stops. Made six tackles (five solo) in victory at Washington (Oct. 31). Returned from bye week rest to contribute four stops (three solo) against Minnesota (Nov. 14). Recorded six tackles in each of the next two games, at Houston (Nov. 21), vs. St. Louis (Nov. 29) and at Philadelphia (Dec. 5). Stopped RB Brian Westbrook for a 2-yard loss in the third quarter of Eagles contest. Made four tackles (three solo), then had three stops vs. Jacksonville (Dec. 19). Was a bright spot on defense for the Packers in division-clinching win at Minnesota (Dec. 24), leading the team with 11 tackles (nine solo). In the third quarter, pulled down TE Jermaine Wiggins on a reception for a loss of 6 yards.

Started at Chicago (Jan. 2), but did not record any tackles. Took only four snaps in the ballgame as he was rested by the coaching staff. Contributed six stops vs. Minnesota in NFC Wild Card playoff game (Jan. 9), along with breaking up one pass. Underwent left shoulder arthroscopic surgery Jan. 14, 2005.

===============================================

I think everyone oughta step back a minute on this one.
The guy was injured, similarly to Gravedigger (torn bicep) and even though he was hurt still stuck it out and contributed greatly.....

Ask yourselves - had he played in the MNF game - do you think we would have been beaten so badly?

He's a Packer, guys! Face it, accept it, and applaud it! He's earned it!

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Navies has the same type of injury Holiday had. Me thinks it's an injury that will bother him the rest of his career? Hard to be an effective LB w/ a busted shoulder. Likewise, I'm sure the Thompson signing was for less than what Navies would have cost them. Still, he did have a very good game before the injury and if healed, could provide some good depth @ LB for the right price.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he can get the proper therapy - at my age, I try to work out in the gym as often as possible - it makes everything easier...

With Navies doing what he does with an injury like that (which is public knowledge) and going up against other players who will abuse the privilege, so to speak - You really have to be prepared.... and that's way moreso than in just about any other situation. Looking at the stats and to see him being last year's Sixth man on the Roster in totem pole ratings.... Well, I think he stood up for himself pretty damn good. Is he done for the NFL? Good question - one hates to see it end that way for any player...

But, he'll always be a Packer in my book!
As they say - He dun good!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping the Packers would sign Raynoch Thompson after the Cardinals cut him. I don't think he's as good as Barnett or Diggs, but I think he's better than Naives. If we draft a better LB, Thompson provides good backup depth. If we don't draft a good LB, I think Thompson is better than Naives as a starter.

I'm not too concerned about his injury last season. That's only part of the reason his stats were down last year. He ended up in Dennis Green's doghouse and Green wouldn't start him and actually had him inactive a few games even though he was recovered from his injury. Other good players like Pete Kendall ended up in Greens doghouse last year too and got cut, but ended up starting for the Jets who made the playoffs. Dennis Green has a chip on his shoulder regarding some players.

I think Thompson is a good signing. He's only 27 too, so he's still young enough to turn it around from the down year he had last year.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all the competition on defense this year is key. Right now there's 11 LB's on the roster. That includes 7th round pick campbell. I read earlier this year in an article about Barnett that if someone emerges Barnett would go weakside and Diggs would go to MLB. Something to think about.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spaulding said:
I think all the competition on defense this year is key. Right now there's 11 LB's on the roster. That includes 7th round pick campbell. I read earlier this year in an article about Barnett that if someone emerges Barnett would go weakside and Diggs would go to MLB. Something to think about.
Agreed - It's gonna be tough getting down to the 53-man Roster.
Anyone wanna post what they think the final listing will be?

Latest posts