Last Word on Mike McCathy

Reaction score
This is from the Packer wire web-site...……….

Undisciplined team

After five games, the Packers have the third-most penalties (43) and second-most penalty yards (413) in the NFL. Mike McCarthy’s team also has eight turnovers, including six lost fumbles, and both the offense and defense have struggled with fundamental aspects such as catching the football and completing tackles. The Packers have dug big holes in three out of five games, with deficits of 17-0, 28-10 and 24-0 at halftime, and are 0-2 on the road. It’s all the reflection of an undisciplined, sloppy football team. Great teams either avoid unforced mistakes or are good enough to overcome them. The Packers can’t claim either through five games. McCarthy needs to repair major foundational cracks in his football team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comment - never label anything in a sports forum as "the last word" :)

Question - where is that on packers.com? Tried looking in the obvious areas but couldn't find it.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score

Question - where is that on packers.com? Tried looking in the obvious areas but couldn't find it.

LOL...….Good Advice, Thanks.

I got this from "Packer Wire" under: "5 things the Packers should be worried about...…"

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, when you said "Packers web-site", I thought you meant their official site (packers.com), and I couldn't believe that sort of thing would show up there. Since it didn't, I'm fine. :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from the Packers web-site...……….

Undisciplined team

After five games, the Packers have the third-most penalties (43) and second-most penalty yards (413) in the NFL. Mike McCarthy’s team also has eight turnovers, including six lost fumbles, and both the offense and defense have struggled with fundamental aspects such as catching the football and completing tackles. The Packers have dug big holes in three out of five games, with deficits of 17-0, 28-10 and 24-0 at halftime, and are 0-2 on the road. It’s all the reflection of an undisciplined, sloppy football team. Great teams either avoid unforced mistakes or are good enough to overcome them. The Packers can’t claim either through five games. McCarthy needs to repair major foundational cracks in his football team.
Nice (but depressing) summary Mike. I’ve also noticed that the team is coming out of the tunnel flat. Take the opener. 100th year of Packer football. The opponent is the almost always beatable Bears. Even given the improvements the Bears have made, the Packers played with no emotion in the first half, and as you note, very little discipline. Very unsettling trend to start the season, and during what is probably the easiest stretch of opponents. I’m usually optimistic, but when Rodgers looks like he’s rather be anywhere else, I get concerned. Bill Walsh famously said that 10 years was the max any HC should spend with a team. I’m not pinning it all on MM, but would love to see a change unless this season results in at least a SB appearance. With the Rams and Saints playing lights out, I don’t see that happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is from the Packer wire web-site...……….

Undisciplined team

Next time follow these rules

Posting Articles:
There has been a number of occasions where a user wants to post an article from another site. We are completely IN FAVOR of posting articles from another since that creates a good discussion on this site. However, there are some guidelines that need to be followed.

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, the one thing that can't be argued with (at least not well) is trends.
Can you buck them? Sure.
Can you outperform your average? Absolutely. Happens all the time.

But you cannot discard them. This teams trends are not good right now. Could they change? Yes. Is what we are seeing now showing that change is a comin'? Not yet.

I think this team has the ability to buck them in spurts and will likely surprise a Rams or Pat's type matchup, but it won't be because we are the better team on average, which is what we should all hope for. It will he bc we played better than what we have to date. Can that be sustained? I hope.

But I haven't seen anything to date that makese think this seasons a winning hand.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next time follow these rules

Posting Articles:
There has been a number of occasions where a user wants to post an article from another site. We are completely IN FAVOR of posting articles from another since that creates a good discussion on this site. However, there are some guidelines that need to be followed.

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.
So I can post in the atrium a few paragraphs from a hot and ****** X rated story from a free erotica story site but if I paid for it, it's off limits?
Got it.
:D

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard it all before. Only the names are changed.
Sherman,Favre? Seems all so familiar. I went back and read some articles from the early 2000's about what was being said about the team before Sherman was fired,seems eerily familiar even though talent wasn't the best in the world. In my old age I had forgotten that Thompson had given Sherman a 2 yr extension when he became GM and then fired him after one year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[sjb12681, post: 792594, member: 8865"

But I haven't seen anything to date that makese think this seasons a winning hand.
[/QUOTE]
you really haven't? because everything right now seems to be self induced damage. Those are the easiest things to fix. Nobody has outplayed them. I don't think Detroit is even close to the team that GB is. I know everyone likes to wallow in gloom and doom, but if they just clean up a few things, they're rolling. Penalties need to stop. MM and staff usually do a pretty good job with that. This year it hasn't been so good, not at all. But do you think they're incapable of getting more discipline from their players? if you do, you haven't been paying attention over the years.

part of it might be lots of change and having to try and get the offense even partially together by game time with all the key players out much of the week. Spend more time on getting young guys up to speed, than practicing the finer details. I think this will start coming around. Maybe not, but it probably will. I don't think Rodgers is going to keep turning the ball over inside the 10 yard line. We're not going to miss 5 kicks a game every game. etc.

I do think this team will get it together and it's not going to take much once they do to look like a complete different team. Even with as bad as it seemed last Sunday, if Brown doesn't do his stupid ****ing stare down after a 3rd down stop I really think this team was coming back to win. but maybe that's just me being hopeful. But a team that has the capability to come back from 20+ points down in a half like this one does, is not a team that hasn't "shown anything to date" on being able to have a winning season.

The defense has been up and down, but that's expected. ANyone who thought a new Coordinator was just going to step in and and they'd be playing at Peak were fooling themselves. Maybe by this time in year 3 we'll see what this defense is capable of, but right now they aren't even close to potential. You can't skip the learning phase, which requires mistakes. All things considered, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

and on offense, MM and Philbin are not a couple of hacks, they're very smart and will get it figured out. They'll get the matchups they want on the field, they're learning strengths and weaknesses of young players, they're dealing with rotation, but it will all go into the formula that makes this team better in the 2nd half of the season.

Just last week, all the things that went wrong. starting with that stupid punt to start. first drive, stop and punt. not a single official thought the ball went of King, yet they called it that way figuring replay could sort it out. and they it didn't. All those missed kicks, not just the missed kicks, but because it gave Detroit great field position and when we stopped them, it allowed them to pin us deep every single time. Just making 1 or 2 of them allows us to kick off and give us a chance at decent field position after a stop. That's huge in a game. Do you guys realize that I think GB was -300 yards in average starting position that game? Thats enormous. That's almost an entire offensive output for a lot of teams, we had to produce just to get to even.

This team has work to do, but there have been plenty of signs that this team can be so much more than it has appeared so far in terms of wins and losses.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to know what's really going on. IMO I would say all the injuries are a factor, but it does not explain the lack of discipline. I remember early onwhen MM was the new HC, he and staff were really working hard with the players on reducing penalties. It seems obvious to me that the players and staff have a lot of frustration which can then lead to boneheaded plays. Hopefully they can get their heads screwed on straight and get it together.

Question: If we have another poor season does Gute have the authority to make a change in the head coach? I'm thinking, not. Based on restructure only Murphy can do that, correct?

Phazael

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure they would have to wheel teddy the ghost out in his chair with one beep for yes and two for no to weigh in.

H

HardRightEdge

Never label anything at all the last word. Ben Franklin is usually the attribution for the saying, "the only certainty is death and taxes". Now it's become only death. :eek:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sherman,Favre? Seems all so familiar. I went back and read some articles from the early 2000's about what was being said about the team before Sherman was fired,seems eerily familiar even though talent wasn't the best in the world. In my old age I had forgotten that Thompson had given Sherman a 2 yr extension when he became GM and then fired him after one year.

Oh yeah, that was "go away" money to be sure. Sherman's downfall was being so egomaniacal in thinking he was able to do the dual role...and then couldn't accept the fact that as a GM, he was just not qualified.

Harlan/Wolf's two biggest blunders were Ray Rhodes (for gawd's sake) and giving Mike Sherman the dual role.

Most people forget that Sherman's last season was one completely decimated by injuries. God it was brutal. Still, Sherman is having a bad time up in Canada...even with Johnnie Football as his hand picked savior. :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

Question: If we have another poor season does Gute have the authority to make a change in the head coach? I'm thinking, not. Based on restructure only Murphy can do that, correct?

You're right about that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good thing is that you can fix discipline problems. You can't fix a lack of talent. What's most perplexing is that the Packers were at their best with Philbin ensuring that the offense was well-rehearsed and executing at a high level. It seems to be the opposite this year.

Injury wise I don't think that's a relevant excuse yet. Most teams are dealing with this level of injuries. What we are dealing with is an inflexibility to circumvent those injuries. I'm a MM fan generally, but right now he needs to move away from his WR-heavy offense and work with what he's got - three healthy running backs and a solid offensive line.

We need to play to our strengths, minimize the effect of our weaknesses, and get back to a dominating attitude on the field.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute should’ve had the first word on who he wanted to be the Head Coach going into the season...period. Murphy was a chump for not allowing Gute to even examin other options as the GM of the team. IF the Packers has a bad season this year McCarthy needs to be gone plain and simple.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good thing is that you can fix discipline problems. You can't fix a lack of talent. What's most perplexing is that the Packers were at their best with Philbin ensuring that the offense was well-rehearsed and executing at a high level. It seems to be the opposite this year.

Injury wise I don't think that's a relevant excuse yet. Most teams are dealing with this level of injuries. What we are dealing with is an inflexibility to circumvent those injuries. I'm a MM fan generally, but right now he needs to move away from his WR-heavy offense and work with what he's got - three healthy running backs and a solid offensive line.

We need to play to our strengths, minimize the effect of our weaknesses, and get back to a dominating attitude on the field.
Playing to our strengths does not mean moving away from the Passing game... when your QB is Aaron Rodgers. Saying that the team should try and become a running team is just plain silly. That offensive line is not built for it either. Sure, the Packers can be successful running occasionally because of the threat Rodgers poses, but to “move away from his WR heavy offense” makes no sense.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing to our strengths does not mean moving away from the Passing game... when your QB is Aaron Rodgers. Saying that the team should try and become a running team is just plain silly. That offensive line is not built for it either. Sure, the Packers can be successful running occasionally because of the threat Rodgers poses, but to “move away from his WR heavy offense” makes no sense.
The passing game is not our strength right now, this season. Our receivers right now, injured, are not our strength. I agree with you that these are all typically the case, but they aren't right now. Rodgers is playing very poorly as well this season, bad knee or not. My case is to utilize the strengths that we do have right now....not what we had in previous years. Right now we have three healthy running backs and a mostly healthy O-line.

Members online