Last Word on Mike McCathy

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The passing game is not our strength right now, this season. Our receivers right now, injured, are not our strength. I agree with you that these are all typically the case, but they aren't right now. Rodgers is playing very poorly as well this season, bad knee or not. My case is to utilize the strengths that we do have right now....not what we had in previous years. Right now we have three healthy running backs and a mostly healthy O-line.
Did you just see what the Packers paid Aaron Rodgers?... Your idea is not going to happen.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you just see what the Packers paid Aaron Rodgers?... Your idea is not going to happen.
incidentally.... they tried some of that last year while Rodgers was out.... The running game...with this offensive line is not a strength.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The passing game is not our strength right now, this season. Our receivers right now, injured, are not our strength. I agree with you that these are all typically the case, but they aren't right now. Rodgers is playing very poorly as well this season, bad knee or not.

You're damn right! Rodgers is only on pace for 5040 yards, 32 TDs and 3 INTs this year. That's about as bad as it gets. They should have cut him when they had the chance!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're damn right! Rodgers is only on pace for 5040 yards, 32 TDs and 3 INTs this year. That's about as bad as it gets. They should have cut him when they had the chance!
how many fumbles is he on pace for? 2 just last game, one at about the 5. Let's not pretend the stats tell the whole story. He's missed more receivers this year already than he has in entire seasons in the past.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
incidentally.... they tried some of that last year while Rodgers was out.... The running game...with this offensive line is not a strength.
I wouldn't say that. Jamaal Williams averaged 3.6 yards last year. Jones averaged 5.5 behind the same line. Point being that Williams is a very mediocre back while Jones is a very dynamic back. Pass protection is a poor reason to leave that much production on the bench. This is my biggest beef with MM this season. Playing Williams over Jones is like having a choice between prime rib and a McDonald's hamburger and choosing the hamburger because it comes with fries.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how many fumbles is he on pace for? 2 just last game, one at about the 5. Let's not pretend the stats tell the whole story. He's missed more receivers this year already than he has in entire seasons in the past.
If you haven't noticed QB fumbles are up across the league because defenders are going for the ball every time now instead of the sack.

And lets keep this in the realm of reality. He has definitely not missed more receivers in 5 games than any other full season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how many fumbles is he on pace for? You seem to think he shares no blame in this. I just asked a question.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to base coaching decisions on financial decisions, that sounds brilliant!

Hmmm, that must mean that if we keep doing what we are doing, we will win. Another brilliant idea! Rodgers isn't the problem but he doesn't have the hot hand right now. Utilizing the running game more can help Rodgers get back on track. You seem to have MM's mentality of just cramming it in the cram hole. Throw your way out of a funk.

Reaction score
there's a song in there somewhere

it's all the same, only the names have changed....
wanted, dead or alive(a bit like a complete performance one week)
Ironic! It’s like the rest of those Bon Jovi lyrics were written as prophecy about CM3
“Everyday, it seems we’re wasting away.. another place where the faces are so cold
I drive all night just to get back home”

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to base coaching decisions on financial decisions, that sounds brilliant!

Hmmm, that must mean that if we keep doing what we are doing, we will win. Another brilliant idea! Rodgers isn't the problem but he doesn't have the hot hand right now. Utilizing the running game more can help Rodgers get back on track. You seem to have MM's mentality of just cramming it in the cram hole. Throw your way out of a funk.
Lol this is my last post on this subject... but here is a new flash for you... the NFL is about money You seem to be thinking about the world on much simpler terms. If you honestly believe that any coach of the Green Bay Packers is going to try... or be allowed to ignore the investment that the team made in Rodgers.. you have a world view that I don’t see much point in debating.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. Jamaal Williams averaged 3.6 yards last year. Jones averaged 5.5 behind the same line. Point being that Williams is a very mediocre back while Jones is a very dynamic back. Pass protection is a poor reason to leave that much production on the bench. This is my biggest beef with MM this season. Playing Williams over Jones is like having a choice between prime rib and a McDonald's hamburger and choosing the hamburger because it comes with fries.
We have no argument in that regard. I certainly would like to see a better running game... and more of Jones. my comments were in direct response to El Guapo literally claiming that the Packers should completely change their focus and switch from a pass oriented to a run oriented offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Injury wise I don't think that's a relevant excuse yet. Most teams are dealing with this level of injuries. What we are dealing with is an inflexibility to circumvent those injuries. I'm a MM fan generally, but right now he needs to move away from his WR-heavy offense and work with what he's got - three healthy running backs and a solid offensive line.

Rodgers being injured since the first quarter of week 1 is a valid excuse for the offense not performing at an elite level. While it might be smart to run the ball more often the offense will always center around throwing the ball as long as #12 is playing. In addition it doesn't make sense to run the ball being down by 24 at halftime.

I wouldn't say that. Jamaal Williams averaged 3.6 yards last year. Jones averaged 5.5 behind the same line. Point being that Williams is a very mediocre back while Jones is a very dynamic back.

There's no doubt Jones should receive the majority of rushing attempts.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers being injured since the first quarter of week 1 is a valid excuse for the offense not performing at an elite level. While it might be smart to run the ball more often the offense will always center around throwing the ball as long as #12 is playing. In addition it doesn't make sense to run the ball being down by 24 at halftime.

It does when you have a home run back like Jones, especially when the other team sits back in a cover 2 or 3 because they know all you're going to do is throw.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no argument in that regard. I certainly would like to see a better running game... and more of Jones. my comments were in direct response to El Guapo literally claiming that the Packers should completely change their focus and switch from a pass oriented to a run oriented offense.
I will say I would like to see something close to a 50/50 distribution. Maybe 55% pass. But I've always felt like Mike's biggest weakness is not knowing how to conduct a running attack when the situation calls for it. We could be playing a team with the #1 pass defense and #30 run defense and I'm convinced he would still call pass plays 70% of the time. I think he just doesn't have the patience for it. There have been times where even AR has stated that we need to run the ball more. I think he's okay using it when we have a lead, but if we go down 2 scores, that's pretty much the end of the run game.

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Jones is the best pass protector per PFF:

Aaron Jones - 82.5
Jamaal Williams - 76.7
Ty Montgomery - 69.1

There is absolutely no argument to not play Aaron. What is MM thinking? It drives me crazy that this talented young guy is not our undisputed #1 RB. Give him the ball, especially with Rodgers being hurt.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Jones - 82.5
Jamaal Williams - 76.7
Ty Montgomery - 69.1

There is absolutely no argument to not play Aaron. What is MM thinking? It drives me crazy that this talented young guy is not our undisputed #1 RB. Give him the ball, especially with Rodgers being hurt.
It does seem odd that they are so married to playing Williams over Jones, but I think it’s been more about circumstances. Jones got hurt last year and missed a lot of time... and then got suspended going in to this year. And then... more circumstances.... they got down 24 points just as Jones was once again gaining traction. I would bet that he will be getting a lot more action as the year progresses provided he stays healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is not a bad guy to trot out there either. Jones is good in some situations. he's explosive. I do not buy the PFF ratings, it's a case where their numbers don't match what I've seen. not by a long shot. I have never seen Jones come close to attacking a blitzer and stoning him like Williams has done repeatedly. I haven't seen him make a block of note all year in Pass protection.

Anyway, the last game, expecting run, Williams gets 6 yards. Jones come in for carry 2 and gets eaten up at the line. Lets not act like Williams serves no purpose and Jones is the be all and end all. He has his limitations as well. They're both capable backs. Early in the seasons Jones wasn't even an option. He also doesn't have a history that says, line me up and give it to me 25+times a game either. Then the situations, as swhitset said, dictated something else. I'm sure Jones is going to see the ball more as the season progresses, but I'm not sold on him being the feature back out of the gate as I don't think he'd hold up.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is not a bad guy to trot out there either. Jones is good in some situations. he's explosive. I do not buy the PFF ratings, it's a case where their numbers don't match what I've seen. not by a long shot. I have never seen Jones come close to attacking a blitzer and stoning him like Williams has done repeatedly. I haven't seen him make a block of note all year in Pass protection.

Anyway, the last game, expecting run, Williams gets 6 yards. Jones come in for carry 2 and gets eaten up at the line. Lets not act like Williams serves no purpose and Jones is the be all and end all. He has his limitations as well. They're both capable backs. Early in the seasons Jones wasn't even an option. He also doesn't have a history that says, line me up and give it to me 25+times a game either. Then the situations, as swhitset said, dictated something else. I'm sure Jones is going to see the ball more as the season progresses, but I'm not sold on him being the feature back out of the gate as I don't think he'd hold up.

Of course you disregard the PFF stats lol.

Also, please show me these repeated instances of Williams attacking and stoning blitzers. Outside of the Barr block I haven't seen anything else even remotely comparable to what you're claiming. We asked our RBs to block on 3 snaps against Detroit. This notion that Williams is somehow this ungodly blocking RB needs to be toned down. It's getting ridiculous.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me a single example of Jones doing it ever. And of course people would use PFF as proof and disregard that one player has missed two games, played sparingly in another, split time with everyone in a third and in a game where backs reportedly blocked on 2 plays and think it’s an accurate representation LOL.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me a single example of Jones doing it ever. And of course people would use PFF as proof and disregard that one player has missed two games, played sparingly in another, split time with everyone in a third and in a game where backs reportedly blocked on 2 plays and think it’s an accurate representation LOL.

Dodged it as I thought.

D

Deleted member 6794

It does when you have a home run back like Jones, especially when the other team sits back in a cover 2 or 3 because they know all you're going to do is throw.

There isn't enough time on the clock to run the ball down by 24.

Aaron Jones - 82.5
Jamaal Williams - 76.7
Ty Montgomery - 69.1

The sample size is way too small as Jones has pass blocked on only five of his snaps.

Early in the seasons Jones wasn't even an option. He also doesn't have a history that says, line me up and give it to me 25+times a game either.

While that's true at the pro level Jones carried the ball 25+ times during seven games in college with UTEP averaging 6.1 yards per carry in those games.

Of course you disregard the PFF stats lol.

PFF's numbers are based on a way too small sample size as Jones has only been used in pass protection five times this season. Last season they graded him at 46.3 in that area on 34 snaps, in my opinion representing more accurate data on his ability to protect Rodgers.