Last minute free agent?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lol don't worry though. Montgomery, Jones got this. After Monty catches stride and Jones comes back from suspension..... Probabally... And Williams. Once he is back to 100%....

Fantasy fallout

Sadly, I am starting to think that Monty being a productive healthy RB in Green Bay is a bit of a fantasy, I hope I am wrong.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Less than a month after Packer fans were upset that they didn’t spend a 7th to acquire Corey Coleman, the Bills cut him.

H

HardRightEdge

Two available veterans that I could see are Karlos Dansby and Robert Ayers. The former isn’t necessarily the best ILB on the market but he’s one of the better ones and he has a history with Pettine. Ayers could bring some strong veteran depth to the OLB corps, in my opinion.
Ayers signed with Detroit about a week ago then cut him one day later. Do you think, just maybe, there's something seriously wrong with the guy?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ayers signed with Detroit about a week ago then cut him one day later. Do you think, just maybe, there's something seriously wrong with the guy?

One would have to assume that something is. Either he's not interested in working (out of shape?), or he's a head case, or maybe he's just athletically fallen off a cliff.

H

HardRightEdge

One would have to assume that something is. Either he's not interested in working (out of shape?), or he's a head case, or maybe he's just athletically fallen off a cliff.
Some vets refuse to work out in advance of getting a contract. That's OK if there is no signing bonus or guarantee, i.e., no dead cap if ways are parted.

So, it's possible he was signed to get a look-see and the Lions didn't like what they saw...immediately.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd go for the head case. Athletically what can you find out in one day unless they signed him sight unseen which I highly doubt. They had to have a good idea of what kind of shape he was in and in one day did he even get a chance to be lazy on the practice field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some vets refuse to work out in advance of getting a contract. That's OK if there is no signing bonus or guarantee, i.e., no dead cap if ways are parted.

So, it's possible he was signed to get a look-see and the Lions didn't like what they saw...immediately.

I can see the not working out part but they had to at least meet and talk to the guy you would think. I still wonder what you could see in a guy in one day that would make you change your mind. Maybe he showed up in a tshirt that said "If you think the Bears still suck you should see the Lions"

H

HardRightEdge

I can see the not working out part but they had to at least meet and talk to the guy you would think. I still wonder what you could see in a guy in one day that would make you change your mind. Maybe he showed up in a tshirt that said "If you think the Bears still suck you should see the Lions"
They may not have spoken to him before signing him. It might have just gone through his agent. This isn't some high priced free agent you'd like to chat with before making an offer to gauge his enthusiasm for his projected role and the city where he'll play.

Consider teams trade for players they would not have met with. It's not terribly unusual to hear a draftee say they were surprised that their team chose them because they never met. According to Alexander such was the case with him.

You can tell a lot about a guy in one practice if he's really slow or really fat. I don't know what the Lions did not like about Ayers, but those are two possibilities.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is joe Williams worth looking at

Not sure, but I do think we will see the Packers picking up a RB in the next 24 hrs. With Jones being suspended, Mays, Bouagnon, and Ripkowski all being released, it leaves them with 2 RB's Williams/Monty and 2 guys I don't even seeing making the team; Daniels and Kerridge.

D

Deleted member 6794

Less than a month after Packer fans were upset that they didn’t spend a 7th to acquire Corey Coleman, the Bills cut him.

With the move resulting in $3.5 million of dead money counting against the Bills cap as his base salaries for 2018 and '19 were fully guaranteed.

Vikes release Robison, is he not worth getting?

Michael Johnson

The Packers shouldn't be interested in either Robison or Johnson.

Is joe Williams worth looking at

It's realistic to expect the Packers to add another running back before the start of thr season. It might be smart to take a chance on Donnell Pumphrey.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the move resulting in $3.5 million of dead money counting against the Bills cap as his base salaries for 2018 and '19 were fully guaranteed.

The Packers shouldn't be interested in either Robison or Johnson.

It's realistic to expect the Packers to add another running back before the start of thr season. It might be smart to take a chance on Donnell Pumphrey.
They should go out and get a veteran stud past his prime a bit. A not as good as he once was, but good once as he ever was, type... Plus I still think Cobb could be used as a scat back much more in this offense...we need to get the ball in his hands if we ever expect to get value for that 10milly he is making.....

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doing our long standing fantasy league today. Talking among my fellow football fanatics. I learned the we actually gained a bunch (17 mil?) of cap now and next year. But pay a full 34 a year after that....

Can any cap knowers verify this talk?

If true.... It seems greenbay has a spot or two open ...

So who do we go get?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Plus I still think Cobb could be used as a scat back much more in this offense...
Please no! Cobb has looked terrible coming from the backfield the last 4 years. He had a 1.9 average per rush last year and 3.3, 3.8 and 3.4 the previous 3. I think you are remembering back to 2013 and 2012 when he actually made something happen when he lined up in the backfield. Teams sniffed it out and schemed for it, as well as I think he has lost a step.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kalif Barnes.
Demarco Murray
Jonathan Hankins.
Tampa Hali, or Lamar Houston.

Demarco Murray retired in July ;)

Hankins is a bit of a surprise that he is still available at the age of 26. Guessing he is asking for too much money. He plays well in a 3-4, but think the Packers are pretty set at DT, at least for the kind of money he is probably seeking. Not to mention, a big guy like that, what kind of shape is he in?

Hali seems to be content out of football and is considering retiring.

Houston is an interesting one. While he is now on the wrong side of 30, he appeared in the last five games of the season and recorded four sacks during his second stint with the Bears.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This new bumbling regime in Oakland has me wondering how the Packers might be able to jump in and take advantage while the gettin's good.

1st round pick Karl Joseph has lost out on the starting job. While he struggled at times in coverage last year (along with the entire secondary there), he has put more good play on tape than bad. He's especially effective as a blitzing rusher from the defensive backfield. Mike Pettine, of all coordinators, could take advantage of that skill. I would love to see the FO offer a late pick for Joseph and just see what happens.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This new bumbling regime in Oakland has me wondering how the Packers might be able to jump in and take advantage while the gettin's good.

Get in Reggie's ear and hand him Dom Capers Resume....that ought to set them back a few more years. ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Get in Reggie's ear and hand him Dom Capers Resume....that ought to set them back a few more years. ;)

Call up Reggie and ask him to trade you some good players in advance of his return to Green Bay's front office next year.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please no! Cobb has looked terrible coming from the backfield the last 4 years. He had a 1.9 average per rush last year and 3.3, 3.8 and 3.4 the previous 3. I think you are remembering back to 2013 and 2012 when he actually made something happen when he lined up in the backfield. Teams sniffed it out and schemed for it, as well as I think he has lost a step.
Well that should be the argument against keeping him then.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well that should be the argument against keeping him then.

I still think Cobb provides a lot of value at WR, maybe not equal to what he is being paid though. His knowledge of the offense and chemistry with Rodgers adds to that value.

My comment was strictly not wanting to see Cobb lined up behind Rodgers or in the Wildcat. The train has left the station on that gimmick and even worse.....relying on Cobb to do so. It's one thing to toss the play in a few times a year as a wrinkle, which I would still cringe at, but to say "ok, we need to use Cobb in the backfield more often", wouldn't be something I would be in favor of.