Last minute free agent?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we done with the roster?
I was thinking. Is there a good value vet out there who can bring in some mojo?

Navaro Bowman? He is 30... I think him in the middle, pushing our lbs to play better. Infusing that all pro mentality into the group.

Tj ward? He is 31. Another guy who was up in the top tier of their position a couple few years ago... now he is a back up who pushes the current starters.

Tre Boston, s, 25 years old... 5 ints and 80 tackles last year.....little payback to the chargers for Casey Hayward?

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind a 1 year deal for Erik Walden as an insurance policy. He was essentially replaced by Nick Perry (PUP) in 2011. He’s older but I think he’s a reliable depth player once Perry returns. Walden could provide some experience to the OLB core and he is a solid rotational value in the event Perry remains his usual injured Perry

H

HardRightEdge

Navaro Bowman? He is 30... I think him in the middle, pushing our lbs to play better. Infusing that all pro mentality into the group.

Tj ward? He is 31. Another guy who was up in the top tier of their position a couple few years ago... now he is a back up who pushes the current starters.

Tre Boston, s, 25 years old... 5 ints and 80 tackles last year.....little payback to the chargers for Casey Hayward?
If somebody goes to IR or gets suspended or just sh*ts the bed in preseason, depending on his importance, then they might look for a vet. Last year it was the backup OLBs not shaping up so they got Brooks late in the process. I doubt they're doing any serious shopping at this juncture. Probably just keeping the pro scouting up to date if the need arises.

There's going to have to be a need. The Packers are not in a cap position to do any luxury spending.

Reaction score
If somebody goes to IR or gets suspended or just sh*ts the bed in preseason, depending on his importance, then they might look for a vet. Last year it was the backup OLBs not shaping up so they got Brooks late in the process. I doubt they're doing any serious shopping at this juncture. Probably just keeping the pro scouting up to date if the need arises.

There's going to have to be a need. The Packers are not in a cap position to do any luxury spending.
We just put Perry on PUP. We should 100% be considering our OLB injury history and relative inexperience at the position behind our starters OLB is now arguably our weekest position and has me concerned.
I do agree with the Cap comment. There are several choices out there that are good enough to make the 53 that are relativly low on the pay scale. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we added a LB in the near future.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Tre Boston signed with the Cardinals today ($1.5M that could double with incentives).

I like Bowman, but not sure the Packers wont just stick with Martinez, Ryan and rookie Burks.

Despite all the politics surrounding Eric Reid, I would sign him or Kenny Vaccaro over Ward.

I view WR as a position that the Packers should go after someone like Decker, Maclin or even Michael Floyd, especially if it looks like they don't have a solid #3. I like the 3 rookies, but can't really see any of them contributing in 2018, especially in the first half of the season.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tre Boston signed with the Cardinals today ($1.5M that could double with incentives).

I like Bowman, but not sure the Packers wont just stick with Martinez, Ryan and rookie Burks.

Despite all the politics surrounding Eric Reid, I would sign him or Kenny Vaccaro over Ward.

I view WR as a position that the Packers should go after someone like Decker, Maclin or even Michael Floyd, especially if it looks like they don't have a solid #3. I like the 3 rookies, but can't really see any of them contributing in 2018, especially in the first half of the season.
I honestly don’t know how Decker ain’t signed yet!? I think that would be a very solid signing has been productive for quite some time he ain’t super old and he would be cheap!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with OldSchool that the Packers should think about signing a veteran edge rusher to add much needed depth at the position. Robert Ayers might present an intriguing option.

Other than that I don't feel the need to spend cap space on another position.

I wouldn’t mind a 1 year deal for Erik Walden as an insurance policy. He was essentially replaced by Nick Perry (PUP) in 2011. He’s older but I think he’s a reliable depth player once Perry returns. Walden could provide some experience to the OLB core and he is a solid rotational value in the event Perry remains his usual injured Perry

According to several sources the Packers fully expect Perry to be ready for the start of the season.

As HRE correctly pointed out in a different thread Vaccaro has been a bust and most likely wouldn't present an upgrade over the safeties already on the roster. There's no reason to believe any team is interested in signing Reid after he filed a grievance against the league.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure there is anything out there worth signing right now. Bringing in a veteran takes practice reps from our young players. However, during roster cut downs, there will likely be a veteran or two available that would make sense. The downside is not having a training camp to learn the system, but you are more likely getting a better player who is in football shape.

And, I might add, if you get a viking or other foe castoff, it may provide some inside info of value.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure there is anything out there worth signing right now. Bringing in a veteran takes practice reps from our young players. However, during roster cut downs, there will likely be a veteran or two available that would make sense. The downside is not having a training camp to learn the system, but you are more likely getting a better player who is in football shape.

Unfortunately I don't believe the backups at edge rusher getting a significant amount of reps in camp will result in quality depth once the season starts. I would feel way more comfortable about the position if another veteran is added.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And, I might add, if you get a viking or other foe castoff, it may provide some inside info of value.

Agree.

If the Pack suffer a significant injury between now and the regular season, I can see another vet coming in. Right now, probably not.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GB should offer Tre Boston a contract. He could fulfill the role Morgan Burnett played last year. He's younger. COuld sign him to a one-year deal, and a possible extension. Not sold on Josh Jones or Kendall Brice as full time starters. Plus, no guarantee Ha Ha stays beyond this season.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to sign anyone, it would have to be an OLB, S, WR respectively. Like many others, i think our edge group is the thinnest and would love to see more cap alloted there. Tamba Hali is still on the market. I dont know what other guys are still out there

D

Deleted member 6794

GB should offer Tre Boston a contract. He could fulfill the role Morgan Burnett played last year. He's younger. COuld sign him to a one-year deal, and a possible extension. Not sold on Josh Jones or Kendall Brice as full time starters. Plus, no guarantee Ha Ha stays beyond this season.

As Pokerbrat already pointed out correctly in this thread Boston signed with Arizona this week.

If we were to sign anyone, it would have to be an OLB, S, WR respectively. Like many others, i think our edge group is the thinnest and would love to see more cap alloted there. Tamba Hali is still on the market. I dont know what other guys are still out there

There are still some veteran available including Cliff Avril, Robert Ayers, Elvis Dumervil, Junior Galette, Lamarr Houston, Charles Johnson and Erik Walden.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't believe the backups at edge rusher getting a significant amount of reps in camp will result in quality depth once the season starts. I would feel way more comfortable about the position if another veteran is added.
Given up on Fackrell and Biegel already? I get Frackrell, although I think he hasn't shown much, it doesnt mean there is no chance. Biegel, I am think there is a good chance he is quality depth this year.

If we didnt have injury concerns, I think Clay and Perry can be a very effective pair under pettine.

As far as adding a veteran, I think we should as well, but we should wait till the final roster cut down. There will be a good veteran being cut out there who can help us. A better option than what is still available now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Given up on Fackrell and Biegel already? I get Frackrell, although I think he hasn't shown much, it doesnt mean there is no chance. Biegel, I am think there is a good chance he is quality depth this year.

If we didnt have injury concerns, I think Clay and Perry can be a very effective pair under pettine.

As far as adding a veteran, I think we should as well, but we should wait till the final roster cut down. There will be a good veteran being cut out there who can help us. A better option than what is still available now.

I haven't given up on Biegel by any means at this point but in my opinion it would be a mistake relying on either him or Gilbert being the primary backup at edge rusher entering this season.

It's true that Matthews and Perry are both quality starters but unfortunately they haven't been able to stay healthy for most of their careers.

You might be correct that it would be smart to wait until final cut downs to sign a veteran although I would prefer a free agent to spend training camp with the team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like the team will take a wait and see approach. If say half way through pre season no reciever not named Adams or Cobb steps up, or injuries, then I'd look for them to make some moves.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All good points. And some players are sure to get injured during the PS, although I hope I’m wrong about that. Waiting a little longer probably makes sense at this point. One player I’m concerned about is Jake Ryan. I was pleased when he was drafted out of Michigan, but unless I’ve missed something, he seems like “just a guy”. Some LB depth in the middle would be nice, although if Burks lives up to his 3rd round billing, he could take snaps from Ryan. OLB/Edge rusher and WR could use some veteran depth, and in that order. Again, probably best to wait until mid-August to re-evaluate and see who is available.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like the team will take a wait and see approach. If say half way through pre season no reciever not named Adams or Cobb steps up, or injuries, then I'd look for them to make some moves.
Yeah I think you’re right. No need to add depth now, and things change quickly in the PS. I’d like more depth at OLB/Edge, but waiting makes the most sense for now. Ya never know who will really step up in camp, and it’s usually a surprise.

D

Deleted member 6794

One player I’m concerned about is Jake Ryan. I was pleased when he was drafted out of Michigan, but unless I’ve missed something, he seems like “just a guy”. Some LB depth in the middle would be nice, although if Burks lives up to his 3rd round billing, he could take snaps from Ryan.

Ryan is a solid two down player as he is an above average run defender but struggles in coverage. I don't believe Burks will take away snaps from him as he excels in different areas than Ryan.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like the Packers and their fans at this time of year are relying on "this guy or that guy to step up". This is always the hope, but too much reliance on it happening, while taking the expected injuries into account, have left the Packers relying on backups with little or no experience or just not enough talent, way too much by mid-season IMO. I'm not going to go back and try to figure out how many guys this has pertained to, but it seems like we have had way too many "ready for the next level" kind of guys stick on the roster far too long and when their number is called, they aren't ready. Wouldn't it make more sense to just cut ties and fill those roster spots with proven veteran free agents each year? Most of those vet free agents won't be available or ready to contribute by mid season, when the Packers discover glaring holes due to injuries or inexperience.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the Packers and their fans at this time of year are relying on "this guy or that guy to step up". This is always the hope, but too much reliance on it happening, while taking the expected injuries into account, have left the Packers relying on backups with little or no experience or just not enough talent, way too much by mid-season IMO. I'm not going to go back and try to figure out how many guys this has pertained to, but it seems like we have had way too many "ready for the next level" kind of guys stick on the roster far too long and when their number is called, they aren't ready. Wouldn't it make more sense to just cut ties and fill those roster spots with proven veteran free agents each year? Most of those vet free agents won't be available or ready to contribute by mid season, when the Packers discover glaring holes due to injuries or inexperience.
Not every player is going to make it. But the Pack will remain competitive as long as some of them do.

Remember this thread:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/can-we-keep-all-our-upcoming-free-agents.35321/

Six years ago people were concerned we were losing all our free agents. Some posters actually thought that no new players would emerge. Yet every player they list has been replaced.

We lost Jennings but we now have Adams
Clark for Raji
Etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not every player is going to make it. But the Pack will remain competitive as long as some of them do.

Remember this thread:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/can-we-keep-all-our-upcoming-free-agents.35321/

Six years ago people were concerned we were losing all our free agents. Some posters actually thought that no new players would emerge. Yet every player they list has been replaced.

We lost Jennings but we now have Adams
Clark for Raji
Etc.

Right, but Adams and Clark were high round picks, replacing high round picks. I am also not referring to losing guys via Free agency, actually the opposite. I am referring more to keeping too many "could be a great player some day" kind of guys. Guys that were late round picks or UDFA's that never end up developing or can't play on Sundays when called upon. I would rather have a few less of those and replace them with some battle tested cheap vets. I am probably going to miss someone, but besides Shields and some of the OL, where have the Packers developed a late round or UDFA into a starter or even a real quality backup? Seems all we hear about is how young the team is and the potential of the young guys. Even some of those young high picks haven't worked out and that compounds the problem.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
besides Shields and some of the OL, where have the Packers developed a late round or UDFA into a starter or even a real quality backup?
5th round or later non-OL: Donald Driver, Eric Walden, Starks, Crabtree, Pennel. Several more had career ending injuries just as they seemed to be getting it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
5th round or later non-OL: Donald Driver, Eric Walden, Starks, Crabtree, Pennel. Several more had career ending injuries just as they seemed to be getting it.
I will give you Driver, but that goes back to 1999. Starks was a serviceable backup, nothing that special. Walden came to the Packers as a FA in his 5th year and was meh. Crabtree and Pennel would be reaches IMO to say they did much for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am referring more to keeping too many "could be a great player some day" kind of guys. Guys that were late round picks or UDFA's that never end up developing or can't play on Sundays when called upon. I would rather have a few less of those and replace them with some battle tested cheap vets.

The Packers need some late round picks and undrafted free agents on the roster to stay under the salary cap though. It's impossible to replace all of them with veterans asking for significantly more money.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts