Las Vegas Line

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but it's interesting that the oddsmakers are favoring the Pack by 3. They usually give the home team 3 points, so they actually think that the Packers are equal to the Vikes. I thought the Vikes would still be favored by one or two so goes to show what I know.

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...I guess I would have expected the Viks to be favored

It may have something to do with the dynamics of the players, rather than just that they think our team has improved. The pressure on both sides must be tremendous. They probably figure it may be harder for Favre coming back to Lambeau, than it was for GB going into the dome. Remember how worked up he got when Holmgren went to Seattle. How many picks?

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may have something to do with the dynamics of the players, rather than just that they think our team has improved. The pressure on both sides must be tremendous. They probably figure it may be harder for Favre coming back to Lambeau, than it was for GB going into the dome. Remember how worked up he got when Holmgren went to Seattle. How many picks?

That's true, I forgot all about that game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But being at home as mentioned its a push then..

Odds people are saying both teams are even..Which is what I was thinking..That the odds people think both teams are even

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But being at home as mentioned its a push then..

Odds people are saying both teams are even..Which is what I was thinking..That the odds people think both teams are even

That's what I think is amazing, GB -3 means the oddsmakers think they are even, just giving GB homefield advantage. I'm just surprised.

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I think is amazing, GB -3 means the oddsmakers think they are even, just giving GB homefield advantage. I'm just surprised.

I'm not surprised in the least. We played a good game when we met them in the dome in week 4, we only lost by 7 points, despite not having the o-line and having JA tear through us. The oddsmakers are taking alot into account such as the momentum we have, minnesota getting their first loss, as well as favre coming back to lambeau (and how the fans will react to that/how he will play.) They know GB knows they need this win to get the division so we will be playing above and beyond. We have alot more to lose then they do.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but it's interesting that the oddsmakers are favoring the Pack by 3. They usually give the home team 3 points, so they actually think that the Packers are equal to the Vikes. I thought the Vikes would still be favored by one or two so goes to show what I know.

That's what I figured - actually, I thought it would be GB -2.

Glancing at the early Sagarin ratings, he's got Minnesota by 1. Both teams have a very comparable overall rating, however.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Being a game with very high level of attention ... - Personally I think it has more to do with the brokers trying to "cover" their behinds ...

Alot of people will probably be betting on the Packers to win (being at home) and Minnesota losing in Pittsburg ... and thus if the Vikings were to be favoured ... that could (not saying it will), but it could result in a large payback deficit ... - So by evening out the odds ... the brokers will be able to "forego" these bets some of the way ...

When odds are set you are using "statistics" more than ever, and by all logics, the Vikings should be "favoured" going into this game ...

Having said that, it's my speculation, and no matter what ... this game is one of the few I actually would wish I could attend in person ... alas it's a long travel (from Europe) ...

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, I forgot all about that game.

I just looked up that game against Seattle after Holmgren left GB. Brett threw 4 interceptions. It's kind of sad really, he's never listened to a coach since. A little more discipline and he could have led the Pack to at least one more SB.

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just looked up that game against Seattle after Holmgren left GB. Brett threw 4 interceptions. It's kind of sad really, he's never listened to a coach since. A little more discipline and he could have led the Pack to at least one more SB.

Yeah I agree, Holmgren was a great coach on top of being the only one to ever keep favre in check.

However, i'm not sure if we can compare Favre playing against holmgren and doing bad to Favre coming back to Lambeau and possibly doing bad. I think it's a little bit of a different situation. But I may be wrong, lets hope he does choke.

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a game with very high level of attention ... - Personally I think it has more to do with the brokers trying to "cover" their behinds ...

Alot of people will probably be betting on the Packers to win (being at home) and Minnesota losing in Pittsburg ... and thus if the Vikings were to be favoured ... that could (not saying it will), but it could result in a large payback deficit ... - So by evening out the odds ... the brokers will be able to "forego" these bets some of the way ...

When odds are set you are using "statistics" more than ever, and by all logics, the Vikings should be "favoured" going into this game ...

Having said that, it's my speculation, and no matter what ... this game is one of the few I actually would wish I could attend in person ... alas it's a long travel (from Europe) ...

Where are you in Europe? That would be fun if you were able to get over here for a Superbowl. Probably have to win the lotto though LOL

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Where are you in Europe? That would be fun if you were able to get over here for a Superbowl. Probably have to win the lotto though LOL

I'm from Denmark, and I'm planning on going to the Super Bowl, maybe even the NFC Championship as well, pending on whether or not I can tweak my work schedule enough hah

In any case I'll be hoping to watch a game at Lambeau, when I'm going to visit our "relatives" in Green Bay - that is if the Packers make it to the play offs, because I won't be going there untill January ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, Holmgren was a great coach on top of being the only one to ever keep favre in check.

However, i'm not sure if we can compare Favre playing against holmgren and doing bad to Favre coming back to Lambeau and possibly doing bad. I think it's a little bit of a different situation. But I may be wrong, lets hope he does choke.
Man, that signature of yours was just TOO FUNNY! LMAO!!

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm from Denmark, and I'm planning on going to the Super Bowl, maybe even the NFC Championship as well, pending on whether or not I can tweak my work schedule enough hah

In any case I'll be hoping to watch a game at Lambeau, when I'm going to visit our "relatives" in Green Bay - that is if the Packers make it to the play offs, because I won't be going there untill January ...

Bring warm clothes to Lambeau, you'll have a great time. And how lucky to be able to go to the Superbowl, now matter which teams make it!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm from Brazil. I went to the Seahawks playoff game 2000 or 2001, can't remember. It was 400 bucks, and a friend of mine living in San Diego back then bought it as soon as we clinched the spot. I can only figure if you're gonna buy it when you arrive in GB, it's gonna cost you a ton. I would advise you try to contact someone from this forum that lives near. IronMan I know of, not sure if he would do this, though.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I'm from Brazil. I went to the Seahawks playoff game 2000 or 2001, can't remember. It was 400 bucks, and a friend of mine living in San Diego back then bought it as soon as we clinched the spot. I can only figure if you're gonna buy it when you arrive in GB, it's gonna cost you a ton. I would advise you try to contact someone from this forum that lives near. IronMan I know of, not sure if he would do this, though.

If the Packers make the Play Offs, I'll have no problem in watching the game where ever it's at ... And it won't cost me anything :) regardless of where it's played ... (only my flight to the states will cost me)

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, that signature of yours was just TOO FUNNY! LMAO!!

Yeh it popped into my head after reading one of those guy's posts. And since im at work, I figured that creating that little sig would be more productive then doing my job ;).

If the Packers make the Play Offs, I'll have no problem in watching the game where ever it's at ... And it won't cost me anything :) regardless of where it's played ... (only my flight to the states will cost me)

Why wouldnt the game cost you anything?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right in that the more people that bet on Green Bay, the higher the line will go, so you'd expect maybe a -4 or -5 by kickoff - if you think Green Bay is better.

However, Minnesota is clearly a better football team, so the initial opening at -3 bears that out, with 3 points always being given to the home team.

I am expecting the line to gradually go down by kickoff to -2 or maybe EVEN.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A little better coaching and a little better surrounding talent wouldn't have hurt matters either.

To cherry pick one game out of 300 is to deprive yourself of knowledge. To armchair QB a player's entire career based off one game is utterly ridiculous. And, to have witnessed over the course of time the great teams and the bad ones and what each had in common in their successes and failures, yet STILL place the burden on ONE player is downright treasonous.

OP
OP
J

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little better coaching and a little better surrounding talent wouldn't have hurt matters either.

To cherry pick one game out of 300 is to deprive yourself of knowledge. To armchair QB a player's entire career based off one game is utterly ridiculous. And, to have witnessed over the course of time the great teams and the bad ones and what each had in common in their successes and failures, yet STILL place the burden on ONE player is downright treasonous.

The only thing I was getting at is that Brett is very emotional and this game will be a very emotional game and I wouldn't want to be in either his or Aaron's shoes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts