Lance Briggs a Green Bay Packer?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs is going to demand a huge payday. Way more than he deserves, and Ted...thank god, will not do that.

Also, Poppinga played very well the 2nd half of the year and the PLAYOFFS(games that matter the most).

Bring in some competition for the spot, but...there was a lot of times Poppinga outplayed Hawk.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Briggs to Green Bay is an intriguing thought. If it happened, they could move Hawk to the strong side, as he has become good at covering TE's. Our strong side LB seems to have as many playmaking opportunities as the weak side guy anyway, so I don't think anyone would be missing out on the fun.

Bummer that Rosenhaus is Briggs' agent, though.

Yeah, when BearPerspective said that, it pretty much ruined my day. I was so excited to post this and got totally into writing it, then Bear says this. Not blaming you, Bear, it's better we know the truth now. It's like I'd be glad if a woman told me she had ****** before we made out. Much appreciated, I'd be her friend, but I'm not into sores.

I don't know if TT will want to deal with Rosenhaus' crap again. Getting burned by that jerk once is enough.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm, i dont know now after listening to some comments.

I'm thinking that adding briggs will improve us but might not improve our team greatly. When you spend 7 million per year on a guy, it has to improve your team greatly. I dont know that it will improve our defense all that much, and maybe not even improve our linebacking corp all that much.

I dont even know what it will take us to get over the top. To be as good as the patriots on paper, we would need a dominant wr, great receiving rb, replace 2 guys on the O-line with pro bowlers, get briggs, and add a couple of good veterans on defense in addition to briggs. That aint gonna happen.

I mean, we were 13-3 last year. We're young, we're good and we can be good for a long time. I'd like to lock up all the guys we already have or most of them anyway. Lets try our best to get 2 good young probowl caliber O-lineman, a versatile dump off option like Cris Cooley/Kevin Faulk, etc., get another tight end comparable or a little better than Lee who can block as well as Franks.

As far as getting depth in the draft, i dont think its necessary. We have a very good young core at all positions. I think its time to trade up in the draft and get a top tier guy and see if any of those other needs i mentioned can be had via free agency.

We're on the right track though. Lets not mess too much with success.

I vote NO to Briggs.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'll be sure to pass your vote along to Ted. Anyone else?

Bozz - Please tell Ted that I'm undecided now. Last time I talked to him, I was trying to convince him to get Briggs.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
Anyone care to tell me what Rosenhaus did in the past?

He represents a lot of star players, and he basically gets most of them to threaten to hold out if the teams don't meet their demand for a new contract. He's a scumbag agent who can hold a team hostage because of the star players he is employed by.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers_Finland said:
Anyone care to tell me what Rosenhaus did in the past?

He was Javon Walker's agent when he was with the Packers and brain-washed him into thinking he was worth more than he really was and we parted ways.

He was/is also T.O.'s agent during the whole Philadelphia/Baltimore phiasco

He's a pretty notorious agent. He brings a lot of media coverage to players and makes things bigger than they are, but he gets his guys paid. He just brings extra baggage that teams don't want.

Edit- I may be wrong, but wasn't he also Mike McKenzie's agent at the time he demanded a trade?

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Briggs is a true star. I have been worrying that GB may take a stab at him. Hawk as SAM, Briggs Will, and Barnett as Mike, would be a huge upgrade IMO. I think that Hawk would be a huge upgrade over Poppinga covering the TE and blowing up runs. I think that Hawk may be a tad bit better of a tackler that Briggs, BUT I think taht Briggs makes more impact plays.

The 7 Million that Briggs got was becasue he was Franchised. I dont think that he is going to get that much in a mujltiyear contract.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance is a pretty solid Linebacker, but he is going to want a long term deal with a lot of Guaranteed money. He is young so you can recoup that investment over time. I however believe the packers would be better off if they attempted to draft more young guys on Defense. One of the main reasons the Packer defense was solid this year was the rotation of Lineman that has been built up over the last few years. I would think the same should be true of line backers. Where the packers pick (#30 as I recall). Its highly possible that in the 1st or 2nd Round that we can get a solid Corner back/Safety and a line backer. This will enable them to develop some youth and begin taking care of the long term issues. Let's be honest the defensive backfield is getting old IMO, and while Briggs might be a good fit here, he has to come at the right price.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance is a pretty solid Linebacker, but he is going to want a long term deal with a lot of Guaranteed money. He is young so you can recoup that investment over time. I however believe the packers would be better off if they attempted to draft more young guys on Defense. One of the main reasons the Packer defense was solid this year was the rotation of Lineman that has been built up over the last few years. I would think the same should be true of line backers. Where the packers pick (#30 as I recall). Its highly possible that in the 1st or 2nd Round that we can get a solid Corner back/Safety and a line backer. This will enable them to develop some youth and begin taking care of the long term issues. Let's be honest the defensive backfield is getting old IMO, and while Briggs might be a good fit here, he has to come at the right price.

And that right price with Rosenhaus as his agent is not very likely.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rosenhaus is a despicable guy, but a damn good agent.

He gets his guys PAID, but in the process ****** off organizations and a countless number of fans.

Forget about Javon, Drew Rosenhaus would not think twice about negotiating with GB if it means he could get more money or a better situation for his client.

Briggs may take less money to come to GB if it means a shot at a ring and getting to play the Bears twice a year...

My call would be sending a 5th round pick to the Jets for Jonathan Vilma. He's fallen out of favor and is a beast WHEN HEALTHY...

Ted will trade picks for good prospects (see Ryan Grant).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wouldn't happen in my opinion though after watching the Super Bowl, I'm not sure I'd try and predict anything Briggs will want a lot of money and I don't see the Packers moving Hawk to Strongside linebacker because he has so much potential on the weak side.

The one positive spin you have if you really like this idea is Ted Thompson was a linebacker for the Houston Oilers and based on his drafts, I get the hunch he has a soft spot for that position. My point would be is that I think he'll take a risk at that position and sleep easier rather than spending big money on say a running back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts