LaFluer Appreciation Thread

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched him while he was in Tennessee, and there were several things that he was really good at and have translated to this team.

His rehearsed play calls are always very good and Tennessee was one of the best in the league at scoring on the first drive, which we're seeing here. He's also very good at game planning and coaching against good defenses. The # of points Tennessee scored against Philadelphia and Dallas are about right in line with what GB did, and they did a number on NE (which is very encouraging moving forward).

He's also great at getting a lot out of the players that he has. Some of the players who had big games and moments for him last year are more or less MIA now under a new OC in TN. He seems to know exactly what every player is good at and how to translate that to the field, and how to make some lesser known guys look really good.

It was rough in the beginning,but 28 PPG over the past 3 contests against 3 talented defenses is very encouraging, especially since Adams was out during a good portion of that time and Rodgers hasn't needed to be super man. It's been told that this offense takes about a year and a half to master for the QB, and we clearly could upgrade some of the receiving talent. I think this could be a special offense when everything falls in place.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we simultaneously start the "Fire LaFluer!" thread so that it has its roots all the way back in 2019?

H

HardRightEdge

While basking in the warm glow of a 4-1 record, especially given the low bar of the last two seasons, some enthusiasm is appropriate. The test will come in how he responds to adversity. That is inevitable, sooner or later.

The thing I like best about him so far is that he's flexible, not dogmatic with respect to scheme. The Packers could not run the ball against Philly so he gave Rodgers the ball. The outside zone was a mess, so he went successfully to inside zone against Dallas. There were still a few outside zone runs against Dallas and they still looked bad, but not a run game staple. He even suggested after than game that the O-Line personnel might not be adaptable to the outside zone. He's not a guy to beat his head against the wall.

Given the offense's performance in first halfs, so far he's shown a high level of game planning. Mid-game counter-adjustments to defensive adjustments remain a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early. Our passing game is still trying to find it's foot and AR is still playing well below his own thresholds.

I'd rather appreciate Mike Pettine more at this point in time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early. Our passing game is still trying to find it's foot and AR is still playing well below his own thresholds.

Appreciation is not crowning him or christening him the next Lombardi....merely showing love. First year head coach and is sitting 4-1...I can appreciate that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pettine has me worried. Absolutely terrible job vs Philadelphia and allowed Dallas to make a blowout a competitive game. Rodgers not playing up to what we expect of him doesn't worry me and only makes me believe that the offense can be great once he does and we have better pieces around him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i said during preseason that i think MLF's personality isn't strong enough to get rodgers to change his approach. that i didn't think he had a chance. after this weeks comments from rodgers maybe MLF's made a breakthrough. i hope so. we'll see. only time will tell but the dal game may have been a turning point. keep weeding out the mccarthy O from the mish mash O we've got. rodgers playing small ball last week was just what the doctor ordered. maybe by seasons end they'll be running the complete MLF O as it's designed.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
i said during preseason that i think MLF's personality isn't strong enough to get rodgers to change his approach. that i didn't think he had a chance. after this weeks comments from rodgers maybe MLF's made a breakthrough. i hope so. we'll see. only time will tell but the dal game may have been a turning point. keep weeding out the mccarthy O from the mish mash O we've got. rodgers playing small ball last week was just what the doctor ordered. maybe by seasons end they'll be running the complete MLF O as it's designed.
Or maybe Rodgers has bought in from the beginning but you’re so dug in on your foolish anti-Rodgers agenda that you cannot help yourself but to continue your baseless claim that he hasn’t bought in from the beginning.

Rodgers and LaFleur played to the run game and played “small ball” as you call it because of Davante’s injury, and because it proved to be a vulnerability of the Cowboys, just the same way that they played to the passing game against Philly. Why? Because Philly is awful in coverage. And because Philly stuffed our running game from the opening kickoff until the final whistle.

What this shows you is that the Packers are going to attack whatever is the perceived, or known, weakness of their opponent. Rodgers has co-signed on that from the beginning. He’s told everyone from the beginning that he’s all in for that. That he’s all in on LaFleur. That he’s all in to winning. LaFleur has echoed the same sentiments.

But let’s just sweep aside what both men have said. Let’s sweep aside the 4-1 record. And let’s say that just because the Packers ran the ball (effectively, and stuck with it) against Dallas that Rodgers has all of a sudden had an epiphany in the past week.

Just stop it. They’ve told you from the beginning. The fact that you’re trying to insinuate a mid season change in approach is because you are totally incapable of showing the slightest bit of objectivity toward Aaron Rodgers. And it makes you look like an absolute buffoon.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pettine has me worried. Absolutely terrible job vs Philadelphia and allowed Dallas to make a blowout a competitive game.

The Packers defense has definitely performed at a higher level than in past seasons over the first five games. There's no doubt they have to clean up some stuff (stopping the run, prevent big plays) but overall fans should be enthusiastic about Pettine's unit.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense has definitely performed at a higher level than in past seasons over the first five games. There's no doubt they have to clean up some stuff (stopping the run, prevent big plays) but overall fans should be enthusiastic about Pettine's unit.
I don't think Pettine deserves as much credit as The FO's commitment fixing the defense. This is the same DC who was around last year when the defense was bad.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Pettine deserves as much credit as The FO's commitment fixing the defense. This is the same DC who was around last year when the defense was bad.
but last years D was old, hurt, and less talented. scheme can only do so much. you gotta have the horses. they're now younger, a lot more talented, and as of right now...in better health.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both the Smiths are on course to having a career year and are more productive than ever before and I think Pettine deserves credit for that.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe Rodgers has bought in from the beginning but you’re so dug in on your foolish anti-Rodgers agenda that you cannot help yourself but to continue your baseless claim that he hasn’t bought in from the beginning.

Rodgers and LaFleur played to the run game and played “small ball” as you call it because of Davante’s injury, and because it proved to be a vulnerability of the Cowboys, just the same way that they played to the passing game against Philly. Why? Because Philly is awful in coverage. And because Philly stuffed our running game from the opening kickoff until the final whistle.

What this shows you is that the Packers are going to attack whatever is the perceived, or known, weakness of their opponent. Rodgers has co-signed on that from the beginning. He’s told everyone from the beginning that he’s all in for that. That he’s all in on LaFleur. That he’s all in to winning. LaFleur has echoed the same sentiments.

But let’s just sweep aside what both men have said. Let’s sweep aside the 4-1 record. And let’s say that just because the Packers ran the ball (effectively, and stuck with it) against Dallas that Rodgers has all of a sudden had an epiphany in the past week.

Just stop it. They’ve told you from the beginning. The fact that you’re trying to insinuate a mid season change in approach is because you are totally incapable of showing the slightest bit of objectivity toward Aaron Rodgers. And it makes you look like an absolute buffoon.
Aw, man, c'mon... Give the guy a break. He was talking about this scenario flipping around. Yes, some of us fans couldn't buy that diatribe, but, one hell of a lot of others did, and it was the prevailing commentary in the media (like, onslaught level) as we built up to and through the first part of the season. I'll add, I was confused on many occasions seeing the body language and exchanges between both Rodgers and LaFleur at times the first few weeks of the season. Personally, I felt they were cool with each other, but both incredibly competitive, driven people who wanted to succeed, so I didn't give it a whole lot. However, it did give me - some - pause...

Why keep pounding someone when they are clearly showing a change of heart?

Personally, that quote by AR after the DAL game was one of my favorite quotes from Rodgers to date. The guy acknowledges what we all were hoping for with the LaFleur hire, and how their relationship together as HC & QB would work. Super encouraging stuff. I appreciated gbgary posting that. I've always found it best, through many, many, many forum experiences since the very first ever established at JSO, to keep it about the content, rather than the poster... WE ARE ALL FANS, together, of the GREEN BAY PACKERS.

Sometimes we get stuff right, sometimes we get stuff wrong, or really wrong. We all have our own **** going on in our lives too, stuff you cannot know from just reading a post, things that might change your own thoughts on a poster. In the end, I appreciate all of the perspectives. Makes for a more well-rounded opinion/approach.

Like it or not, it is a mid-season public revelation, as stated by Aaron Rodgers himself, for the first time that I have seen... And that is some freaking welcome news.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Personally, that quote by AR after the DAL game was one of my favorite quotes from Rodgers to date. The guy acknowledges what we all were hoping for with the LaFleur hire, and how their relationship together as HC & QB would work. Super encouraging stuff. I appreciated gbgary posting that. I've always found it best, through many, many, many forum experiences since the very first ever established at JSO, to keep it about the content, rather than the poster... WE ARE ALL FANS, together, of the GREEN BAY PACKERS.
@gbgary has an agenda. Notice how he's never complimentary of Rodgers. Always quick to point out the negatives. There's a difference between objective analysis, and continuous drivel. When it comes to Rodgers, all gb has to offer is drivel.

Until he heard what Rodgers said in his postgame presser this past Sunday, he would pick literally a sentence or two out of a 15 minute presser that he would spin into a negative in order to promote his anti-Rodgers garbage. Ignoring of course the other 14+ minute where he compliments his teammates, talks about how they do things outside of the facility together, the extra practice sessions they have on the side, phone conversations with teammates, welcoming teammates to his hotel room for after hours playbook study, all of complimentary things he's said about LaFleur and the way he's commanded the respect of the team, etc, etc, etc.

All of these things Rodgers has continuously done. But he ignores all of that. He doesn't want to compliment him on that. He doesn't want to point it out. Because he is incapable of praising him when warranted.

And he rarely responds when others call him out because he knows it's clown behavior and he doesn't have anything to counter with. It's agenda-driven. He just simply doesn't like Aaron Rodgers, and his commentary on him is a direct reflection of that.

And I'm not about to let him get away with that garbage, even if he wants to duck and hide every time someone calls him on it.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@gbgary has an agenda. Notice how he's never complimentary of Rodgers. Always quick to point out the negatives. There's a difference between objective analysis, and continuous drivel. When it comes to Rodgers, all gb has to offer is drivel.

Until he heard what Rodgers said in his postgame presser this past Sunday, he would pick literally a sentence or two out of a 15 minute presser that he would spin into a negative in order to promote his anti-Rodgers garbage. Ignoring of course the other 14+ minute where he compliments his teammates, talks about how they do things outside of the facility together, the extra practice sessions they have on the side, phone conversations with teammates, welcoming teammates to his hotel room for after hours playbook study, all of complimentary things he's said about LaFleur and the way he's commanded the respect of the team, etc, etc, etc.

All of these things Rodgers has continuously done. But he ignores all of that. He doesn't want to compliment him on that. He doesn't want to point it out. Because he is incapable of praising him when warranted.

And he rarely responds when others call him out because he knows it's clown behavior and he doesn't have anything to counter with. It's agenda-driven. He just simply doesn't like Aaron Rodgers, and his commentary on him is a direct reflection of that.

And I'm not about to let him get away with that garbage, even if he wants to duck and hide every time someone calls him on it.
Seriously, I hadn't noticed. I still shared my thoughts the way I've seen things here since jumping into this forum a few months ago, or less? Hmm. I have to say, I've enjoyed the people and perspectives here as opposed to other forums that I've been a part of. I dig that most people have a good sense of what is going on with the team and the game itself, and I'm not joking. This really is one of the best places I've encountered in all those years, since about 1994...

It is easy to pound people from a keyboard, (you know what I mean, the vitriol of the keyboard warrior stuff - and BELIEVE ME, I've pounded away with some of the BEST of them toe to toe for years - guilty as charged!), doesn't mean it helps anything outside of the space between your own ears... And, you have to admit, things got pretty F'd up with Rodgers under McCarthy. There was a lot of crazy **** going on between those two, adversely affecting Rodgers' play.

I'm SO glad to see some confirmation from Rodgers himself that they are on the same page, or at least have diligently been working together to be on the same page, in earnest.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all a sham. I always get good sources in local pub on Friday night's and the grapevine says they are at it hammers and tongs in the dressing room. AR beat MLF in a long **** contest after Cowboys game. MLF has challenged them to a beer drinking contest after the Lions game. Fingers crossed.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For myself? I had been wanting a coaching change for years. Always kind of felt McCarthy was the blind squirrel who found the nut... Maybe not in 2011-12, but soon thereafter as the BS wore on.

I've been wanting a HC who would provide a solid ground attack. Realized it was the only way we could get the dogs off of Aaron Rodgers. Also felt it would keep him healthy, or healthier, reducing the amount of risk and pounding he took from opposing DEs with their ears pinned back in pass rush 90% of the time. On top of that, it keeps the clock turning, and potent opposing offenses on their own sidelines, while resting your D. Makes perfect sense and pretty basic stuff. McCarthy couldn't get it. Self proclaimed QB guru, was enamored with his own numbers through the air. Mike Sherman suffered the same thing. Both left countless Super Bowls in the waste bin.

I freaking love what LaFleur is doing, and I hope we keep pounding the rock and winning. Can't help but win with a successful ground game, and a QB as talented as AR - and a Defense.

We aren't even through Game 6, and I can already see positive changes here, one's that can really make a difference when it comes to reaching our ultimate goal of adding more Lombardi Trophies.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all a sham. I always get good sources in local pub on Friday night's and the grapevine says they are at it hammers and tongs in the dressing room. AR beat MLF in a long **** contest after Cowboys game. MLF has challenged them to a beer drinking contest after the Lions game. Fingers crossed.
Idiots. You do the beer chugging contest FIRST. Then the pissing contest. Sheesh. Rookies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the Smiths are on course to having a career year and are more productive than ever before and I think Pettine deserves credit for that.
I'm not saying that he brings nothing to the table, but we've have one legitimate challenge this year and that went poorly. And his inability to keep points off the board when we were well in control is another concern. Racking up sacks vs suspect OCs and QBs is great and all, but it would be nice to see that translate against a real offense.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that he brings nothing to the table, but we've have one legitimate challenge this year and that went poorly. And his inability to keep points off the board when we were well in control is another concern. Racking up sacks vs suspect OCs and QBs is great and all, but it would be nice to see that translate against a real offense.
Neither O nor D is a finished product yet. I think I've seen more improvement in D than in O. Run D and yards in air for O both needs to improve a bit more. Hopefully with Burks back D would be solid. Fingers crossed on O.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well by your own admission, there's only been one legitimate test so I think your conclusion is a little premature. Also consider that the Eagles were an extremely desperate football team that had to have that win. They needed it worse than the Packers, and they played like it.

And even though the Packers did give up 34 to the Eagles, they are still 8th in the NFL in points allowed. That speaks to how well the defense played in the other 4 games, albeit against questionable offensive teams. That's what you're supposed to do though against those units.

Regardless, the results show that this is the best the Packers defense has played in years. You'd be hard pressed to disagree with that.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly speaking we have a jinx against bird teams. The only other team who we are likely to have a trap game are the Falcons.

#BlameTheBirds

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been told that this offense takes about a year and a half to master for the QB

Where does that come from? MLF never stayed with a team for longer than a year as OC. I'd also be concerned with an offense that takes that long to master. The Rams seemed to have Sean McVay's new offense mastered immediately when he took over.