LaFluer Appreciation Thread

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that he brings nothing to the table, but we've have one legitimate challenge this year and that went poorly. And his inability to keep points off the board when we were well in control is another concern. Racking up sacks vs suspect OCs and QBs is great and all, but it would be nice to see that translate against a real offense.
Is your opinion of Belichek's defense also in wait and see mode?

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like ARod12 could be having the same change of heart at this point in his career that Elway did towards the end when the Denver run game/zone blocking scheme started to really put the team in a consistent spot to win? He still had gamebreaking talent, and not only with his arm (which was world class to his last day) but he could still pull it down and run late in his career too (although he was more selective about when he did it).

The switch to Shanahan for Elway is another interesting comparison for me- he had Dan Reeves for a lot of years the way Rodgers had McCarthy, and then Shanahan really helped Elway make a shift that ultimately helped Elway and the team realize consistent, elite success.

Not saying the situation is identical, but I do find some of the commonalities fascinating. I think that Lafleur and Shanahan share the ability to adjust to situations and opponents too.

There are worse things that could happen than Rodgers becoming wickedly efficient while less prolific as the offense rounds into something more multifaceted than him making ridiculous playground plays. Just my two bits.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been told that this offense takes about a year and a half to master for the QB
Rodgers is a bright guy and a quick study. He won on Jeopardy after all. If it takes a year and a half to master, Rodgers will have it down by playoff time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've been wanting a HC who would provide a solid ground attack. Realized it was the only way we could get the dogs off of Aaron Rodgers. Also felt it would keep him healthy, or healthier, reducing the amount of risk and pounding he took from opposing DEs with their ears pinned back in pass rush 90% of the time. On top of that, it keeps the clock turning, and potent opposing offenses on their own sidelines, while resting your D. Makes perfect sense and pretty basic stuff. McCarthy couldn't get it. Self proclaimed QB guru, was enamored with his own numbers through the air. Mike Sherman suffered the same thing. Both left countless Super Bowls in the waste bin.

I freaking love what LaFleur is doing, and I hope we keep pounding the rock and winning. Can't help but win with a successful ground game, and a QB as talented as AR - and a Defense.

There's no doubt the Packers benefit from having a decent rushing offense but they will continue to be centered around throwing the ball with Rodgers behind center.

While they are more balanced under MLF they still only rank 18th in the league in run play percentage.

I'm not saying that he brings nothing to the table, but we've have one legitimate challenge this year and that went poorly. And his inability to keep points off the board when we were well in control is another concern. Racking up sacks vs suspect OCs and QBs is great and all, but it would be nice to see that translate against a real offense.

Aside of the Eagles the Packers defense held all of their opponents under their season average in points scored. In addition the Cowboys offense is better than you give them credit for.

Where does that come from? MLF never stayed with a team for longer than a year as OC. I'd also be concerned with an offense that takes that long to master. The Rams seemed to have Sean McVay's new offense mastered immediately when he took over.

The Packers offense has steadily improved over the course of the season. If they continue moving along the unit will be dangerous entering the playoffs.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like ARod12 could be having the same change of heart at this point in his career that Elway did towards the end when the Denver run game/zone blocking scheme started to really put the team in a consistent spot to win? He still had gamebreaking talent, and not only with his arm (which was world class to his last day) but he could still pull it down and run late in his career too (although he was more selective about when he did it).

The switch to Shanahan for Elway is another interesting comparison for me- he had Dan Reeves for a lot of years the way Rodgers had McCarthy, and then Shanahan really helped Elway make a shift that ultimately helped Elway and the team realize consistent, elite success.

Not saying the situation is identical, but I do find some of the commonalities fascinating. I think that Lafleur and Shanahan share the ability to adjust to situations and opponents too.

There are worse things that could happen than Rodgers becoming wickedly efficient while less prolific as the offense rounds into something more multifaceted than him making ridiculous playground plays. Just my two bits.
I could not agree more. Well said.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers benefit from having a decent rushing offense but they will continue to be centered around throwing the ball with Rodgers behind center.

While they are more balanced under MLF they still only rank 18th in the league in run play percentage.
Through 5 games.... Holy crap. They've worked their way from the bottom of the NFL to #18 in 5 games while working their way into a completely new system. I'd say that is pretty freaking significant, given they struggled immensely to get their new run blocking sets together games 1-3.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that is pretty freaking significant, given they struggled immensely to get their new run blocking sets together games 1-3.
To my uneducated eyes, their run blocking does look better. But I don't know if I ever see this team as being a dominant running team. I'd love to see it, and if it happens LaFluer will truly deserve some kudos. But it's almost as important that they're not just abandoning the run like McCarthy used to do.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw a chart which measures actual offense and defense performance vs expected, and Green Bay obviously performed well in the defensive metric. But they are leading the league in offense per this metric . All 5 opponents they've faced are top 10 in defensive YPG allowed, 4 of them top 10 in points allowed. 24 PPG scored and edging their way into the top 10 while learning a new system and facing some of the injury setbacks they've had is great.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it's almost as important that they're not just abandoning the run like McCarthy used to do.
We ran a lot when we had Lacy and Starks (plus Rip ofc) iirc. After that we just didn't have any proper RBs till Jones and Williams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Through 5 games.... Holy crap. They've worked their way from the bottom of the NFL to #18 in 5 games while working their way into a completely new system. I'd say that is pretty freaking significant, given they struggled immensely to get their new run blocking sets together games 1-3.

I fully expected the Packers to run the ball more often under MLF. Their offense will continue to be centered around throwing the ball as long as Rodgers is starting though.

That's a league wide trend by the way as currently only two teams have attempted to run the ball more often than to throw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw a chart which measures actual offense and defense performance vs expected, and Green Bay obviously performed well in the defensive metric. But they are leading the league in offense per this metric . All 5 opponents they've faced are top 10 in defensive YPG allowed, 4 of them top 10 in points allowed. 24 PPG scored and edging their way into the top 10 while learning a new system and facing some of the injury setbacks they've had is great.
Absolutely. Really impressive start, given such a learning period.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We ran a lot when we had Lacy and Starks (plus Rip ofc) iirc. After that we just didn't have any proper RBs till Jones and Williams.
Last season, we were averaging over 7 ypc v. NO in the 1st half. McCarthy stopped running in 2nd half, and down we went, with Jones & Williams. McCarthy was an idiot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last season, we were averaging over 7 ypc v. NO in the 1st half. McCarthy stopped running in 2nd half, and down we went, with Jones & Williams. McCarthy was an idiot.

For the record, the Packers didn't play New Orleans last season.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was that TWO seasons ago already? Holy crap. It was abysmal. Sitting in a downpour. We were winning. Everything was going our way that first half. Then we stopped running.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to go back and check the play by play. the only 2 points we seemed pass heavy were to end the first half with 1:23 on the clock and staring at our own 19. and to end the game, which coincidently followed a 3 straight run series that ended in a punt.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, it was off the top of my head, man.

I just recall sitting there, soaked, but GB was crushing NO in the first half, and Jones & Williams had over 6 YPC. I remember see that stat on the scoreboard. Then we stopped running and the wheels fell off. I think that was to end the half. Brees put on a clinic the rest of the way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio, it was off the top of my head, man.

I just recall sitting there, soaked, but GB was crushing NO in the first half, and Jones & Williams had over 6 YPC. I remember see that stat on the scoreboard. Then we stopped running and the wheels fell off. I think that was to end the half. Brees put on a clinic the rest of the way.
I don't think WIlliams played either :) at least not according to play by play. We didn't really stop running though. You have to be able to pass sometimes, the only time I saw what may be considered pass "heavy" was end of the first with 81 yards to go and about 1:20 so not a running situation. The end of the game when we were losing and need yards and points fast, and maybe 1 drive in the 2nd half where we ran, passed and had PI and passed on the next 1st down and were sacked setting up 2nd and 18. Not a running down.

Other than that, I think we were very balanced on the play by play, but sometimes situations require something different.

anyway, to get it back to MLF, I like what I've seen so far. I knew it would take time for the offense to get going and he has a lot to learn about being a headcoach and managing the team. Lots going on and he seems to making progress that we can see with the team weekly.

I think the team and MLF are still far from "finished" products and there will always be adaptations necessary. You don't win as long as MM did by being an idiot and being 4-1 is nice, but at this point that's not even sniffing the success we've had here over the past decade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was that TWO seasons ago already? Holy crap. It was abysmal. Sitting in a downpour. We were winning. Everything was going our way that first half. Then we stopped running.

Actually the Packers had a pretty balanced offense during that game.

First half: 15 passes, 15 runs
Second half: 10 passes, 9 runs

The offense just didn't execute as well in the third and fourth quarter anymore.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the Packers had a pretty balanced offense during that game.

First half: 15 passes, 15 runs
Second half: 10 passes, 9 runs

The offense just didn't execute as well in the third and fourth quarter anymore.
You clearly can see -when- the momentum shifted. No?

Reaction score
I freaking love what LaFleur is doing, and I hope we keep pounding the rock and winning. Can't help but win with a successful ground game, and a QB as talented as AR - and a Defense.
What’s impressive is that we all know Rodgers can manage a running game like we recently saw. But he’s also like a “wild card” that can pull out a game in the air when needed. My only concern is he’s light on weapons, but we also haven’t seen our full array receivers yet either.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s impressive is that we all know Rodgers can manage a running game like we recently saw. But he’s also like a “wild card” that can pull out a game in the air when needed. My only concern is he’s light on weapons, but we also haven’t seen our full array receivers yet either.
No doubt, OldSchool101. I could not agree more. He milked the last few minutes of that game like a Wisconsin dairy farmer... What an awesome sight.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is impressive how the Offense developed under MLF. Who could have known that a balanced and effective rungame benefits the team?
Now imagine rodgers having more weapons at WR, outside of Adams ofc. Its no suprise that Rodgers as a game manager works really well. But the biggest improvement is the locker room. We didnt see many things from the locker room before, but the teamspirit feels so different. MLF is really good in bringing the team together and motivate them. I love the locker room speeches they released this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's new, it should be this way. It was a relief for players when Holmgren was gone too and we were coming off 2 superbowls and a Jerry rice "non" fumble loss in the NFCCG. Imagine the relief after 2 seasons of no playoffs :)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts