LaFleur Is Smart To Change Things Up

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Recently Matt LaFleur announced he would be changing the weekly in-season practice schedule. McCarthy had the brilliant idea to have the last practice of the week on Saturdays. LaFleur is going back to the more traditional schedule of Friday being the last practice day of the week before a Sunday game. LaFleur would then have just a walk-thru on Saturday.

LaFleur also is going to be practicing against another team in training camp. This is something that has not been done in Green Bay since 2005.

I see both of these changes as positives. What say you?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM may aid he would constantly tweak things each season regarding practice schedules. Not sure what is best. Probably depends on the content or teaching style so maybe one schedule better for each coach. One schedule does not fit all?

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MM may aid he would constantly tweak things each season regarding practice schedules. Not sure what is best. Probably depends on the content or teaching style so maybe one schedule better for each coach. One schedule does not fit all?
For the last 6 years McCarthy had Friday as a rest and recovery day and Saturday as the last practice of the week for a Sunday game.

"Tweaking" was done during MNF or TNF weeks and when the team was dealing with a massive amounts of injuries McCarthy would sneak in extra rest days here and there.

If LaFleur also increases the playing time for starters during the pre-season it would be a positive. I don't want starters playing a ton in pre-season games, but I don't want some starters not playing at all or one series in a whole pre-season.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A change might help shake some of the older players out of their comfort zone.

I wonder if LaFleur will play Rodgers any more in the preseason than McCarthy did?

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A change might help shake some of the older players out of their comfort zone.

I wonder if LaFleur will play Rodgers any more in the preseason than McCarthy did?
I think he will. Especially with a new offense this pre-season. I am totally for being cautious with your QB in the pre-season, but you don't need to wrap him in bubble wrap and put him away 'till September either.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the walk-through on sat thing seems like it might benefit them...tired legs, etc. scrimmaging another team seems like a good way to get someone hurt. maybe it's to better evaluate guys? idk

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will. Especially with a new offense this pre-season. I am totally for being cautious with your QB in the pre-season, but you don't need to wrap him in bubble wrap and put him away 'till September either.

I wouldn't play AR12 at all in the preseason. There's no need. All the reps for the backups and prospects.

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't play AR12 at all in the preseason. There's no need. All the reps for the backups and prospects.
You could make a case for that when he was running the same offense for over a decade.

You will for sure see Aaron playing more this pre-season than under McCarthy. Next year once we are a year into LaFleur's offense and humming you can sit Aaron down for most pre-season games.

This pre-season, you be cautious with him, but you have him out there for limited action.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could make a case for that when he was running the same offense for over a decade.

You will for sure see Aaron playing more this pre-season than under McCarthy. Next year once we are a year into LaFleur's offense and humming you can sit Aaron down for most pre-season games.

This pre-season, you be cautious with him, but you have him out there for limited action.

How about this. We put in our backup offense early when the opponents play their #1 D. That really gives our backups a challenge. Then we put in our #1 offense against the scrub defenders where we have a better chance to protect Rodgers and let our offense get used to the new system.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think practicing on Friday again this season instead of Saturday will make a huge difference.

I'm a bit worried about the increased injury risk by practicing with another team though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about this. We put in our backup offense early when the opponents play their #1 D. That really gives our backups a challenge. Then we put in our #1 offense against the scrub defenders where we have a better chance to protect Rodgers and let our offense get used to the new system.
But... But that's backwards...:)

Besides, what if the scrubs know just enough to be dangerous?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is a terrible idea. We've seen Rodgers start off slow in recent years and a lot of it had to do with very little work in the preseason. And that's with a system that he knew inside and out.

With a totally new offensive system, I feel it would be a catastrophic mistake for Rodgers to sit out the entire preseason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a terrible idea. We've seen Rodgers start off slow in recent years and a lot of it had to do with very little work in the preseason. And that's with a system that he knew inside and out.

With a totally new offensive system, I feel it would be a catastrophic mistake for Rodgers to sit out the entire preseason.
Not to mention, I hope we have some new offensive linemen that will need to practice.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently Matt LaFleur announced he would be changing the weekly in-season practice schedule. McCarthy had the brilliant idea to have the last practice of the week on Saturdays. LaFleur is going back to the more traditional schedule of Friday being the last practice day of the week before a Sunday game. LaFleur would then have just a walk-thru on Saturday.

LaFleur also is going to be practicing against another team in training camp. This is something that has not been done in Green Bay since 2005.

I see both of these changes as positives. What say you?

Different coaches have different coaching styles....I see this as neither good nor bad, just different. What will ultimately be important is the end-product on the field, and there are a wide array of variables that will determine that.

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Different coaches have different coaching styles....I see this as neither good nor bad, just different. What will ultimately be important is the end-product on the field, and there are a wide array of variables that will determine that.
I said I see both changes as positives. I didn't say they alone would be the determining factors of success or failure in the LaFleur era.

I do like most of the buttons LaFleur has pushed so far.

LaFleur addresses the full team for the first time on April 8th. It may not seem like much, but I think that initial speech will be one more important piece of many in getting this thing rolling towards another Lombardi.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of it being "new" and maybe keeping guys more excited i don't think there is much to be gained by it. Hopefully after 10 years he's trying to figure out how to keep practices fresh too, it will mean he's been successful. But i don't think there's a significant difference in calling one thing a practice over a walk thru and on which day. It's all generally the same. Go over game plans, work on it, be physically and mentally as ready as possible. Go play the game.

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Outside of it being "new" and maybe keeping guys more excited i don't think there is much to be gained by it. Hopefully after 10 years he's trying to figure out how to keep practices fresh too, it will mean he's been successful. But i don't think there's a significant difference in calling one thing a practice over a walk thru and on which day. It's all generally the same. Go over game plans, work on it, be physically and mentally as ready as possible. Go play the game.
There is a huge difference between a full speed practice on a Saturday and a walk-thru. It's not just that LaFleur calls it a walk-thru. McCarthy used Friday as a rest and recovery day and had a actual practice on Saturdays.

LaFleur will go back to the more traditional approach of having Friday as the last practice day of the week.

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think practicing on Friday again this season instead of Saturday will make a huge difference.

I'm a bit worried about the increased injury risk by practicing with another team though.

Teams do joint training camp practices all the time, I highly doubt it leads to an increase in injuries.

D

Deleted member 6794

Teams do joint training camp practices all the time, I highly doubt it leads to an increase in injuries.

I don't have any data supporting my claim but in my opinion there's more risk involved practicing with another team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between a full speed practice on a Saturday and a walk-thru. It's not just that LaFleur calls it a walk-thru. McCarthy used Friday as a rest and recovery day and had a actual practice on Saturdays.

LaFleur will go back to the more traditional approach of having Friday as the last practice day of the week.
considering a regular practices are mostly shorts and helmets these days, i don't see much difference. I doubt MM had people cracking heads the day before a game.

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
considering a regular practices are mostly shorts and helmets these days, i don't see much difference. I doubt MM had people cracking heads the day before a game.
So then you are saying McCarthy practiced full only on Weds and Thurs during the week because there was no practice Friday and you are claiming to know that Saturday was in shorts and helmets and not full speed.

It is hilarious that some on this board are so afraid to look foolish here that they will NEVER admit the slightest mistake they made on something.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then you are saying McCarthy practiced full only on Weds and Thurs during the week because there was no practice Friday and you are claiming to know that Saturday was in shorts and helmets and not full speed.

It is hilarious that some on this board are so afraid to look foolish here that they will NEVER admit the slightest mistake they made on something.
WTF are you talking about. I don't know what they did in practice. Do YOU? all I know is the CBA greatly restricts what they can do. I don't care if they were in shorts, in pads, in helmets and shorts or in frilly lace adorned with sequins. But I do find it highly unlikely they used Saturday as the day for full contact practices the day before a game.

I find it highly unlikely that the Saturday practice was any more than putting the finishing touches on their plan, and on a day when they might finally have everyone out of the training room. Considering MM and staffs propensity to keep people out and keep them healthy, I would consider myself foolish to think he actually held regular contact practices the day before a game.

whatever they want to call a practice where there isn't contact is what they want to call the practice or walk thru, but they're not much different IMO. Tell me how they are?

OP
OP
InGuteWeTrust

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are the one claiming to know that "regular practice are normally shorts and helmets these days" lol

Wednesday and Thursday are your heaviest practice days during a normal Sunday game week. McCarthy made Fridays no practice and had a full speed but shorter than a Weds or Thurs practice on Saturdays.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said they aren't much more than shorts and helmet practices, yes I did. You ever been to watch any? I don't care what you want to call it, I'm confident in saying their "full" practices had less contact than my 3rd grade games during recess.

Having guys wear pads and run thru some plays isn't anything to be concerned with. I don't know how I can be anymore clear. I don't care what they were wearing on Saturdays, they were doing nothing more than running thru plays and when that's all they're doing, I'm not concerned. I've seen them practice, to think they're getting worn down is laughable

Members online

Latest posts