Ladarius Green. Remember wanting him?

D

Deleted member 6794

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/11/when-will-ladarius-green-join-the-steelers-if-ever/

There are also some reports being floated around that he could retire due to on-going headaches. We might not ever see this guy play a down for the Steelers according to some of these anonymous sources.

There's no reason to bring up Ladarius Green once a month because he's currently on the PUP list.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/free-agency-tes.65217/page-12#post-671795

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But it does explain why the Chargers may have not resigned a young up and coming TE in favor of Gates, a popular veteran with one foot out the door to retirement.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it does explain why the Chargers may have not resigned a young up and coming TE in favor of Gates, a popular veteran with one foot out the door to retirement.

Chargers know what the Steelers are just now finding out I bet. Also, other teams doing their due diligence on him. This is looking more and more like a "chance" signing by Pittsburgh (ie they knew his issues, and risked it) but it may not pay off it looks like.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no reason to bring up Ladarius Green once a month because he's currently on the PUP list.

Was new news to me LOL I'm glad someone pointed out to me that I was an idiot for hoping the Packers would sign Green :D But as pointed out in another thread on this subject (which I just found), it goes to show you that a FA can bring those unknowns to the table, whereas signing your own, you probably have more information.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was new news to me LOL I'm glad someone pointed out to me that I was an idiot for hoping the Packers would sign Green :D But as pointed out in another thread on this subject (which I just found), it goes to show you that a FA can bring those unknowns to the table, whereas signing your own, you probably have more information.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Green he doesn't have any concussion like symptoms anymore and is currently on the PUP list because of an ankle injury that hasn't healed as expected. I think it's way too early to make a fair evaluation of the signing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why not?

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-21#post-656580

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-19#post-656437

I did a search for Ladarius posted by you and got 46 hits. I read a couple and you were very condemning of TT and questioning his abilities as a GM. Now that he is out, I think its only fair that your credibility should be questioned a few times a week for your opinion on this matter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not?

I did a search for Ladarius posted by you and got 46 hits. I read a couple and you were very condemning of TT and questioning his abilities as a GM. Now that he is out, I think its only fair that your credibility should be questioned a few times a week for your opinion on this matter.
Agree. Words have meaning.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
For some, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Free Agency: imo, one should always ask the question, why didn't their original team re-sign them?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree with that when he actually does something on the field.

I guess from the simple standpoint that he is on the field makes him a better value as long as he isn't hurtingteh team while there with penalties and drops and such. I mean so far he hasn't been much more effective
For some, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Free Agency: imo, one should always ask the question, why didn't their original team re-sign them?

The grass is always greener in the other guys pipe?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not?

Injuries happen in the NFL all the time. Green starting the season on the PUP list doesn't mean the signing won't work out for the Steelers in the long run. It doesn't make any sense to evaluate a move like that after one game.

There are several reasons for a team not to re-sign one of their own free agents. Those should be analyzed case-by-case.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, the Steelers are taking a $2.75 mil cap hit for Green and have nothing to show for it, while the Pack is paying just under $2.5 for Cook and have one reception for seven yards. At this point, pretty hard to argue either side of the coin.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, the Steelers are taking a $2.75 mil cap hit for Green and have nothing to show for it, while the Pack is paying just under $2.5 for Cook and have one reception for seven yards. At this point, pretty hard to argue either side of the coin.

Actually it's the Packers taking a bigger cap hit for Cook ($2.75 million) than the Steelers for Green (just under $2.5 million) this season. To be fair Pittsburgh would have to take a cap hit of a little bit over $3.5 million in dead money if they decide to release him before the start of the 2017 season though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, swapped the number while transposing. Should have stuck with my original thought of "about the same", but I figured somebody would want to argue about the spare couple of hundred thousand. :) Just meant that neither one is much a bargain, so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As someone who thought the Packers should have signed Green but was satisfied when they ultimately signed Cook, I'm comfortable saying that as the information on the 2 players stands today, "Good Choice Packers!". This wasn't Green getting hurt between the time the Steelers signed him and now, it was the Steelers signing a guy that had some medical conditions at the time. The ankle was a known condition and the headaches were an existing condition as well. How much anyone knew about the headaches, is anybody's guess. San Diego letting him walk, isn't a tell all, but you have to wonder how much they knew that other teams like the Steelers didn't.

Cook is healthy, looked good in preseason and is playing, Green isn't and there is talk about him hanging it up. I'll take that in grading the decision (assuming there was one) made by the Packers as a good one. What kind of impact either will have on the team from here on out remains to be seen.

"Green, who has not practiced yet in training camp because of recurring headaches, is considering retirement, Mike Florio of NBC Sports reports."

Another writers opinion on why Green is out:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...green-sidelined-by-headaches-not-ankle-injury

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone who thought the Packers should have signed Green but was satisfied when they ultimately signed Cook, I'm comfortable saying that as the information on the 2 players stands today, "Good Choice Packers!". This wasn't Green getting hurt between the time the Steelers signed him and now, it was the Steelers signing a guy that had some medical conditions at the time. The ankle was a known condition and the headaches were an existing condition as well. How much anyone knew about the headaches, is anybody's guess. San Diego letting him walk, isn't a tell all, but you have to wonder how much they knew that other teams like the Steelers didn't.

Cook is healthy, looked good in preseason and is playing, Green isn't and there is talk about him hanging it up. I'll take that in grading the decision (assuming there was one) made by the Packers as a good one. What kind of impact either will have on the team from here on out remains to be seen.

"Green, who has not practiced yet in training camp because of recurring headaches, is considering retirement, Mike Florio of NBC Sports reports."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...green-sidelined-by-headaches-not-ankle-injury
Better decision than signing Green? It seems that way. But the jury is out on whether or not it was a good decision. Though the staff will need to draw up plays other than screens and the run 10 yards and hug the DB routes to see what he can do.

D

Deleted member 6794

If it's true that Green hasn't been able to practice because of recurring headaches the Packers for sure made the right decision passing on him and opting to sign Cook.

I'm annoyed though that the blind Thompson supporters use Green being on the PUP list as evidence avoiding free agency is the only way to be successful and rub it into the face of posters that advocated for signing him this offseason yet completely ignore Trevathan and Freeman performing on a high level for the Bears, two players a lot of us wanted Thompson to take a look at as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm annoyed though that the blind Thompson supporters use Green being on the PUP list as evidence avoiding free agency is the only way to be successful and rub it into the face of posters that advocated for signing him this offseason yet completely ignore Trevathan and Freeman performing on a high level for the Bears, two players a lot of us wanted Thompson to take a look at as well.

I'm in the camp that this proves nothing on whether its prudent to sign a FA or not. this could have happened in reverse and it was Cook who wasn't playing and Green was. Each situation is different and should be viewed as such. All it further proves to me is that sometimes we and probably NFL teams, don't have all the information on each player from another team. While the knowledge of your own players is probably more complete.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Better decision than signing Green? It seems that way. But the jury is out on whether or not it was a good decision. Though the staff will need to draw up plays other than screens and the run 10 yards and hug the DB routes to see what he can do.

I think it was pretty obvious the Packers needed help at TE and Cook fit exactly what they were looking for. So while time will dictate whether or not the decision worked out well for the Packers, the decision to sign Cook, IMO, was a good one.