Lack of competition for Poppinga's starting spot?

Reaction score
Are you worried about the lack of competition for Poppinga's LB spot?

We have:

1. LB Tracy White - 4 year pro that had 11 tackles last year, with a career best of 39 tackles in his sophomore season with the Seahawks.

2. LB Desmond Bishop - Rookie that seems to be getting a little bit of attention. In his scouting report, he was described as being bad in coverage, but having good strength and being to take on the lead blocker to clog the lanes. He is thought to be a best suited to situational short-yardage plays, as his lack of speed makes him vulnerable. (Scouting Report)

3. LB Rory Johnson - Rookie that has good speed, but struggles to take on and subsequently disengage from O-lineman. His best position is listed as a weak side linebacker. (Scouting Report)

4. LB Juwan Simpson - Rookie that has good speed and is decent in coverage, but once again lacks the ability to take on and shed blockers. His best position is listed as a weak side linebacker. (Scouting Report)

* Note, Abdul Hodge is a MLB.

These names have been mentioned most in the coverage of the OTAs, and only Bishop is projected as a strong side linebacker. I think Poppinga improved, but still had trouble with taking on blockers to close lanes, and at times shedding blockers to make tackles.

I'd have like to have seen some competition for Popp's spot this year. He looks to be the starter by default, as opposed to beating someone out for the spot (like he did with Ben Taylor last year).

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
But Hawk and Popp's skill sets are entirely different.

I don't think you can say Taylor was supposed to start. If he was, I'm not sure why he was only signed to a one year contract. I think they signed Taylor to compete with Poppinga, and Popp won.

This year though, there isn't really much of a competition.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
But Hawk and Popp's skill sets are entirely different.

I don't think you can say Taylor was supposed to start. If he was, I'm not sure why he was only signed to a one year contract. I think they signed Taylor to compete with Poppinga, and Popp won.

Ben Taylor was supposed to start. It was the main reason he came to GB.

But Poppinga yoinked the job.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

You don't think I can say that? Maybe you should read the above post and you will clearly read I did say that. That means I can! I can! I can!

Ted signed a lot of guys to a one year contract. That doesn't mean he didn't intend on them to start. To me, lil ole me, signing someone to a one year contract is more or less like trial software. Just testing it to see how it is without going bonkers with the checkbook.

Umm, everyone is here for competition man, no one is here just to say they are a Packer. Even Woodson and Pickett had to beat out others. They weren't put on the field because of their years previous. They were put on the field because they were the best and gave the Packers the best chance to win.

You said there's not much competition. That worried me at first, because I somewhat agree. Then I remember how high they are on some Linebacker. I forget his name. Something Johnson? I'm not even sure what position he plays to be honest. I think he might be someone to keep an eye on though.

Also, as I think you mentioned previously, maybe Barnett will be more likely to a move to the outside now that he has his "last" contract. I say last loosely. I don't think he's going to get another big contract anytime soon. I think that was his 'big payday' so to speak.

That theory would mean Hodge is healthy and capable enough to run as MLB. I can't say I'm fond of that idea. He looked a bit slow against the Seahawks. Was his first game starting tho.

Blah blah blah. I can't see Poppinga sitting on the bench. I think he has improved his coverage skills quite a bit and he has more confidence in his knee now. Or whatever he had tore up. From what I read, mentally recovering from an injury can be harder than the injury itself.

I expect big things from out LB core this year. Poppies, Barnies and Hawkies should **** some **** up. It's after them three that I draw the line of concern.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
You said there's not much competition. That worried me at first, because I somewhat agree. Then I remember how high they are on some Linebacker. I forget his name. Something Johnson? I'm not even sure what position he plays to be honest. I think he might be someone to keep an eye on though.

Also, as I think you mentioned previously, maybe Barnett will be more likely to a move to the outside now that he has his "last" contract. I say last loosely. I don't think he's going to get another big contract anytime soon. I think that was his 'big payday' so to speak.

That theory would mean Hodge is healthy and capable enough to run as MLB. I can't say I'm fond of that idea. He looked a bit slow against the Seahawks. Was his first game starting tho.

Blah blah blah. I can't see Poppinga sitting on the bench. I think he has improved his coverage skills quite a bit and he has more confidence in his knee now. Or whatever he had tore up. From what I read, mentally recovering from an injury can be harder than the injury itself.

I expect big things from out LB core this year. Poppies, Barnies and Hawkies should **** some **** up. It's after them three that I draw the line of concern.

Rory Johnson projects to weak side LB, in his scouting report it states he has trouble taking on and shedding blockers.

That's my main problem with Poppinga also. For a converted DE, he doesn't seem to be doing too good a job taking on (and then disengaging) from o-linemen. He has the speed and strength to do the job, but I'm concerned that he has had some problems with blockers.

Good point about the injury, but at the very least having someone else other than Desmond Bihsop (who seems to be the only one projected as a strong side LB) would've been a good thing to do. If for nothing else than to just push Popp some more. I dunno, it just seems like Popp will be a starter by default as opposed to winning out a competition.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree with you, although Poppinga seems like one helluva intensity filled person. I don't think having someone compete with him is going to make him more efficient. He is smart enough to know if he slacks, they will find someone else and face it, the man enjoys the **** out of hitting people more than I see in other players. Nick Barnett comes to mind. I like Nick, always have even on his draft day, but I think Poppinga is going to shell out a nastier hit than Barnett any day.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, although Poppinga seems like one helluva intensity filled person. I don't think having someone compete with him is going to make him more efficient. He is smart enough to know if he slacks, they will find someone else and face it, the man enjoys the **** out of hitting people more than I see in other players. Nick Barnett comes to mind. I like Nick, always have even on his draft day, but I think Poppinga is going to shell out a nastier hit than Barnett any day.

Hawk I think hits the best outa the 3. I expect Poppinga to do play well again. especially in coverage. :bang:

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I expect Poppinga to do play well again. especially in coverage. :bang:

:shock: ESPECIALLY in coverage?

:beersign:

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully, he will only be in on first downs. and then we can take him out for a DB on passing downs. He should be OK in that situation.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wanted the pack to bring in kawika mitchell he is the same age as poppinga and signed a contract for $1 million with the giants. in kansas city he played all 3 lber spots. i like popp but i thought mitchell would be a low price quality back up.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all it was important to concentrate on a quality starting lineup that actually could play football and truly hold it's own out there. We have not had a quality defense in over five years.

It's actually nice to start isolating postions where we might get a better guy than the guy we have who happens to be way better than who was there before.

Poppinga was way better towards the end of the year last year and considering he was in virtually no live contact or did not play in any pre-season games he came very far.

Yes, we can start building on some depth there although that too is a heck of a lot better off than a couple of years ago. We didn't have a backup on defense that belonged in the NFL two years ago.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose SSLB COULD be considered an area of weakness due to weak competition. It's very difficult to field a team in the NFL w/o ANY weak areas. But I look to Popp to continue his improvement. He's a dedicated young man who knows that life in this NFL can be short-lived. No one will ever question the dedication that moved him to take on a 2 yr. mission for his Deity's sake. Not many would be so willing. I will watch his progress with much interest and hope for him.