Krys Barnes - Acknowledging 2020

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know I've gushed about Barnes some in pre-draft discussions, right after he went undrafted and then my excitement when we signed him. However, I think what he's done this season is well worth his own thread given what he's accomplished this year (of all years) as an UDFA.

SI did a full write up couple days ago HERE

Barnes is 12th on the team with 421 snaps but second with 78 tackles. A day after collecting a career-high 14 tackles in the win at Chicago, Barnes earned all-rookie honors from the Pro Football Journal on Monday.

Honestly, if the team hadn't kept trying to go back to Kirksey or reluctant to let the rookie keep progressing his snap counts and tackles would easily be much higher. The fact on limited snaps he is second in tackles speaks immense volumes to what he has become here.

For a point of reference:

Blake Martinez in 2019 played 98.9% of the snaps and tallied 155 Tackles with 98 being solos and chipped in 1 FF and 1 INT and 3 sacks. That is good for a credited tackle every 6.67 snaps.

Krys Barnes in 2020 has played only 41.3% of the snaps and has tallied 80 Tackles with 48 being solos and chipped in 1 FF and 1 Sack. That is good for a credited tackle every 5.29 snaps.

Barnes projects now roughly to be of a similar level of play as Martinez was for us. I kept hesitating to christen him the future at ILB to avoid folks calling me crazy...but I'm firmly planted in the camp now with the season wrapping up that Barnes is 100% part of our future at ILB and Kirksey sadly with his underperformance is not and will be cut in 2021.

Barnes still has a lot of growth to do, which is just mind blowing to think about given the rate of production we are receiving from him. Throw in a healthy Kamal Martin which has shown flashes as well and I'm thinking we may have a better ILB position than many realize - still an advocate for adding to it in the draft, but I'm not sure outside of an electric pass coverage ILB we could ask any draftee to perform better than Barnes already is.

No doubt there is going to continue to be some growing pain moments for Barnes, as there is for any rookie - especially one that doesn't hesitate on play reads (exposure to mistakes at times)...but I love the direction this young man and this position is heading.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's a keeper for sure! *oops...did i say that out loud?*

edit: you compared finished product martinez to noob barnes. i think barnes has way more upside.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Im.at work but in same link i posted about Pettine pc off packers.com he talks about kyrs..

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

edit: you compared finished product martinez to noob barnes. i think barnes has way more upside.

Is he possibly over achieving at the moment ?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh his ceiling is much higher, the question becomes whether this is his floor and he is merely overachieving to what is to come or he truly is that gem I had proclaimed he had signs to be.

I get the worry some have of him, and argument he is overachieving but I'd counter that this has been by the HARDEST season ever for UDFA's to make a roster, let alone contribute, let alone start at all...let alone be the best positional player on their team heading into the playoffs it appears.

Is he the answer at ILB for 2021....I don't know, but I know he is part of the answer for sure and Kirksey isn't.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There was very little pre-draft coverage of Barnes. He's the type of guy who was probably hurt the most by the way that COVID affected the pre-draft season. He didn't work out at the combine, he didn't fit in a true pro day before things shut down, and I don't even think Zierlein wrote him up for nfl.com (and he wrote up like 60 linebackers).

He claimed in one of those little mock pro day videos to run somewhere between a 4.62 and a 4.68, with a 7.00 3 cone and a short shuttle around 4.30. Those aren't amazing numbers, but if they're legit they are definitely serviceable.

The book on him coming out from what little I could find was that he was a really heady, instinctive linebacker who lacked the measurables. But the level of athleticism indicated above at 6'1" 235 lbs is totally adequate if a guy really does have plus instincts. So perhaps the Packers got a steal because he slipped through the cracks.

His production his last year at UCLA was pretty impressive. 74 tackles, 49 solo, 10 for a loss, 7 PBU's, and a pick.

It's a good thing they found him, because the Packers devalue the off-ball linebacker position. They've determined that that's not a position where you want to spend your premium capital. I think that makes a lot of sense, but if you're going to do that then it puts pressure on your scouting department to find those diamonds in the rough.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Barnes and Savage are the most responsible for our resurgence as a D with energy and strength. And everyone has gotten more energized imho. Wow, is Amos ever tackling great! Kirksey has improved a lot in the past couple weeks. Gary. A little nervous when Redmond is out there but really, everyone is playing with intensity. I love to see it and hope to see our offense continue to allow them to rest a bit.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the fact that an un drafted rookie now wears the green dot for the defense, is reason for the Def looking better?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know I've gushed about Barnes some in pre-draft discussions, right after he went undrafted and then my excitement when we signed him. However, I think what he's done this season is well worth his own thread given what he's accomplished this year (of all years) as an UDFA.

Honestly, if the team hadn't kept trying to go back to Kirksey or reluctant to let the rookie keep progressing his snap counts and tackles would easily be much higher. The fact on limited snaps he is second in tackles speaks immense volumes to what he has become here.

Blake Martinez in 2019 played 98.9% of the snaps and tallied 155 Tackles with 98 being solos and chipped in 1 FF and 1 INT and 3 sacks. That is good for a credited tackle every 6.67 snaps.

Krys Barnes in 2020 has played only 41.3% of the snaps and has tallied 80 Tackles with 48 being solos and chipped in 1 FF and 1 Sack. That is good for a credited tackle every 5.29 snaps.

Barnes projects now roughly to be of a similar level of play as Martinez was for us. I kept hesitating to christen him the future at ILB to avoid folks calling me crazy...but I'm firmly planted in the camp now with the season wrapping up that Barnes is 100% part of our future at ILB and Kirksey sadly with his underperformance is not and will be cut in 2021.

Barnes still has a lot of growth to do, which is just mind blowing to think about given the rate of production we are receiving from him. Throw in a healthy Kamal Martin which has shown flashes as well and I'm thinking we may have a better ILB position than many realize - still an advocate for adding to it in the draft, but I'm not sure outside of an electric pass coverage ILB we could ask any draftee to perform better than Barnes already is.

No doubt there is going to continue to be some growing pain moments for Barnes, as there is for any rookie - especially one that doesn't hesitate on play reads (exposure to mistakes at times)...but I love the direction this young man and this position is heading.

I think it is safe to say at this point he is the best interior linebacker on the Packers roster. And he's a rookie.

What a great find. Going forward, perhaps Green Bay will pair him with Kemal Martin, and perhaps they will grow and evolve into a dynamic duo for the Pack on the inside.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not quite at LB of the future but I'm close. Let's see what he does next year and if the production increases with a full training camp and off season workouts under his belt.

Members online

Latest posts