KNIGHT THEORY 2012

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict the Packers will "pass" up (pun not intended) a WR, TE, or RB.

Immediate offensive impact is never high on TT's list. It's TT's own personal brand of flamboyance to intentionally choose "unknown" offensive players every year - only to be considered a hero when one or two turn out better than expected.

Someone has to agree.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Immediate offensive impact is never high on TT's list. It's TT's own personal brand of flamboyance to intentionally choose "unknown" offensive players every year - only to be considered a hero when one or two turn out better than expected.

Someone has to agree.
I would venture that TT drafts players at 2 of those 3 positions sometime this weekend. Probably not before round 4 though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Was this intended to be humorous/sarcasm? That’s sometimes tough to convey so I’m just checking. If not, are you alleging Thompson passes up players he has rated higher in favor of "unknown" players in order to boost his ego?

OP
OP
K

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. For years now.

With the exception of Rodgers (who didn't play for 3 years), TT has never drafted a marquee offensive skill position in the first round.

He does this - knowing by picking enough players eligible to play professionally, one or two will turn out better than expected...then everyone thinks he is the smartest GM in history. He treats offense as a crapshoot.

The Packers haven't drafted a receiver in round 1 since Javon Walker. Every year, I make a bet with a friend that TT will skip an immediate offensive weapon in Round 1. Haven't lost yet.

Same with free agency, every year, you hear this big names thrown around...you know they won't be coming to Packland.

This is TT's personal brand of flamboyance.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I will match you with predicting that TT "passes" up a QB, a Punter, P/K, or Fullback in the first round this year as well!

You heard it here.

L

Lunchboxer

Correct. For years now.

With the exception of Rodgers (who didn't play for 3 years), TT has never drafted a marquee offensive skill position in the first round.

He does this - knowing by picking enough players eligible to play professionally, one or two will turn out better than expected...then everyone thinks he is the smartest GM in history. He treats offense as a crapshoot.

The Packers haven't drafted a receiver in round 1 since Javon Walker. Every year, I make a bet with a friend that TT will skip an immediate offensive weapon in Round 1. Haven't lost yet.

Same with free agency, every year, you hear this big names thrown around...you know they won't be coming to Packland.

So whats the problem. It has worked out well for us sence. I have fath in TT GM skills. Which to date has been very successful if you dident know.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. For years now.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the idea Thompson passes up players (whether they play offense or defense) he has rated higher in favor of unknown players in order to boost his ego is foolish on its face. It reminds me of the specious allegation Thompson wanted Favre gone because of Thompson's massive ego.

Thompson has conducted 7 drafts and selected 68 players yet you mention just one player he has drafted. That and your opinion that with the exception of Rodgers, he's "never drafted a marquee offensive skill position in the first round" is the only "evidence" you provide. Because your theory seems to center on the first round, the idea of "unknown" players is somewhat odd. Was there a player Thompson selected in the first round that you hadn't heard of?

Let's look at the evidence: Whether or not you view OT as a skill position it is certainly an impact position that is frequently targeted by NFL teams in the first round and rightly so. In addition to Rodgers, the ultimate marquee offensive skill position player, Thompson has taken two OTs in the first round. In 2008 the first player he selected was Jordy Nelson. Of course he was taken four spots into the second round as Thompson traded down 6 spots out of #30. A reasonable argument could be made that if Thompson wasn't able to trade out of the first round he would have selected Nelson. Whether you believe that or not, the fact remains in four of seven drafts the first player Thompson has selected plays offense.

Expanding a little beyond the first round, here's a look at the players on offense selected in the first two rounds of Thompson's Packers drafts: In 2005 he selected a QB in the first and a WR in the second round. In 2006 he selected a T/G (who ended up playing OG) and a WR in the second round. In 2007 he selected a RB in the second round. In 2008 he selected a WR and QB in the second round (as already mentioned, he traded out of round one). In 2009 he traded out of both the second and third rounds (and he had an extra third rounder) to pick two defenders for the new D scheme Capers was putting in place. In 2010 he selected an OT in the first round. In 2011 he selected an OT in the first round and a WR in the second round. So in seven drafts Thompson has exercised 17 picks in rounds one and two. 10 of those players play(ed) on offense. So in the first two rounds of the draft, Thompson has selected more players on offense than defense.

In order to prove your theory, you would have to present evidence that there was a player who plays offense that Thompson knew would become a marquee player (or at least had rated higher) on offense and he passed him up for an unknown player. Without having knowledge of the Packers' draft board that's very difficult to do. Not only have you failed to do so, you haven't offered a single possibility of that happening. In fact, IMO you have offered no evidence whatever.

BTW, I expect the top of this draft to emphasize defense so I expect the "unbalance" of picking more players on offense in the first two rounds to come into greater balance. But that will have nothing to do with Thompson's ego.

OP
OP
K

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer receivers are perhaps the best crew in the league- or at least in the top three of all the squads. What is your point?

If you really believe that, you may need glasses or an updated lens prescription. The receivers are run-of-the-mill.

Driver is nearing 40 (was a good receiver), Jones has never been very dangerous to begin with. Jennings is a solid receiver, and Nelson is developing into a credible threat.

With that said, Rodgers is a talented QB, and having a tall, dominant, fast receiver would be an improvement. The current receivers also drop too many passes, even when the ball is thrown right at them in perfect spiral.

OP
OP
K

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the idea Thompson passes up players (whether they play offense or defense) he has rated higher in favor of unknown players in order to boost his ego is foolish on its face. It reminds me of the specious allegation Thompson wanted Favre gone because of Thompson's massive ego.

Thompson has conducted 7 drafts and selected 68 players yet you mention just one player he has drafted. That and your opinion that with the exception of Rodgers, he's "never drafted a marquee offensive skill position in the first round" is the only "evidence" you provide. Because your theory seems to center on the first round, the idea of "unknown" players is somewhat odd. Was there a player Thompson selected in the first round that you hadn't heard of?

Let's look at the evidence: Whether or not you view OT as a skill position it is certainly an impact position that is frequently targeted by NFL teams in the first round and rightly so. In addition to Rodgers, the ultimate marquee offensive skill position player, Thompson has taken two OTs in the first round. In 2008 the first player he selected was Jordy Nelson. Of course he was taken four spots into the second round as Thompson traded down 6 spots out of #30. A reasonable argument could be made that if Thompson wasn't able to trade out of the first round he would have selected Nelson. Whether you believe that or not, the fact remains in four of seven drafts the first player Thompson has selected plays offense.

Expanding a little beyond the first round, here's a look at the players on offense selected in the first two rounds of Thompson's Packers drafts: In 2005 he selected a QB in the first and a WR in the second round. In 2006 he selected a T/G (who ended up playing OG) and a WR in the second round. In 2007 he selected a RB in the second round. In 2008 he selected a WR and QB in the second round (as already mentioned, he traded out of round one). In 2009 he traded out of both the second and third rounds (and he had an extra third rounder) to pick two defenders for the new D scheme Capers was putting in place. In 2010 he selected an OT in the first round. In 2011 he selected an OT in the first round and a WR in the second round. So in seven drafts Thompson has exercised 17 picks in rounds one and two. 10 of those players play(ed) on offense. So in the first two rounds of the draft, Thompson has selected more players on offense than defense.

In order to prove your theory, you would have to present evidence that there was a player who plays offense that Thompson knew would become a marquee player (or at least had rated higher) on offense and he passed him up for an unknown player. Without having knowledge of the Packers' draft board that's very difficult to do. Not only have you failed to do so, you haven't offered a single possibility of that happening. In fact, IMO you have offered no evidence whatever.

BTW, I expect the top of this draft to emphasize defense so I expect the "unbalance" of picking more players on offense in the first two rounds to come into greater balance. But that will have nothing to do with Thompson's ego.

As I've said before, during his tenure, TT has never drafted an immediate offensive-impact type player in the first round. Rodgers did not play for 3 years, and everyone knew this.

He did draft both Raji and Matthews 2009. He would never do that with offense.

It's simple "Thompsonomics". Always draft receivers and runningbacks late, one turns out good, everyone is amazed. He actually spends money on defensive picks, and the defense isn't as good as it should be for all those picks.

I'll predict Halley's comet makes a return before the pack drafts an immediate offensive impact player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. For years now.

Here's the thing with TT and first round flamboyance - it is the same as the string theory in physics trying to explain to the beginning of the source in that the contrary truth is not truth itself but for its own purpose - a placebo for the human condition. This is, of course, in history, that genius fails to archive the real anticipation of choice. And don't get me going on the lack of offensive weapons. Clearly TT is purposely hindering the performance of this underperforming unit - don't be confused by the 2nd highest rated offense in the history of the NFL - it is of course contrary to the greater underlying mechanics of expected outcomes with challenging the 'id' in a limiting existence by self-actuallizing experience that TT seems entirely incapable. Plus he wants to kill whales.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's simple "Thompsonomics". Always draft receivers and runningbacks late, one turns out good, everyone is amazed.
Always take 'em late, huh? You must consider the second and third round late. WR Murphy was selected in the second round, WR Jennings was selected in the second round, WR Jones was selected in the third round, WR Nelson was selected at the top of the second round, TE Finley was selected in the third round and I include him because he's a 'quasi' WR, and WR Cobb was selected in the second round. RB Jackson was selected in the second round and RB Green was selected in the third round. Would you be happier if Thompson had reached for Jennings or Nelson in the first round?

He actually spends money on defensive picks, and the defense isn't as good as it should be for all those picks.
Here's a quote from McGinn's article today.

In general manager Ted Thompson's seven drafts, a startling preponderance of choices have been allocated to the offense. Look at the first six choices of Thompson's seven drafts. Twenty-seven of the 42 have played offense whereas 15 have played defense. In Dom Capers' three seasons as defensive coordinator, the ratio is 12-6. It's a critical reason why the Packers' personnel on offense is so much better than it is on defense.
IMO McGinn is more knowledgeable than either of us.

Posting that you think the Packers receiver corp is "run of the mill" makes me wonder whether you were one of the Packers fans upset at Thompson for not "getting weapons" for Favre and for accepting and then enforcing Favre's retirement from the Packers. I post that only because that's the case with many Packers fans who have an anti-Thompson agenda.

You still haven't presented a single pick to back up your claim that Thompson passes up higher rated players and intentionally chooses "unknown" offensive players to boost his ego… If you aren't willing to present facts to back up your "theory" there's not much sense in continuing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always take 'em late, huh? You must consider the second and third round late. WR Murphy was selected in the second round, WR Jennings was selected in the second round, WR Jones was selected in the third round, WR Nelson was selected at the top of the second round, TE Finley was selected in the third round and I include him because he's a 'quasi' WR, and WR Cobb was selected in the second round. RB Jackson was selected in the second round and RB Green was selected in the third round. Would you be happier if Thompson had reached for Jennings or Nelson in the first round?
Here's a quote from McGinn's article today.
IMO McGinn is more knowledgeable than either of us.

Posting that you think the Packers receiver corp is "run of the mill" makes me wonder whether you were one of the Packers fans upset at Thompson for not "getting weapons" for Favre and for accepting and then enforcing Favre's retirement from the Packers. I post that only because that's the case with many Packers fans who have an anti-Thompson agenda.

You still haven't presented a single pick to back up your claim that Thompson passes up higher rated players and intentionally chooses "unknown" offensive players to boost his ego… If you aren't willing to present facts to back up your "theory" there's not much sense in continuing.
TJV, I'm pretty sure this is the guy known as 'tank'. At least that was the first user name on some other site he used. Don't bother trying to explain anything using logic, reason, or common sense. He will be gone in a week or two - its always the same old stuff with this one. He was very loyal to Sherman - just the hiring of TT is what set this guy off.

OP
OP
K

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I repeat, TT will never draft an immediate offensive weapon in the first round. It's going to prove itself true again this year. I am predicting the future for you.

I don't care about rounds 2-7.

OP
OP
K

KNIGHTTIME

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV, I'm pretty sure this is the guy known as 'tank'. At least that was the first user name on some other site he used. Don't bother trying to explain anything using logic, reason, or common sense. He will be gone in a week or two - its always the same old stuff with this one. He was very loyal to Sherman - just the hiring of TT is what set this guy off.

I preferred Lindy Infante. I was a Majkowski fan.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I repeat, TT will never draft an immediate offensive weapon in the first round. It's going to prove itself true again this year. I am predicting the future for you.

I don't care about rounds 2-7.
Shaun Alexander. TT was GM of the Seahawks. Is the 2nd best offense in the history of the NFL not good enough?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll bet his ego was really stroked as he slipped on that Super Bowl ring for the first time.

What a loser.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of thought someone was trolling from the start. When picking later in the first round most years, it is kind of hard to grab the immediate big name threat on offense. Good problem to have. Wish we'd have taken Vernon Davis though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing with TT and first round flamboyance - it is the same as the string theory in physics trying to explain to the beginning of the source in that the contrary truth is not truth itself but for its own purpose - a placebo for the human condition. This is, of course, in history, that genius fails to archive the real anticipation of choice. And don't get me going on the lack of offensive weapons. Clearly TT is purposely hindering the performance of this underperforming unit - don't be confused by the 2nd highest rated offense in the history of the NFL - it is of course contrary to the greater underlying mechanics of expected outcomes with challenging the 'id' in a limiting existence by self-actuallizing experience that TT seems entirely incapable. Plus he wants to kill whales.

I was right also!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts